Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Forum jumps to page bottom every time

Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I visit the Photoshop Forum and click on a post, any post, the page that loads is scrolled to the bottom.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/general

I am on an early 2008 Mac Pro, with 10 GB RAM, running Mountain Lion, browser is Safari 6.0, but this also happened in Safari 5. This also happened under LIon. No matter which post I open, I land at the bottom of the page instead of the top. This only happens in Adobe Forums, no other sites.

Here is a screen shot, for what it may be worth (not much, I'll wager), of a freshly loaded forum post. Note that I did not scroll to the bottom. The page loaded that way:

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 3.24.25 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

You're in view=overview mode in the forums.

That is, you're visiting http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/general?view=overview

Every link shown in that view is the most recent post in that thread (shown by the page anchor fragment in the URL - the bit after the hash # symbol). Clicking on each link jumps to the most recent post (usually but not always at the bottom of each page - hence the jump you're seeing every time you click a link).

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4624317#4624317

Overvi

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the link on your screenshot: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4618532#4618532

As opposed to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1048862

It depends where you click:

ps1.png

goes to the first post,

ps2.png

goes to the last post.

(At least this is so with Firefox 14 on Windows 7)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, I simply clicked on the title of the post in the forum, and that is how the page loads. There is nowhere else to click. Am I holding it wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary Politzer schrieb:

As I said, I simply clicked on the title of the post in the forum, and that is how the page loads. There is nowhere else to click. Am I holding it wrong?

As Pat points out, the forum titles link to the top of the page - you can see that by the ?start=0 at the end of the URL, e.g. this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1048969?tstart=0

Check again and look to see what URL your browser shows you when you mouse over the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing on my forum page that even looks like Pat's screen shots above. The Photoshop Forum looks like this. There is no place to click but the post titles. When I click on one, the page that opens is scrolled to the bottom of the page, even though the link pointed to the top. That is all:

Screen Shot 2012-08-15 at 12.59.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're in view=overview mode in the forums.

That is, you're visiting http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/general?view=overview

Every link shown in that view is the most recent post in that thread (shown by the page anchor fragment in the URL - the bit after the hash # symbol). Clicking on each link jumps to the most recent post (usually but not always at the bottom of each page - hence the jump you're seeing every time you click a link).

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4624317#4624317

Overview mode has never appealed to me.

Try the view=discussions mode of the forum (every link ends with the ?tstart=0 fragment)

That is, visit http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/general?view=discussions

I only ever use the view=discussions URL to visit every Adobe forum and that's what I have bookmarked in my browsers.

When I specifically want to go directly to the most recent post in a thread then I click the "xx minutes/hours ago" link in "Last Post" column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixes it. I never knew there was any other view! Seriously, how would someone coming from the Adobe Forums page ever know about this Discussions view? There is no link to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary Politzer wrote:

how would someone coming from the Adobe Forums page ever know about this Discussions view? There is no link to it.

I thought every user had the tabs with the different views before the skin update a few weeks ago?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, I think admins in some forums have changed things around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I interpreted that to mean view=discussions was probably going to evaporate sooner or later, and it was kept around for compatibility with peoples' bookmarks.  That would make some sense for handling web functionality that's being deprecated.

Interestingly, it's the view I had chosen and set as default some time ago.  Is that ability (to set the default) missing now too?

I wonder if it really is on purpose or just an accident of the redesign. With this site it's easy to wonder.

It would be a shame to lose view=discussions - it's a far more useful view than the now default overview.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John C may know more than me, but he's on vacation this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

It would be a shame to lose view=discussions - it's a far more useful view than the now default overview.

Amen to that.

The other views are nothing but meaningless clutter for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

... With this site it's easy to wonder.

Agree 100%.  Indeed, I find the "Overview" useless and even obnoxious.  Discussions has been my default from day one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

station_two wrote:

Noel Carboni wrote:

... With this site it's easy to wonder.

Agree 100%.  Indeed, I find the "Overview" useless and even obnoxious.  Discussions has been my default from day one.

Agree!! Agree!!! I have the Discussions view of my favorite forums bookmarked and absolutely HATE it when I navigate to a new forum and get the "Overview" view.  It is more than useless - it is a waste of time. I hate it I hate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines