• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please restore fonts and indenting

LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2010 Oct 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if Adobe could make the investment to restore the ability to change fonts and indenting in forum messages, while keeping spam under control (as many other companies and forums manage to do at quite low cost).  I use the forums for detailed and careful communication on technical and product issues, and I, like most of the world, find fonts, indenting, and other forms of document formating quite useful for efficient communication.

Some use cases:

- If I quote from a technical spec, as I often do when solving issues about image metadata, it's helpful to indent the quotation, so that readers can easily identify the quotation.

- The technical specs being quoted often themselves use fonts and indenting to communicate meaning, and deleting that formatting makes it harder to read.

- Small code fragments intermixed with English words are easier to read when appearing in a different font. Multi-line code fragments copied from source code often are easier to read in a fixed-pitch font, since the traditional 4-space indenting can be hard to read in variable-pitch fonts in which a space is about half the width of a wider letter.  Also, most programmers author code in fixed-pitch fonts, so presenting such code in a fixed-pitch font will preserve the relative indenting.

PS: I noticed the restriction immediately after it was introduced, but I initially wrote it off as an intermittent problem that would go away eventually (as I've been trained to do by Adobe's past responses to such issues).  Only after having the formatting on a number of post "disappear" (sometimes after 30 minutes of editing) did I come here to find out why.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are addressing fellow users here, not Adobe. And we all agree with

what you say...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another thread about this that got rather heated.  It 's not going to happen. If they would get away from the Jive Clearspace software  and go with something else that's no based entirely on Javascript. They wouldn't have these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis wrote:

It would be great if Adobe could make the investment to restore the ability to change fonts and indenting in forum messages...

I fully agree with this request, but like to add other features that have disappeared recently.  Especially highlighting, e.g. yellow background

<span style="background-color: yellow">highlighted text</span>

I used this a lot - to mark some text in a quote I was specifically going to reply to.  Now the markings will just not display any more.

I don't see in what way highlighting would aid spammers, so I cannot understand why it has been removed...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2010 Oct 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To paraphrase Tennyson:

"Ours not to reason why,
Ours but to do and die."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines