• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Quote" handling for IE10 getting irritating!

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

This week I'm immersing myself in a Windows 8 Consumer Preview, IE10 equipped virtual machine, and trying to use everything there without using my host Windows 7 system at all.  I'm evaluating Photoshop CS6 as well in that system, and so far everything is going very well.  I'm actually able to use Windows 8, with a bunch of tweaks to make it into a serious OS.

But one niggling little irritation remains, and I know of no workaround: 

Using this forum with Internet Explorer 10 and trying to put quotes around things results in this:

"XXXXXX"

When I type the text XXXXXX above, I simply typed double quote characters in front and back.  This is what it looked like in the editor:

DoubleQuotes.jpg

Please ask the Jive developers to fix this. 

Virtually all other sites handle double quotes properly with IE10, and as you can see even this Jive software gets it right in the thread subject.

Thanks!

-Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2013 Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for all the posts.  Just...

"testing"

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that fixed it.  So I have IE10 working properly on two different Windows 7 systems.

"yay!"

I have a custom hosts file that blocks the resolution of names of tons of bad sites; I had not put it on this system until just now.  I copied that into place on my VM.

Only other thing I can imagine is that maybe by having IE10 closed in the interim, whatever processes were hanging around had a chance to exit, and the settings reset I did 5 minutes ago finally took.

Guess I'll try these same things, perhaps a bit more methodically, on my Windows 8 VM.  Maybe they've rolled out a fix for it there too.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, posting now from Windows 8 running IE10, with just the updated "hosts" file in place.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full reset of all IE parameters on Windows 8 running IE10.

"Show the quotes!"

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so by hook or crook it can be made to work on Windows 7, but not on Windows 8.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure seems to me it was working on Windows 8 at one point, but I see the last thing I posted here was that it didn't.  Apparently it still doesn't work right on Windows 8...

I typed double quote characters before and after this word, honest:  "the"

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 08, 2013 Jun 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sound like you need to ditch 8. Shortly they are supposed come out 8.1. According to all the Hype its supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced Bread and they are suuposed fix all the thing PC people are supposed to PO'ed  about. Everyone that Used System 7 seemed to like it best on any thing except XP. Supposedly XP is the most popular Windows OS in the entire world Perhaps on Venus and Mars as well)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never actually adopted 8, per se.  But I do test with all different kinds of systems.  I run Windows 8 in a virtual machine.  I've also researched it and used it enough as such to have written a book on it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's in 8.1 (though I'm braced for disappointment).  We'll know for sure what's it's going to look like in a few weeks.  I don't care for Microsoft's current direction.

By the way, Windows 7 is the most popular OS - XP is now waning.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would they want to screw up something that works so well?

Apple is rapidly catching Screwing up the OS. Theyare Trying to Make Computers look like iPhone's and iPads in other words ISOfiying. Thankfully itcan be turned off in X.8. I don't know what 9 will Bring. I dread the thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like both Apple and Microsoft have next to no faith in the future of Desktop Computers.

If Adobe's turn to the subscription model stems from the realization that the current perpetual license is not sustainable as a business model, this calls into question many of the principles of the computer industry.

It's not surprising that Apple and MS are concentrating on mobile devices.

Alternative leaders have to emerge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Testing IE11 on Windows 8.1 Preview...

"there are quotes around this"

Sigh.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines