Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old Posts as New Posts

Aug 07, 2010 Aug 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Bridge Forum today I have noticed some very old posts disguised as new posts.  There is no response to these posts that I can see.

One near bottom is 2 years old.

Bridge Capture2.jpg

Has any else noticed this problem?  Visited and reloaded site several times and same problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Aug 07, 2010 Aug 07, 2010

There has been a spammer on the forum today. posing legit question , then text involves a Series of URLs related to the iPad and other subject about 5 lines long. I know because I have seen some of them because I get email notifactions that show text version of the post. What happens is the Moderators see them then kill them but because any activity is registered as new activity. The old threads show up  I've suggested marking archived item  older than 6 moth as read only.  But I don't know if t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been a spammer on the forum today. posing legit question , then text involves a Series of URLs related to the iPad and other subject about 5 lines long. I know because I have seen some of them because I get email notifactions that show text version of the post. What happens is the Moderators see them then kill them but because any activity is registered as new activity. The old threads show up  I've suggested marking archived item  older than 6 moth as read only.  But I don't know if that can be done or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "archiving" could cause a few issues with some threads, but probably a minority.

An example of this is something that often happens to me in a few product fora. I recall a thread, and maybe even respond. Months pass, and suddenly I find a new source of info, and a possible solution. I go to that older thread, and add the new material, for others, who might come to the thread. Obviously, that would not be possible with the archiving/read-only, BUT then I could always initiate a new post, link to the older one, plus add the new info. Not perfect, but if a new subscriber did a Search, they should find the update, even in a new and separate thread.

Still, that is definitely a situation, that is in the minority, at least for me.

For spammers, I'd rather see some harsh punishment, but I suppose that certain organizations would frown on that.

Adobe Admin pulling the subscription (one can still create new ones ) would be helpful, and forum users reporting Abuse, both with the Report Abuse link and then the spam thread here, is good, though some of these folk are quick. This joker was reported very early on, but before the messages could be cleaned, they hit a lot of fora.

Too bad that we cannot all just be ladies and gentlemen, dealing with ladies and gentlemen. That solves a lot of this "stuff."

Hunt

PS - I knew there was a reason that I was not interested in an iPad, and if this person is indicative of the people, who use them, I now know I made the right decision... could this be an Apple, anti-Adobe attack? Nah, Steve Jobs would not stoop to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am only speaking to this and not the origination this thread

the_wine_snob wrote:

The "archiving" could cause a few issues with some threads, but probably a minority.

An example of this is something that often happens to me in a few product fora. I recall a thread, and maybe even respond. Months pass, and suddenly I find a new source of info, and a possible solution. I go to that older thread, and add the new material, for others, who might come to the thread. Obviously, that would not be possible with the archiving/read-only, BUT then I could always initiate a new post, link to the older one, plus add the new info. Not perfect, but if a new subscriber did a Search, they should find the update, even in a new and separate thread.

Still, that is definitely a situation, that is in the minority, at least for me.

For spammers, I'd rather see some harsh punishment, but I suppose that certain organizations would frown on that.

Adobe Admin pulling the subscription (one can still create new ones ) would be helpful, and forum users reporting Abuse, both with the Report Abuse link and then the spam thread here, is good, though some of these folk are quick. This joker was reported very early on, but before the messages could be cleaned, they hit a lot of fora.

Too bad that we cannot all just be ladies and gentlemen, dealing with ladies and gentlemen. That solves a lot of this "stuff."

Hunt

PS - I knew there was a reason that I was not interested in an iPad, and if this person is indicative of the people, who use them, I now know I made the right decision... could this be an Apple, anti-Adobe attack? Nah, Steve Jobs would not stoop to that.

Well maybe a year would be better. But if nothing in two Years definitely.  If such people used the same email address they could use that to permanently ban such people so if one tried to create a new account and used the same email address they couldn't.

As for the iPad thing its not likely Jobs would have anything to do with such attacks. Usually it people that hate anything apple that are doing such. I've looked at some of the usenet groups mentioned (not as a result of the spam) and they are people that are attacking the iPad and Apple in general They are not iPad support groups.  The people maning these groups are reminiscent of the old time Bulletin Boards and the Platform wars. Believe it on USENET we still have platform wars to this day. I read several supposed to be apple only support groups and majority of the post are from PC folk That want to irrate the Mac users trying to help themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Phillip,

I agree with the likely innocence of anyone with Apple. That was meant to be a joke, but probably missed the mark*. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

On another video forum, we fight the same thing, and will even go so far as to research POP servers, and attempt to ban spammers. It is not easy, and we have to tread lightly, especially if they use a popular POP server, but we manage to ban most, and seldom nail an innocent.

Reflecting on your suggestion, I could easily see one year. Yes, there might be some, that would still fall through the cracks, but should not be THAT many.

For this spammer, they later targeted new threads, and hit a whole bunch of those too. A perfect example of "carpet bombing."

Good luck to us all,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Phillip said. The MOD's were atop some of the early work, and that is why the spam is gone from any threads, but they still got bumped to the top of the list. However, this person was spamming faster than the MOD's could handle, so a lot of stuff did get through.

Let's hope that they "punch his ticket," and then delete every one of the posts.

In another, similar thread, I commented on the lack of the "Updated" tag. Well, I now see that it did appear in a few of the threads, that have already been cleaned out by the MOD's, so I guess that timing is everything.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt, the same problem had already been reported and explained here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/695640?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, the mass spammer that pat willener identi

fied this morning was still at work some minutes ago. Almost unbelievable.

Extra line break kindly provided by the non updated software of this site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I just Reported Abuse on 54 of this person's posts.

They are quite active, and as of 15 mins. ago, was still posting the same spam.

I saw the first report here this AM (August 07, 2010) at about 9:00AM PDT. As of 5:20PM PDT, this person is still quite busy. Guess that it's a weekend in San Jose, and few are on duty on a Saturday.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines