• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Provide brief directions for troubleshooting questions in the "Start a discussion" form.

Community Expert ,
May 23, 2014 May 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to propose a change in the posting form.

When it comes to stating a problem, I think there should be a sticky on the posting form giving basic directions for asking troubleshooting questions. Yes, we have a "How to ask a question" FAQ, but I'm guessing the flustered user just clicks the Post button without any clue of what would be helpful.

A few simple directions such as system details, error messages, and even screenshots (with a link on how to make one) might cut down on the "one sentence no information questions". It would be more efficient that a forum member having to ask for this basic information.

I like JJ Mack's brief summary, it should face the user when they click on Start a discussion:

The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:

Adobe product and version number

Operating system and version number

The full text of any error message(s)

What you were doing when the problem occurred

Screenshots of the problem

Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of the Adobe forums do have the request for such information somewhere, but it appears as if no-one ever reads these.

Still, it should be posted in every forum on some clearly visible spot.  It should also contain a sentence like

No help can be given unless you provide these required information.

I am really, really getting tired of asking the same basic information in almost every single new post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea, Pat.

That's why I think all of this should be in front of the user's face above the form. It's a "heads up" feature which I hope can leave the poster no excuses and save the forum MVPs and participants from unnecessary followup questions.

I've looked at a few of the forums outside my Photoshop haunts and it should not be a hard fix given "ask a question" form is the same.

Here's hoping enough salute this flag

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be built-in to the forum software when a member is posting:  OS, Browser, Adobe Product Version, etc.   If the required info is not selected or filled-in, a message pops up when clicking the post button, "You have not selected 'X' - Please select...".

BTW, I noticed posts without showing 0 or X number of replies for the message thread.   Why is that not there?  I want to see if there are any replies, and how many, before I click on some of these posts.  

- Pj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! That's a very good idea. The posting form is where the basic information should entered. Hopefully the forum scripters can get this done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make that Posts (starting a thread or a first post) and Replies.   And/or how about when joining, the forum software requires in the Profile, a person's hardware and software setup with some basic 'How To' on finding the info.   So, I just updated my Profile with my System Information.  

- Pj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines