• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Legal to install Adobe Design Suite on my friends PC?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2009 Oct 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to ask if it was legal to install Adobe Design Suite on my friends PC? I have the student edition of Adobe Design Suite CS4 and im not sure how many times i am allowed to install it for myself let alone for another person. She is also a valid student and holds a student card. Obviously i didn't pay a lot of money for it to run out of licence uses so i don't want to go over my own amount if i do a reboot for instance. The Microsoft office student edition only has 3 licence uses as an example.

Any replies are already well thanked.

James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Oct 04, 2009 Oct 04, 2009

You should be able to *deactivate* the product BEFORE you reformat your hard drive.  After the reformat, reinstall of the OS etc, you should be able to reinstall the Suite and *reactivate* it.

My understanding is that for CS3, there are a maximum number of activate/deactivate cycles (which, for the record I feel is ENTIRELY INAPPROPRIATE, given that we have paid for the software).

Also, if there is a significant change in the hardware configuration, you might not be able to reactivate without a ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James

I'm not an Adobe attorney and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I can't fake being one but I'd have to say that it's probably NOT legal to do this. My guess is that your friend would need to acquire their own copy of the software.

As an aside, you asked this question in a forum intended to discuss forum issues. You might be better suited to asking this question in a different venue.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try here:

Creative Suite forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry guys. i didnt know which section it would go under as its a package question not a program specific related one.

il repost it somewhere better thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not really Creative Suite specific either. Given there's no 'general' forum, I think here is as good as anywhere. I think it's disallowed - the point of being able to install any application on two computers, eg desktop/laptop, is that the person who owns the licence may be using the application on two machines at different times. It's not meant as a way of sharing with someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the EULA for most Paid Applications including Adobe's You only allowed to install on a Desktop, a Laptop Computer YOU Own. And usually (atleast MS) you allowed to put a copy on a Backup but is not to be used.

Now if your selling the  package to your PC buddy, including all the documentation, and send appropriate documentation to Adobe. And remove all traces from your machine(s) possibly.

Then if your helping your PC buddies install their own Copy go ahead, that's okay

(Please note information is given by an Experienced User of Acrobat. I am not an employee of Adobe.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, 2 activations only applies to retail and academic versions, the student version is only allowed 1 activation.

and academic and student versions can't be transferred or sold.

You really need to get your info straight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko. wrote:

Phillip, 2 activations only applies to retail and academic versions, the student version is only allowed 1 activation.

and academic and student versions can't be transferred or sold.

Wasn't aware there was really a difference. In Office  you get the same identical program you just have to fille out documentation to get the discount. There is only one version above the standard version that has one more application included. But most people don't get it.

In any event,  You can't put on your bud's machine. You can help you bud install his own copy.

(Please note information is given by an Experienced User of Acrobat. I am not an employee of Adobe.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko. wrote:

Like THAT'S going to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I've learned something Didn't know the rules were different for academic/student editions, not that I'll ever need either. In any case, it's stilll no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

Buko. wrote:

Like THAT'S going to happen.

I can get it straight, if I am told if its different. I did learn something, that terms were different for Student version. And if another question comes up about Student activation I will its a one shot deal , no ifs, ands, or buts.

Does make it tough on students  though. If computer crashes , which is likely to happen ina student setting with all that josling around, or Beer getting spilled on Computer, or whatever reason that makes computer blow up. Means unles thay can get a reactiivation. They have to buy all over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opticon12000 wrote:

Just wanted to ask if it was legal to install Adobe Design Suite on my friends PC?

It seems that nobody has given you a clear answer.

the answer is NO!

also had you read the EULA you would know that students only have one activation. I would imagine that you would be using that. Adobe software is not Microsoft software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay then, so the question now is. If i format my own harddrive and install it again if i want to do a fresh install, will it deny me of doing so. Or is it only when i install it and try to use it on two machines. Will it mind if i reinstall it on my PC again after a format?

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to *deactivate* the product BEFORE you reformat your hard drive.  After the reformat, reinstall of the OS etc, you should be able to reinstall the Suite and *reactivate* it.

My understanding is that for CS3, there are a maximum number of activate/deactivate cycles (which, for the record I feel is ENTIRELY INAPPROPRIATE, given that we have paid for the software).

Also, if there is a significant change in the hardware configuration, you might not be able to reactivate without a call to Adobe support (which, from the complaints lately, is not a very fast option).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay thanks. at the end of the day like you said. we did pay for it. i forgot about that deactivate option up there, wondered where that would come in handy. At least there is a help desk, but as any help desk goes its always a last resort to talk to (or try to talk to) someone to get things working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the above statements You get on activation. which means if you were to deactive and try to reactivate that would be second which is not allowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, no, no PJ, that is *not* what it means!  It means that there are something like 20+ activation/deactivation cycles.  IF you get new hardware, and you cannot get the program to activate, you WILL have to call Adobe, explain to them the changes and they will most likely give you a new activation number.  They are, in theory, trying to prevent putting the program on multiple computers/jump drives etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there's a bit of a mix-up here. Buko says, and he seems to know, that the student edition has only one activation. I take that to mean you can't have two simultaneous activations, in the way you can with the full versions.

That needn't mean that if you repair/rebuild your computer you can never use the application again - surely it means that if possible you should de-activate first (so then there's no problem re-activating) or if you don't get chance before the hard drive turns its toes up, you would need to contact Adobe to re-activate.

I'm in complete agreement that the activation limit is scandalous. Having paid for the licence, I should be free to install it on whichever of my computers I like, given that only two can be activated at any one time. As often as I like. I'm very sceptical about just how effective the activation system is against piracy anyway. I doubt whether people who are so inclined have too much trouble finding ways round it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GreenJumpy just explained. And I wrote a response.

The original response was : Your only allow one activation. Instead Jumpy explained: Your only allowed to activate on one machine only.  Which I suppose is better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Phillip, I know - we cross-posted. Let's not beat it to death.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PJ's back yard must be full of dead horses.

Unless he's flogged them to the knackers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

I think there's a bit of a mix-up here. Buko says, and he seems to know, that the student edition has only one activation. I take that to mean you can't have two simultaneous activations, in the way you can with the full versions.

Kath hit the nail on the head.

I'm sure this was done so students would not be sharing licenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

no, no, no PJ, that is *not* what it means!  It means that there are something like 20+ activation/deactivation cycles.  IF you get new hardware, and you cannot get the program to activate, you WILL have to call Adobe, explain to them the changes and they will most likely give you a new activation number.  They are, in theory, trying to prevent putting the program on multiple computers/jump drives etc.

Thanks. According to the above info as was worded One activation implies one activation That's it finished, kaput. Howevr, Your saying Activation only one machine is allowed, Which is far more reasonable. If they wre to have computer crash or computer stolen . The first way would mean they would have to fork out money evertime something happens.  This sounds more reasonable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 20 activate/deactivate cycle is just plain wrong. What in the world are the shirts thinking?

( I am not a Adobe employee but I have slept at a Holiday Inn Express)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

The 20 activate/deactivate cycle is just plain wrong. What in the world are the shirts thinking?

( I am not a Adobe employee but I have slept at a Holiday Inn Express)

The thing that scares me the most about it is that BEFORE I knew this was the case, I don't know how many hard drive reformats I have done.  As a result, I don't know how many cycles I have remaining.

They don't want folks to pirate their software, and I fully agree with that, but then they hamper the paying clients like this?  I am sure there must be activation cracks out there ... and there will likely be folks who will feel the need to go that road, rather than try to deal with the support staff and feel like they have to beg for an activation for the software they paid hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines