• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please!!! More organization of Forum Topics.

Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, please, please - break the forums down more (more 'folders'). The infinite list of all discussions makes finding anything relevant almost impossible.
At minimum break things down by version, when having an issue with CS4 I don't need to search through things about CS2.

As it stands the only way to find an issue is with the brute force of a forum search, there's no just looking through to see if there is an active discussion - the signal to noise ratio is too high.

Take a current a discussion, "CS3 and printing to an Epson 7800 (Mac OS10.5)", it's path looks like:
i Support:User to User Forums:Adobe Product Forums:Adobe Photoshop:Photoshop Macintosh

I'd like it to be:
i Support:User to User Forums:Adobe Product Forums:Adobe Photoshop:Photoshop Macintosh:Version CS3:Technical Issues:Printing:Printer Setups

Or something like that - you get the idea.

And while we are at it, the search only needs to return one hit for any given discussion - pages of hits from the same discussion are more than useless.

Thanks and good luck!
BTW I like the look of the new forums, much less primeval!

Niles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Well, Curt, I have to ask: How old are YOUR eyes.

My eyes; good when i remember to wear my reading glasses.:/ Id rather not reveal how old they are. Im in denial. But I watched all the Apollo missions at assemblies during school.

But i have really dont have trouble making out the word (updated). I prefer it to the garish red flags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched the Mercury missions at school but I'm just an apprentice geezer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>But I watched all the Apollo missions at assemblies during school.

Sheeze I was out of postgraduate university studies by the time Sputnik began the space race.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt, for many of use the bold is just not dramatic enough. The red stands out and is a simple visual flag. The bold means you need good eyes. As one gets older, the simple bold is not enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really get this. I go back to the thread list, and if there is a new post (to me) I see 'updated'. Doesn't that mean the software 'knows' what is the last post I read? If so, sending me there shouldn't be too hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, silly me. It probably just knows the exact time I was there, and shows 'updated' for all threads with new posts since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2009 Mar 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> It probably just knows the exact time I was there, and shows 'updated' for all threads with new posts since then.

Something like that (I've not thought it fully through). On the face of it, only two pieces of info needed - time thread was last changed, time you were last active. Not very demanding on the underlying database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over time the standard for forum software has been to use the timestamp to track what you've read. Some of them mark everything read that was posted before that time. This one seems to retain the unread mark for each topic for each person as long as they don't open that topic, so you can leave and come back later and unread items from earlier will still be marked as unread. that makes this one jump better at it then much or most of the software out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>that makes this one jump better at it then much or most of the software out there.

But a helluva lot worse than WebCrossing which is what we are used to and the standard by which we shall judge Jive.

DPR Review also manages to flag unread content and they are using:

> Server side/Client side Scripting, Database design, Application design
& Graphics are all (c)1998-2008 dpreview.com Ltd.
Site Developed by Phil Askey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 02, 2009 May 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that fell on deaf ears.

Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niles Ridgeman wrote:

Well that fell on deaf ears.

Sigh.

To be fair, it did not fall on deaf ears.

What is true is that, so far into the new experience, we are getting very little feedback on what is in hand; what may be fixed; and what can't be fixed.

Nobody's happy! (Except maybe Jive's accountants.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines