Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ISSUE with "Never Again" LSO selection on Global Storage Settings Panel

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2009 Jul 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am really Draconian when it comes to my Privacy, so do forgive the below "Rant.:

I trusted that when Adobe offered a method to prevent LSO's (Local Shared Objects - the "Flashcookie") from being saved on my computer by selecting the "Never Again" check box ion the Global Storage Settings Panel that it would work. ( http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html ).

Guess what: It Doesn't Work!!!  Try it, visit a bunch of sites and then go back to the Global Storage Settings Panel and delete the LSO's.  Trust me, they will be there.

Here are my Big Issues:

Issue 1: There is no effective way to prevent the LSO's from getting onto your computer.  There are ways to remove them (Plugins for Flash: NoScript, Better Privacy), but they are all "after the Barn Door has been FORCED OPEN."

Fix 1: Adobe should provide a real method to block LSO's, not a "bait-and-switch" method.

Issue 2: Privacy.  With no method to remove the LSO's, and the average computer user not knowing about LSO's, the issue of Privacy is a big concern.  With no way to block LSO's (Issue 1 above) it is becoming an issue of "Invasion of Privacy."  In the "real world" this would be a criminal offense.

Fix 2: As Fix 1, a real method to block LSO's.

Issue 3: Viruses.  I have found  viruses in LSO's.  They are difficult to find as this is a recent development, but it will soon explode.

Fix 3: As Fix 1, a real method to block LSO's.

So, we the "User's" are left at the mercy of these LSO's thanks to Adobe; that is until Adobe (or another 3rd party agent) provides a proper fix; Good Luck with that!  And you thought that Microsoft was an Evil Empire.

Nadrakas.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a forum to post comments about forums, talk about how to make the forums a better place to live and raise kids. But what you wrote was interesting to read anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9,

I looked at the Forum and saw that there were similar posts, thus I posted.

I reported this here and to Adobe (I created a Support Case).  If people don't think this should be on the Forums, well sorry - I think this should get out and be deciminated.  While you can visit Adobe and use the Global Storage Setting Panel to remove the LSO's, you shouldn't have to -- there should be a way on your own computer, while you are off-line, to remove them.  The fact that Adobe doesn't provide a method for you to do this, that a "third party" work-around has to be used to remove the LSO's from your own computer (besides doing a "search & destroy" for them on your computer) and that LSO's are cross-platform, makes this a very big issue.  Privacy, Viruses and the issues with the Global Storage Setting Panel (Which gives people a false sense of security) needs to be brought to peoples attention.  Remember: "Cookies" are 4 kb - LSO's are much bigger.  "Cookies" have had viruses (tracking, keystroke, etc) in them -- imagine what someone is going to be able to do with LSO's.

Again, if you don't think this needs to be here then sorry.  For those who do, please be careful with the LSO's on your computer.  Bug Adobe for a permanent "fix".

(/rant)

Nadrakas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to apologize, we don't mind the many misplaced posts here, but what's the use of posting this here?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If people don't think this should be on the Forums, well sorry - I think this should get out and be deciminated.

It should be on the forums – just not this one!

Try posting it on http://forums.adobe.com/community/webplayers/flash_player

(By the way, the word is "disseminated" from sowing seeds widely.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines