• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Now have to sign in every time to forum

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2009 Feb 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use several fora, but these days I'm mostly in the Lightroom forum. I've been saving the URL when signed on so that by clicking on favorites I automatically end up in the forum already signed on.

I got prompted a few days ago to associate my Adobe userid with my forum id.

Since doing that I always end up in guest mode and have to sign on every time. I tried resaving the URL (once signed on), but that doesn't seem to work either.

I log into the forum daily from the same computer and it's irritating to have to continually supply my id when it was not previously required.

Is this the way it is? Can be be fixed? Or, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks very much,

Selby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you could take a look around at all the other threads where people have been saying the same thing for a few days now ... ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd for me I open my PowerBook 17". (First time in two weeks) and was able to get in with no problem didn't have to sign in. Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my reply at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b7ec5b/43 which MAY help explain the cookie mess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've since turned this computer off. Turned back on and signed back on on this computer. And still didn't have to sign in.

I'll have to sign into my desktop and see if it's straightened out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pj, please try to concentrate your related posts in a single thread. It's very confusing to see them posted everywhere, and specially in new threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please. It's much harder to follow conversations when they are scattered in various threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the OP - I have to admit that I don't understand some of the comments. pj was responding to my posting and then added another update - I followed it completely.

In reference to the posting that wondered why I hadn't checked out other threads - I'm afraid I wouldn't guess from a topic entitled "what's going now?!!".

Regardless of the frustration level, please keep the topic clear.

Is there someone from Adobe who can address my question? If already answered, please point me to it.

Thanks,

Selby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you shutting down the computer or your browser overnight? If so, the current cookie settings (session dependent) will (should) cause you to need to log in each day.

Which browser are you using? You may be able to tell the browser to remember your name/password for the forums so that it fills it in for you.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, thanks for the response.

Yes, I do shut down my computer overnight - but I always have and never needed to log in to the forums - I was always connected as myself (definitely not a guest).

Suddenly, two or three days ago, I was prompted to associate my Adobe userid with my forum userid, which I did. Since then I have needed to log in every time.

I am running Windows XP SP2 and using IE. IE does remember my userid (when I type in the 1st letter) and my password, but it's still a pain. And for the past number of years, it has not been necessary!

Selby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selby... what I said... http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b7ec5b/43

>Since then I have needed to log in every time

That is by design, and happened to (almost?) everyone who logged in after 5pm US Pacific time on Friday the 13th (when I turned my work computer off) and 8am US Pacific time on Monday the 16th (when I turned my work computer back on)

Between those (approximate) times all forums were set to CHANGE the Adobe cookies from permanent to session... so each time you exit your web browser, you must login again when you come back to a forum

As far as I know (unless and until the web engineers change something again) you will continue to have to login every time... until the new forum software is activated in April

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio, there are several threads all intertwined, all about the same subject just different titles. So I've answered in all giving about the same info. Some almost word for word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T. Smith - Thanks - I read your post - I get it - explains everything except one thing....why

John Cornicello (Adobe) - please explain why? Any chance of getting this changed?

Thanks,

Selby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>why

Discussed several times, in several places

The forums are going to TOTALLY change... current schedule is April (no exact date given that I have seen)

To prepare, the Adobe/Macromedia login names must merge... cookies were changed to force that merge

No word, as yet, when cookies will go back to permanent... MY best guess is with the new forums in April (or, whenever the change actually happens)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John (Smith), I think that is close, but not quite. The account merging that is being discussed is not adobe forum and macromedia forum, but forum ids and adobe.com logins. In the new system, we will login with our adobe ids, not our adobe forum (or macromedia forum) ids.

Following are excerpts/paraphrases from John Cornicello's posts 15, 39, and 42 from the following link. And, John (Cornicello), thank you for all the help and information you are providing. I hope I stated the current information correctly.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b7e284/38

My changes are in []s

> If you don't link your login [so that the login for the forums and adobe.com are the same,] all of your messages that get moved from this [forum] system to the new one will say they were posted by "Guest" and you will be starting anew. If you link your accounts your old messages will have your name attached to them in the new system. It is your choice.

> On Friday [2/13, the permanent cookie] was disabled ... [because] if we didn't turn off the cookie folks not logging in would [not be prompted to associate their forum and adobe.com accounts and would therefore] ... lose all their old content.

> I don't know yet [whether the cookie change to session cookies will be permanent and if not, when they will change]. I think it really depends on how many users go through the account migration/association path. In the two or three weeks before the cookie changed only 96 people configured their accounts. Since Saturday there have been about 1900. So, from that point of view it appears to be working.

> I can tell you that the security folks are happier with the session cookies because of the situation of people using shared computers (libraries, etc.) and not remembering to log out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>close, but not quite

Grin... oh well... if I was batting at least .500 in baseball (and not using steroids to get there) I'be be worth about 12 Million dollars a year

Since I'm not... I'll just go back to reading for awhile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John/Stanley - thanks to both of you for the complete explanation.

I guess the only question/request is to John Cornicello - please consider at least having an option (e.g.,check box) to allow the user to stay signed on to a specific computer.

Thanks again,

Selby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Are you shutting down the computer or your browser overnight? If so, the current cookie settings (session dependent) will (should) cause you to need to log in each day.

Not for everyone. I'm back to what passes for normal 😉 A number of us now stay logged in after a computer shut-down (but not after a browser quit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> A number of us now stay logged in after a computer shut-down (but not after a browser quit).

I don't understand that. How can you shun-down without quitting the browser? Are you hibernating the computer? I do that routinely, and I am not logged out. But I have not quit the browser nor shut down. These session cookies must be very persistent! I wonder if the problems it might bring would be worth testing whether a user has migrated and assigning a permanent cookie if you have.

> if I was batting at least .500 in baseball (and not using steroids to get there) I'be be worth about 12 Million dollars a year

And if you were batting the .995 you're batting here, they'd probably cover up the steroids.... Ha, ha! John C will probably wake up this morning, correct me, and I'll be back on the bench!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>A number of us now stay logged in after a computer shut-down (but not after a browser quit).

add me to the list on one of 3 machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The setting is global for the forum server, it is not account-specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John - what I was hoping for was a check box in the login dialog that would result in a persistent cookie. This would not be on an account basis, but would simply affect the cookie on a particular machine. The default could be "off" to make the security people happy.

Just a thought,

Selby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds as if the problem emanates from attempting to tie a Customer's Adobe ID to a Forum User's ID?

While it would be extremely bad if an Adobe Account was inadvertently left open on a public machine (such as a one in a Public Library) so that any subsequent user could see listed software SNs etc.; having to log in every time I reboot my Mac (which is at least once a day and often more frequently than that) is pretty irritating.

Shutting down a Mac quits you automatically out of ALL running applications including Browsers and e-mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only relationship between the cookie issue and the association of accounts is the timing of them. The associating of IDs didn't cause the cookie issue. But the cookie issue was a necessary evil to get people to see the page to associate the accounts.

Security folks are not involved in this. I just said (or tried to) that this probably made people interested in web security happier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> While it would be extremely bad if an Adobe Account was inadvertently left open on a public machine (such as a one in a Public Library) so that any subsequent user could see listed software SNs etc.;

I thought of that. I am a little concerned about the security of being linked to the Adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines