Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Forum unusable: Terrible search function and too slow

Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this was probably posted before, but the more posts the more likely it may be that an Adobe official takes notice of the problems.

Problem 1: A "Search this forum"-button is mandatory to be able to use the forums. Currently, each search provides search results from all forums. Using the Options-button to narrow the search results down each time is much too slow (see also problem 2) and the selection field is badly sorted. Hasn´t anybody tested this function before migrating?

Problem 2: The new forum is even slower than the old one was. Developers probably have multicore systems and bandwith enough, but for users who are restricted to use dedicated Internet gate computers (and who have less bandwidth) like us it takes at least 30 Seconds for each Adobe page to display and to be clickable. When I type, the letters appear several seconds delayed. Reduce the layout and Flash, increase the usability.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robert-sfl wrote:

I know this was probably posted before, but the more posts the more likely it may be that an Adobe official takes notice of the problems.

Problem 1: A "Search this forum"-button is mandatory to be able to use the forums. Currently, each search provides search results from all forums. Using the Options-button to narrow the search results down each time is much too slow (see also problem 2) and the selection field is badly sorted. Hasn´t anybody tested this function before migrating?

Problem 2: The new forum is even slower than the old one was. Developers probably have multicore systems and bandwith enough, but for users who are restricted to use dedicated Internet gate computers (and who have less bandwidth) like us it takes at least 30 Seconds for each Adobe page to display and to be clickable. When I type, the letters appear several seconds delayed. Reduce the layout and Flash, increase the usability.

Thanks for your comments, and yes, new voices added do make a difference. There is a lengthly list of issues to be worked over... search is a biggie, but speed and overall performance is critical to almost everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrible search function

You want to see something really crazy?

Leave the search box blank and click on the magnifying glass button.

Click on More Options

Have fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on More Options Have fun!

john, if that's your idea of fun, we need to talk...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

john, if that's your idea of fun, we need to talk...

Oh I love a challenge!

And the answer to your next question is "Standing up in a hammock" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, next to unusable... way too slow. I'm on a large business internet connection (T1 or something like that) and it takes me approx. 3 to 5 minutes to get to each Adobe forums (Photoshop, Illustrator, Photography, Lightroom).

Too much wasted time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They didn´t even sort the list of forums alphabetically that is used to narrow down the search results in the More Options dialog. I really don´t want to sound like a troll but you would expect that a platform such as the Adobe site would be more carefull migrating their community.

I did find one possibility though to accelerate the search somwhat - it is possible to bookmark a result page and to use this as a tempate for a search in a particular forum (by replacing the search term).

I feel like I have fallen back 10 years using such workarounds and staring at the screen waiting for pages to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2009 Apr 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

robert-sfl wrote:

I did find one possibility though to accelerate the search somwhat - it is possible to bookmark a result page and to use this as a tempate for a search in a particular forum (by replacing the search term).

That's exactly what I had to do in order to create a link in the following FAQ I customized (one each for the PS Mac & PS Win forums).

Go here:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0 (Mac)

and/or here:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0 (Windows)

Then look at the link in the "• Fourthly, try searching this forum." list item. Took me a while to figure out how to make sure it worked as a direct link and was tailored for the Maccers & Windows users in their respective FAQ entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and it takes me approx. 3 to 5 minutes to get to each Adobe forums (Photoshop, Illustrator, Photography, Lightroom).

Too much wasted time.

There are plenty of ways to get around faster than that!

And I don't mean with tweaks and scripts. Just use what this (rather sad) forum and your browser can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines