• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Log-in condition not mentioned elsewhere...

Contributor ,
Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...at least, I haven't seen anyone else refer to this, but it's possible I've missed it. And that is...

Every once in a while I've noticed that I'll log-in, or return to the forums from elsewhere (another domain) and see that I'm logged in to the forums, but at the very top left of the page I'll see that I'm NOT logged in to my Adobe account. I can't discern any pattern in how or when or under what conditions this will occur. It could be that it's happening while the system is being tweaked on the back-end; of course there's noway for me to know when that situation is occuring.

Anybody else notice that? Anybody figure out a pattern for it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

jochemd wrote:

Your Adobe login is based on a cookie with a fixed expiry date about 24 hours into the future (AUID for .adobe.com). Your forums login is based on the jsessionid session cookie. So if you keep your session to the forums alive for more then 24 hours without visiting the Adobe site, your AUID cookie will expire, you will be logged out of your Adobe account, but your dorums account is still active.

It's all in your cookies.

Who cares?

They just need to fix the ******* cookies so that we

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens often, both ways:  logged in to the forum but not the account, and vice versa.

There's no pattern, no rhyme or reason.

AAAAAAAAAA.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Adobe login is based on a cookie with a fixed expiry date about 24 hours into the future (AUID for .adobe.com). Your forums login is based on the jsessionid session cookie. So if you keep your session to the forums alive for more then 24 hours without visiting the Adobe site, your AUID cookie will expire, you will be logged out of your Adobe account, but your dorums account is still active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

Who cares?

They just need to fix the ******* cookies so that we can stay logged in indefinitely.

Never mind the rubbish forum layout, this log-in business is a total fiasco that is really alienating serious users.

Pathetic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2009 Apr 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

jochemd wrote:

Who cares?

They just need to fix the ******* cookies so that we can stay logged in indefinitely.

Never mind the rubbish forum layout, this log-in business is a total fiasco that is really alienating serious users.

Pathetic!

A'yup.

It's another case of the optional control being withheld from the end user. If I WANT to stay logged in for 5-10 years, I should be able to do so. For those folks who—for whatever reason—want to log out, or are required to log out, then they should do so consciously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! 30-40 years would be even better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's all great until someone leaves themselves logged in at a cyber cafe and someone goes in and buys up the super deluxe creative sweeties on that persons chacrge card. then adobe gets sued. because of inadequate security measures on sensitive user info.

the solution is NOT to have a question and answer forum id tied to an account that has purchasing power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't refererring to adobe.com.

The way it works now is  that signing into Adobeforums, does not sign you into to Adobe Com. But signing into adobe.com does login you into adobe forums.  (for me).

Whats needed is to have a separate Username/Password authetication server for Adobe.com and Adobe forums.com perhaps even located in a different city. And software in cafes' (Micky-Deed's whatever) should be set not to save Cookies and to accept only. session cookies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats needed is to have a separate Username/Password authetication server for Adobe.com and Adobe forums.com

yes, that's what i said. thanks for clarifying that for me.

perhaps even located in a different city.

um, how would that make any differnce? they could be on the same physical machine and you'd never know the difference.

And software in cafes' (Micky-Deed's whatever) should be set not to save Cookies and to accept only. session cookies.

why should it be their responsibility? don't answer that. the answer is IT'S NOT.

/. (slahdot.org) has a "public terminal" login option that saves nothing to the client. if adobe's going to insist on this tied system, they should have something like that. that way a user can choose to remain logged in on a home machine, or they can check the "public terminal" box and get logged out at the end of every session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just signed out (hint: there's only one sign-out link, so once you're out, you're out of both places). Signed back in via 'Your Account' not Login/Register - and I'm also signed in to the forums. So no, Phillip, you've got that wrong. What happens then is that I'll get logged out of one or the other, but not simultaneously. That's when you're in and out at the same time, once for adobe.com, once for the forums.

Anyway, it doesn't matter - agreed that the systems need to be separate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave's right, it doesn't matter in the slightest exactly where the servers are. No-one can control what happens on public computers re cookies, so the system must cover worst-case scenario, where people can leave the machine and it's still logged in to their account indefinitely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kath-H wrote:

I just signed out (hint: there's only one sign-out link, so once you're out, you're out of both places). Signed back in via 'Your Account' not Login/Register - and I'm also signed in to the forums. So no, Phillip, you've got that wrong. What happens then is that I'll get logged out of one or the other, but not simultaneously. That's when you're in and out at the same time, once for adobe.com, once for the forums.

Anyway, it doesn't matter - agreed that the systems need to be separate.

Reread what I said. I said the other night when they had a problem with the login/register link for the foums I went to my Account and signed in there. I was signed into both.

But if I signed in at Login/register  then I was signed in to forum but not adobe.com (where I buy applications get support for products)

So if I sign through adobe com I am signed into both. If I am signed in through just adobeforums, then I am just signed into forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

Whats needed is to have a separate Username/Password authetication server for Adobe.com and Adobe forums.com

yes, that's what i said. thanks for clarifying that for me.

perhaps even located in a different city.

um, how would that make any differnce? they could be on the same physical machine and you'd never know the difference.

And software in cafes' (Micky-Deed's whatever) should be set not to save Cookies and to accept only. session cookies.

why should it be their responsibility? don't answer that. the answer is IT'S NOT.

/. (slahdot.org) has a "public terminal" login option that saves nothing to the client. if adobe's going to insist on this tied system, they should have something like that. that way a user can choose to remain logged in on a home machine, or they can check the "public terminal" box and get logged out at the end of every session.

That sounds like a Great idea. I've used and aol client on a Hotel Computer for patrons of the Hotel and it setup not to save user names and passwords.maybe the use a system like your talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines