• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

McAffee software push on flash update

Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a professional company of this size, having a pre-selected download of McAfee antivirus when performing a standard flash update is a very aggressive manipulation of what should be a fairly effortless process. Have the option there, fine, but don't pre-select it. There are certain to be thousands of users not needing the software nor wanting it installed, that might stumble into an installation and waste time trying to prevent an install, or worse confused at just what exactly is being installed and the complications that will arise.

What's really horrible about this is that it's already done, this is already happening to many users right now who are downloading the newest flash update. This kind of aggressive user manipulation is going too far. Adobe is better than this, I expect a much more professional experience from this company.

You need to seriously consider the consequences of utilizing aggressive persuasive technology like this. It might seem like an innocuous pre-selected option box, but if the user doesn't notice the box or what they're unintentionally signing up for, you've got a serious usability issue on your hands.

There are far better, less aggressive solutions to elicit downloads. And you can't tell me that Adobe isn't making enough money already on their very expensive suite of tools, to warrant whatever kind of payoff McAffee is offering.

I hope this message somehow finds its way to the Adobe UX/UI department, and that you guys think more carefully about the kind of reputation you're earning for Adobe with decisions like this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>hope this message somehow finds its way to

As a user, I would say just about ZERO chance of that... from this forum

Try this Possible email address for feedback adbecare@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I booted up my puter moments ago to see the update and was furious to see just what you described. This was a move among the highest order of douchebaggery. I rarely post in any forum, however I was moved to create a new topic on this very matter when I saw this thread.

I'm Happy to see that someone beat me to the punch and was much more professional and eloquent than I intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this is a user to user forum. How do you expect us fellow users to help you to solve your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure of the forum, for douchebaggery, but there must be one. Maybe Claudio know which it is?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, I don't, and I didn't even know the word (I found it in Urban Dictionary, not in any of the standard dictionaries). I suggest asking Google; he seems to know (almost) everything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines