• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this a glitch, or normal behaviour?

LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2011 Sep 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood that if the original poster marked a post as the Correct Answer, that post was immediately embedded in the opening post, and the thread was automatically marked as Answered. However, I have just seen this in the forums in Spanish, with the first answered marked as Correct but with the question marked "Assumed Answered" and no embedding:

Assumed.jpg

Is this normal, or a glitch?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that here in the AE forum simply to avoid

embedding a response in the first post.

I marked 'Assumed Answered', but did not assign a correct answer.

Maybe this is what happened in your example?

edit:

Is that an OP designated 'Correct Answer' ath the bottom of your screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joe bloe premiere wrote:

I did that here in the AE forum simply to avoid

embedding a response in the first post.

I marked 'Assumed Answered', but did not assign a correct answer.

Maybe this is what happened in your example?

edit:

Is that an OP designated 'Correct Answer' ath the bottom of your screenshot?

The bottom of the screenshot is the beginning of the first answer of the thread (message #1), that has been marked as the Correct Answer by someone I have no way of knowing who. So it is not the same case of your cunning way to avoid embedding messages...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.

If it works that way on a Spanish forum, why not here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I knew that, most probably I wouldn't have needed to post my question...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for echoing your concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did add a ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2011 Sep 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio, Joe.

If we are lucky, it means that it is possible to BOTH mark the thread Assumed Answered AND mark an answer as Correct and thereby avoid the embedding; it may be necessary to do it in that order.

If that is the case, there may be something for John and the team to work on now, rather than hope/wait for a change some day as a result of the feature request linked to in post #4 here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/904380?tstart=0

Obviously, someone will have to try the possible combinations, and there may be some pondering over how it may be done.

It it is just the way it works in the Spanish forum (and maybe in the French, German, and Japanese forums), maybe a renaming is called for, to the Blessed Forum(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I have just attempted it in the Testing forum, and it didn't work:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3935807#3935807

I don't have the time now, but perhaps later today I will try again in the forum in Spanish.

Incidentally, I have doing some moretesting on these new features here, and would appreciate help from others:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/905948?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I have now performed my tests in the forum in Spanish, and I got exactly the same results than in the Testing thread, already reported above. And I have just noticed that in the thread of my OP, the "Correct" answer was posted September 16, before the upgrade, so the anomaly could be related with the upgrade. Although marking a post as Correct did mark the thread as Answered before the upgrade...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we are lucky, it means that it is possible to BOTH mark the thread Assumed Answered AND mark an answer as Correct and thereby avoid the embedding

Do I understand that some of you are going out of your way to avoid an embedded correct answer?

May I ask why?  It's not like the "Correct Answer" should be embarrassing or that it detracts.

The forum is what it is, made that way on purpose...  Do you think you need to game it to make it "better" somehow?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

If we are lucky, it means that it is possible to BOTH mark the thread Assumed Answered AND mark an answer as Correct and thereby avoid the embedding

Do I understand that some of you are going out of your way to avoid an embedded correct answer?

May I ask why?  It's not like the "Correct Answer" should be embarrassing or that it detracts.

The forum is what it is, made that way on purpose...  Do you think you need to game it to make it "better" somehow?

-Noel

Maybe not, but we can try avoiding that it is made any worse. Embedded "correct" answers are not an improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again you write your opinion as unassailable fact - which says what, exactly, to people who don't happen to agree with you?

But thanks for your thoughts. 

It's not really up to us to say what is "better" or "worse", IMO.  That's already been decided.

People who get feedback about what's wrong with the forum from lots of people who have tried to use it apparently thought that making the "Correct" answer more prominent was a Good Thing for future folks who find threads via searches.  Who are we to question that?

Frankly I wouldn't blame the folks who run the site one bit if they were to consider trying to circumvent the Correct Answer embedding mechanism a form of forum abuse!

But hey, knock yourselves out.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

You may have a look at some (posts in) different threads; Claudio is actually a late contributor.

The two topmost threads in the Forum Black Hole (including post #2 in the longer one, by a good friend of mine).

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3922560#3922560

Posts #10+15+16+17 (maybe others too)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/904380?tstart=0

OP + posts #4+5+7+8+9 (and the rest)

As it appears (post #5), John sent the feature request 4 days ago, before Claudio had even seen the issue, and

3 days before this thread was started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I happen to think the embedded Correct Answer makes the forum more directly useful to people coming in cold via a search.  Clearly whomever designed the feature felt that way as well.  I thought from comments JC gave during the beta that it was done on purpose. 

In the subforums I've been in there are often a number of posts requesting more information, etc., before the "Correct Answer" is given.

Should I stand by and say nothing when I perceive activity to IMO reduce the forum usefulness?  Not my style.  But it's pretty clear my opinion is not shared by all others, and I respect that.

Regarding your comment, Phillip, I guess we will all just have to avoid giving Boneheaded answers. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Regarding your comment, Phillip, I guess we will all just have to avoid giving Boneheaded answers. 

-Noel

The more experienced will. But the problem is persons that only have very new experience, after they have been on a few days or a month start answering questions.

I can remember, when I was green that I was chastised on this group for giving answers that worked for me. But others paointed out that were dangerous. Over the years, I learned simply to research and Point out often with images so They could see results.  The experience has taken years of experience. 

Instead of Marking a Particular reply as the correct one. It should be marked as Helpful and the question itself is marked answered. but not tied to a particular reply. That way other people can reply with perhaps better answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in all fairness I believe it's possible for moderators now to unmark boneheaded answers.  But beyond that, does anyone really believe every word they read online?  I don't think you give people enough credit for being able to discern what's boneheaded and what's not for themselves.  That said, an awful lot of people do espouse things like registry "cleaners"...  But even they ultimately learn.

But the concept of "Correct Answer" isn't new with this recent forum upgrade, and I don't think its complete removal is under consideration...  Nor apparently does Adobe control in great detail the specific features of the forum, since it's software store-bought from Jive.  I just can't begin to imagine why Jive/Adobe trying to make more out of the "Correct Answer" facility is a big deal.  We see it on other forums running the Jive software as well as non-Jive forums (Microsoft's forums all have "The Answer" capability).  People come to expect it.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While there is very few newbies on this forum. On the product forums, if you’re a newbie, yes until you become more experienced. Many of us have our war scars. But there are many whom have just purchased a product, and Come to forums the first time.

It's those we have to worry about.

I can remember  my first times on the net receiving answers then was lauaghed at for swallowing the answers. I've seen other newbies get similar treatment over the past 30 years or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Again you write your opinion as unassailable fact - which says what, exactly, to people who don't happen to agree with you?

But thanks for your thoughts. 

It's not really up to us to say what is "better" or "worse", IMO.  That's already been decided.

People who get feedback about what's wrong with the forum from lots of people who have tried to use it apparently thought that making the "Correct" answer more prominent was a Good Thing for future folks who find threads via searches.  Who are we to question that?

Frankly I wouldn't blame the folks who run the site one bit if they were to consider trying to circumvent the Correct Answer embedding mechanism a form of forum abuse!

But hey, knock yourselves out.

-Noel

Noel, the matter of marking an answer as "correct" has been discussed at length in at least one other thread before the upgrade, and I don't feel like starting it again. All I can say is that I very much question, as many others, that the original poster is by nature a good judge to decide which answer is "correct". I'll just repeat an argument I have used before:

One answer could well be "press the Shift and Esc keys while you tap three times at your monitor" (and I have seen many that are terribly similar to this). Now, it could well happen, as we all know, that when the OP happens to do as told, the problem magically disappears. And obviously he will mark that answer as "correct" in gratitude.

That, as it is, can be damaging enough for future newcomers with the same problem. Embedding that answer in the original post and prominently showing it as The Correct Answer will not help newcomers at all. I am sorry that you cannot see that my concern -and that of many others- is with newcomers, not with oldtimers.

And yes, I'll follow your advise. I am knocking myself out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shall we call medics to stand by?  Selecting a special font for every post is undoubtedly hard work.  

In all seriousness, I've often felt that the old "squeaky wheel gets the grease" adage seems to apply especially strongly to online forums.

What if, for example, out of 100 people, 95 think things are just fine, while 5 make a big stink about something they don't like?  It would be hard to find a 20 to 1 ratio of "I like this" vs. "I hate this" posts.  People who are happy about something simply don't complain about being happy, nor do they very often say stuff like, "Wow, I upgraded to version N and it works fine!"

And before judging me, know this:  I admit I'm as guilty as anyone of being squeaky about something *I* personally think needs improving.

I also take my share of heat when I stand up for something that I like against others who are squeaky and try to belittle or band together against anyone who tries to block their grease.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if the "Correct" answer is actually a Boneheaded answer That may actually do damage. The other are likely not continue answering the question with better answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Yes.

The reason is that there was no single answer that encapsulated all variables that I,

as the original poster felt needed to be considered as a part of the correct response.

If I could have marked more than two responses as 'Helpful', I would have done just that.

Your suggestion that the intent is avoiding potential embarrassment is ludicrous.

I think the point has been well made here, here and in this very thread that

the concern is making the forum the best place for users new and old to find

the best, most complete information to resolve an issue without undue confusion.

The advocates of this concern are not only the folks participating in this particular

thread, but also two of the leading 'CP' and 'Employee' contributors to the

Premiere forum (where I spend most of my time).

In fact, there was a recent thread initiated by a 'CP' that expressed a consensus

opinion regarding the criticality of responders having good factual info before

choosing to contribute a reply to a questioner's thread.

It appears you alone are the very vocal minority regarding this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm what you consider "very vocal", well, then you're just going to have to get some earplugs.

Perhaps I'm just the only one willing to stand up and say that the way things are isn't all bad.

I don't happen to frequent the Premiere forum but rather the Photoshop forum, and I can tell you that the "Correct Answer" facility works just fine there.  Maybe it has more to do with the personalities of the folks in the forums you visit than the merits of the feature.  Joe, do you feel that being confrontational, and hiding behind a silly "anonymous" handle, to be an effective way to communicate?  Do you expect people to take you seriously?  You seem to be taking this feature and discussion of same awfully seriously.

People all make mistakes.  It's a fact of life.  You want people to all jump on your head when you make one?  Lighten up.

Hey, I didn't invent the Correct Answer facility.  I just happen to think it has merit and strive to use it the best way possible.

Don't look now, but management clearly wants MORE ways for users to rate others' posts, not less.  Note the appearance of all the additional Rating and Like and social networking BS.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! You really put me in my place!

Thanks for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, but all I did was ask some leading questions.  Apparently you answered them all by yourself.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines