• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OMG, it's all gone slanted on me! (italics)

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost everything on the site has switched to italics, though the subject and editor seem to be displaying non-italics.

Was this done on purpose?

I upgraded to IE10 for Windows 7 the other day, and it's been fine up to now.  I don't think it's IE10's fault.

Supporting screenshots:

ScreenGrab_03_05_2013_172832.png

ScreenGrab_03_05_2013_172849.png

ScreenGrab_03_05_2013_172859.png

ScreenGrab_03_05_2013_172923.png

-Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same italics here... and no changes to OS or browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

On Chrome and XP-Pro, I do not have that display, that you show, and John T., is seeing too.

Will look at IE, and report.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IE 7 & 8, both on XP-Pro - no italics.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting!  Bill, what happens if you clear your browser cache?

I've noticed in the past that a page may display in italics ever so briefliy before everything would straighten up.  Never had it just stay that way before, though.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using IE on two different computers (one Win7, the other Win8) gives Italics, but Firefox gives it to me straight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that, however I seldome use IE, except for testing.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole system is whacky the last few days. and tonight some are switching back to they way there were last week. the some have this jarrying type face that is dark and heavy. http://www.screencast.com/t/EFTm6jd3D0mg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>what happens if you clear your browser cache?

Win7 and IE9 here... and I have IE9 set to automatically clear all history every time I log out (started due to a work policy that I copied at home, and just have never unchecked the option box)

While this means that I have to log in every time I come to the forum, it also means that "everything" starts fresh when I use IE

And... I am still seeing italics, even with a "fresh every time" browser

Oh yes... the log in page is NOT in italics, so I think it is some change in the forum code

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In IE (both 7 & 8), I did clear the cache, and never got the italics.

Now, based on Phillips' comments, I did head to several more forums, than I normaly do, just in case. Still, no italics for me - yet.

I know that you and John T. are both on newer Windows OS's, where I am still on XP-Pro SP3 on this old laptop. Maybe something there?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Mac an it not browser specific. I can copy the link to message that has the Bold type and use in:

SeaMonkey

FireFox

Safari

Camino

Opera

OperaNext

Omniweb

Google Chrome

iCab

Aurora

they all so the sme way.

suppect the style sheet for the showing of have gone belly up on several servers and I just happen to hit all of the defective ones.

I do get a post no and then th looks as it should,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting everything in italics (even the text I am typing now) while using IE9/Win7. No such effect in Safari/Win7 or Firefox/Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've bypassed around the problem so I don't see the corrupt style sheets, by unchecking allow documents to use other Fonts I have set to use veranda fonts. Looks like it did before the trouble appeared. they're not going to fix it anyway. So I'lljust workaround the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font-family: “abobe-clean, …” is what is doing it.  If you edit the styles in IE F12 mode and remove this font-family entry in a couple of the BODY tag styles, the italics is gone.

The “adobe-clean” is coming from a style-sheet downloaded from use.typekit.com and so a way to defeat the italics is to assign use.typekit.com to the local loopback address by adding the following to your hosts file:  127.0.0.1  use.typekit.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Mac.  I use either FireFox or SeaMonkey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, ssprengel.  I will try that workaround!

Phillip, the hosts file, to redefine name-to-IP mapping, is available on all systems.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to see if I can locate it and try it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On windows its: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

You can edit it with notepad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, many thanks, ssprengel.  I have been enjoying a more readable forum site all afternoon.

Speaking of hosts...  If you didn't know about it before, the following site is a GREAT resource.  Adding their entries to hosts effects an instant block on some 15,000 bad web sites that you really don't want any part of your computer accessing.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2013 Mar 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly getting againg the "all in italics" in Explorer/Win7, but not in Safari/Win, Firefox/Mac or Safari/Mac. I apologize for being so ignorant, but the above instructions are not clear enough for me. Is there anyone out there willing to spell them out for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Windows, Claudio?

If so, edit this file with Notepad or Wordpad:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Add this line to it at the bottom.

127.0.0.1  use.typekit.com

Save it, close all instances of your browser, and relaunch the browser.  Note that this may affect the other browsers as well.

If the italics persist, you may have to clear your IE browser cache.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Noel. I'll give it a trial tomorrow. And I did clear the browser cache before posting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, I followed your instructions, and the italics are gone, but they reappear if I use the Back button. They disappear again if I use my bookmarks, but reappear each time I use the Back button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have just cleared again the browser cache, closed IE and relaunched it. No change; I still get the "all in italics" every time I use the Back button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ssprengel, I want to thank you especially for thinking of this.

I've known for a long time that Adobe downloads their adobe-clean font via typekit, and I've not really liked that Adobe font very much.  Without it, their pages are programmed to default to Helvetica Neue or Arial (I think I only have the latter).

And I've long used the hosts file to block stuff I don't want accessed (mine's over 15,000 lines long).

I just never thought to put the two concepts together to force these web pages to fall back to Arial.  Now, in addition to solving this italics BS, the pages are more readable than ever!  Thank you!!!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines