Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Products for students

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2010 Oct 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Why Adobe doesn't offer their products for students (if not for all, but for university students) for free? Microsoft will, and I think that's good advertisement for they.

For example, if I want to buy CS5 Design Premium and I'm a student. I haven't got money for that, if it costs 2300€ incl. VAT and I get -80% that still cost me 460€. Students don't have that much money to spend in some programs.

Thanks

Mikko Peltonen, student

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikko,

You will have to ask Adobe. This is a forum about the Adobe forums, and (almost all) the participants are users just like you; there is no representation of Adobe here.

How can you get the 80% discount as a student?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm not sure where this offer is placed but http://tryit.adobe.com/fi/cs5/student_teacher/?sdid=HTJHL&

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Mikko. I could just change the country code part of the URL.

I must say I think that is a generous offer, which I will recommend to anyone fulfilling the requirements.

And after all, the applications you mention as being free for students/teachers are at a somewhat lower level, and much cheaper; in addition they are competing with fully comparable free alternatives.

I am fully aware of the inherent poverty of students (some of us should still qualify as students/teachers because of our spending most of our time on learning/teaching/guiding and other non profit activities rather than moneymaking).

This should lead to better student conditions, such as government subsidies for relevant education tools. I am afraid those conditions are far worse in the US than in SF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>How can you get the 80% discount as a student?

I am staff at a University, and the online store where I buy Adobe & Microsoft, which has a DIRECT sales agreement with those two companies, has prices that are about 20% of MSRP ($83 for MS Office Pro 2010 + $644 for Adobe CS5 Master Collection)

The "general" Education sites such as http://www.studica.com/ or https://www.academicsuperstore.com/ do not have pricing quite that low... since they sell to anyone who may prove Education status, not just to people associated with a specific University

Not all education organizations have a DIRECT sales site with an agreement with Adobe & Microsoft, so those people must use a general Education sales site

http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacherlicensing/school_listing.html
http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacheredition/eligibility.html
http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacherlicensing/

And, yes, SOME Microsoft programs are available for free where I work, via download only... but not ALL Microsoft programs are free (Win7 and many programming products are free, MS Office is not free)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2010 Oct 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm student, but I'm under age of 18. I know I need some information to proof Adobe that I'm student, or am I wrong? Here in Finland under 18 years old people can't spend over 50 euros in day. So, I can't buy that but my parents can buy it for me, or?

Is that Studicas CS5 Design Premium legal and are they certificated Adobe retailer? I don't want to spend 340€ for pirate version. 340€ is a lot of money, but it's still lower than Adobes price.

So, I want to buy (or get free, that would be nice ) CS5 Design Premium as low price as possible. I'm not in USA, I'm from Finland (nobody don't know where it is) so can I buy that CS5 Design Premium from Studica? Or, do I need to be some university staff?

Now I can't find the Adobes price for students, where it is!?

Edit. Academicsuperstores products are not for me, I'm not living in USA.

Edit. This product http://www.studica.com/us/en/Adobe/adobe_creative_suite_5_design_premium.html is cheap, but is it available for me? I live in Europe, Finland actually. I'm not any university student, I'm in secondary school (or what do you call this). Do I need to proof something to they before buy? But, I like to buy that product from Studica and get it here in Finland. The price is great!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikko,

You can get it through the Adobe Europe store here: https://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-EDU-EU&view=ols_cat&catType=STUDENTS&nr=1#loc=en_xeu&category=/Applications/DesignPremiumSTE&store=OLS-EDU-EU&view=ols_prod

And you do qualify. Click More Info and Instructions to the right and read item 3 under Students to see what you have to submit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure do I spend 350€ for that. First I have to know something more, and get parents to my side.

Well, my questions.

1. If I buy Windows version, and if I want it to Mac, can I use the same code to Mac if I download trial for Mac and insert that code?

2. My dad said that if it is installed on one machine and I install it to another computer, so the first computers programs will stop working. Is that right?

3. Is there limited CALs for the program? Can I install how many times I want or is it limited? It is not intended to be installed throughout the world, but if you ever install on your computer again, or change computer.

Ask if you don't understand something. My English isn't so good because I'm not so old.

- Mikko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the links I posted and find and read the license agreement

The retail version allows you to install and activate on 2 computers... 1 desktop and 1 laptop... as long as only one is being used at any time

I **think** the special price Education version only allows one install and activation

As far as I know, the code for Windows and Mac are different, since the media (DVD) they are sold on are not dual computer, but only for Windows OR Mac

Once you have a disc, you may install on as many computers as you want... but you may only ACTIVATE on one (or two, depending on the license)

Without online activation, the program will not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fist you said that it allows only one install and activation. Then you said that when I have the DVD and code I can install it as many times as I want. Or, is that Education version different than this what I'm buying, Student and teacher edition?

So if I buy Windows version I can't use it in Mac. They would change this, it would be nice. 😃

Did you mean I can install it as many times as I want but I can activate it for two computers at the time (in Student and Teacher edition)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said I do not know if the special price Education version allows you to active one time or two times... you need to go to the Adobe links I posted before and find the license agreement

You may install from the DVD a thousand times if you want... you may only activate and USE the software on one computer at a time, or two computers if the special price Education version allows two activations

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikko,

The use of singular in the following information on the page I linked to,

Restrictions on use
You may purchase only one license of any Adobe Student and Teacher Edition product within a 12 month period. This license may be used only on your privately owned computer. Student and Teacher Edition products may not be resold.

may imply that you can only use it on one computer, but you will have to read through the terms.

1) You will have to choose between Win and Mac.

2) Probably not, but see above.

3) There may be a limited number of reinstallations, but that can be reset by Adobe upon your request.

Vaikeita päätöksiä.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and of course the programming products are free because microsoft is smart enough to realize that when a student is done at university and goes on to get a real job, they're going to want to use tools that they're familiar with. ms makes it's money off of corporations who employ those students.

wonder if anyone else could learn a lesson from that?

nah. i'm sure it's more profitable to build expensive and often crippling DRM into all your applications and then sue the pants off the bloody pirates than it is to train the next generation to love to work in your expensive tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is in the knowledgebase - read here http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/195/tn_19592.html

Also, do not buy a US version and try to activate it outside the US... I have read other messages that doing so will not work... you must have the version and serial number for your country

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2010 Oct 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I buy Windows version I can't use it in Mac.

correct. unless you're running some kind of windows emulation software on the mac and run it through there. it'll still be a native windows application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I wrote wrong. I meant that if I buy the Windows version, and later I download trial for Mac so can I use the same code for both platforms? I think no, but I hope yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikko,

I meant that if I buy the Windows version, and later I download trial for Mac so can I use the same code for both platforms? I think no, but I hope yes.

If you mean whether you can apply the Win code on the Mac trial version and use it permanently like your paid Win version, then no, valitettavasti.

But I believe it is worth trying to contact Adobe, explain your wishes, and see what they say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah, I laughed for that Finnish word. That was correct, but it's nice to see someone speaking Finnish

Back in case.

Well, it's a pity that the Windows code would not work in Mac, but yes I can ask for Adobe about that. I'm a student, so that they could even get some solution for this. 😃

I already ask for help in some live chat on Adobe site (now I don't find it again!). I asked few questions from Adobe expert, and I was very pleased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2010 Oct 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikko,

I already ask for help in some live chat on Adobe site (now I don't find it again!).

I am afraid you will have to trace your steps to how you found it (valitettavasti).

You may have started at a place like one of these:

http://www.adobe.com/support/creativesuite/

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/design/?promoid=DTEMS

http://www.adobe.com/eeurope/products/creativesuite/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think I must search more. If I will buy that I will contact Adobe with phone. Then I have to ask some proof from my school that I'm student there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never looked, so I do not know if Adobe Sales has a chat line to answer product questions

I do know that clicking Products above will take you to the page for any product you select

If the Adobe pages don't answer your questions, go to Google and enter "something like"

Adobe Photoshop review

or

Adobe Premiere Pro review

or

The name of any product you may want to buy, plus the word review... then read at the links you find

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2010 Oct 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John T.,

There is a "Live Chat" pop-up, when one hits the Adobe Store just right. I have encountered it on many visits, when I only wanted the details of an Adobe Suite for some thread. I last used it, some years back, and it was fine. I do not see that pop-up on every visit to the Adobe Store, but do on many.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

So if I buy Windows version I can't use it in Mac.

correct. unless you're running some kind of windows emulation software on the mac and run it through there. it'll still be a native windows application.

Technically speaking your off.

all recent Mac use Intel chips that have built into the chip itself Virtual machines. This is not emulation. It means That the same Chip can run Windows, Mac, Linux, UNIX Natively in each virtual machine.

PC's can do it. But MS is so scared they might lose Windows USERs they don't make it avaible (or if avaible it not advertised nor sanctioned).

With the Use of BootCamp, VMware, or Parallels. When you go in to your windows , Linux, Unix (or whatever OS) partition its the same as if your actually own one of those computers. Nothing is being emulated.  BootCamp, VMWare, and Parallels  are necessary, but glorified switching software that turns on the Virtual machine(s). BootCamp only works to boot into the Windows partition.  While VMware and Parallels actually let you run both systems at the same time.

There is other software that allow you run specific applications without use of the coresponding system. I can't speak to their abilities.

Whether using Bootcamp, VMware, or Parallels you must actually purchase or obtain the Full operating system  $2-400 bucks to put on the partition.  the VM Software only passes calls to Drivers for things such as Printers, Scanners, Camera and such But other than that it just switches from the main VM that OSX is running, to the VM containg the Widows, or UNIX, Or Linux, Or BEOS or what ever, system you wish to run. with Parallels your limited to number of running systems to the actual number of cores in the processors. dual core two VM. Quad core 4 VM, 6 core 6 VM's, 8 core 8 VMs and so on.

Parallels can setup VM for just about any OS in existent. So if wish  For the Price of Operating system plus $79.00 for Parallels you can get the quivelent to a Dell/HP/Gateway or whatever, PC built into your Mac.

While in partition its eactly running the equivelent computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically speaking your off.

technically speaking, you are is two words. "you're" is a contraction of those two words. "your" is used to denote ownership.

thanks for playing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct I should have us

ed you're or you are.

But there I
s no denying the other part.

Great Make fun if you wish. As if you don't make any mistakes. Even if I accidently used a wrong word in the wrong place at it. Mr Perfection!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines