Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"This thread is locked"

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2009 Oct 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem:

There was no need to take that action, and to inform the OP of the "Virtual Machine" thread that you had done so.

That was both extremely rude  and totally unnecessary because the Thread would have ended naturally — probably after the OP had thanked people for their help.

This was yet another example of why so many of us feel that you are not suited to the job of "Moderator".

What you have to learn is that you are seen by Adobe's Customers as part of "Customer Service" and acting as you did just helps to build resentment against Adobe at a time when they have every reason to be concerned about the appalling standard of their "Customer Service".

This Forum has no need for this over-bearing form of "Moderation" — a Forum HOST, with a friendly demeanor and some real knowledge of technical issues (and without a meaningless "Community Expert" badge!) might be a different matter.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 20, 2009 Oct 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lurked around a lot of years but never really posted until the last few. I learned a lot from these forums. When the forums changed over the forums lost my ID and it picked up dec9 for some unknown reason. dec9 is old log in from years ago. So I just go by this name as I have little choice..... lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

Lurked around a lot of years but never really posted until the last few. I learned a lot from these forums. When the forums changed over the forums lost my ID and it picked up dec9 for some unknown reason. dec9 is old log in from years ago. So I just go by this name as I have little choice..... lol

Well then, how do you do, dec9!  It's a pleasure to meet you. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to meet you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pssst! You can call him David, I'm sure he won't mind! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just don't call me late for lunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi linda! how you doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

hi linda! how you doing?

Hello Dave. I'm well thank you. Hope you are too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so then who is this? lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those regulars need to make up their minds. If they want a forum with

less moderation, they need to show they can be trusted with that.

That is yet another example of your appalling rudeness to Adobe's CUSTOMERS.

Some of the people who use this Forum have been Adobe Customers for more than 20 years and Users of, and Contributors to, these Forums since their original inception more than ten years ago.

We do NOT need the sort of Moderator "Service" that you are providing with posted answers cobbled together roboticly from "Templates".

I had no idea that you did that but it is an incredibly lazy way of working and does explain why you sometimes come across as an automaton — and a very discourteous one at that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 17, 2009 Oct 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do you want to explain why it is rude to the OP to direct her to a place that can help her better, save her more nonsense and in the process guide her to a way to ask her question that is more likely to get useful answers? Was it the lack of platitudes such as "Hi Portia"? Do you think the "Good luck" is meant cynical? Is it wrong to point out that the thread is in the wrong place? Or do you seriously want to argue that the thread was going somewhere?

For some reason you seem to see what I did as "extremely rude", and I would like to know why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good morning Jochem 

platitudes are a good start, they put folks at ease, they feel as if they are specifically the one being addressed etc.

edited by: greenjumpyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem doesn't understand, or see the point of social niceties, or why it matters to appear human. I assume that's part of why he was chosen as host - thick-skinned enough to 'just get in there and shut the buggers up'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason you seem to see what I did as "extremely rude", and I would like to know why.

By the very act of "locking the thread" you in effect told Portia to: "Shut-up and go away!".

If you had just left the thread alone two things might have happened: either Portia would have had the chance to come back and say "Thank you"; and the thread might have developed into an interesting discussion in which we all learned something.

That is what the Forums were originally designed for: User to User Help and Discussion.

That is what your over-bearing, and extremely rude, behaviour is destroying; and it is also why nearly all of us are asking for you either to mend your ways or to be dismissed from the position of "Moderator".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Shelbourne wrote:

That is what the Forums were originally designed for: User to User Help and Discussion.

Excellent point... Discussion. That is the crux... forums are an arena for discussion. They are not a 'take-away' – get your answer and go! JVD's actions are removing the discussion aspect and reducing this place to a Burger King or a MacDonald's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has been hit by the economy as we all have. All professionals have been laid off and replaced by new market new bees. It's a money-saving step that has to be taken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 18, 2009 Oct 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but you know what Ken?  What better time to rely on the users in the U2U forums to assist with that hard to find free tech support that the old forum had.  Didn't cost them any  more to have the forum the way it was, with all the experts in the various fields giving out free and very sound advice.

but no, let's save money ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has been hit by the economy as we all have. All professionals have been laid off and replaced by new market new bees. It's a money-saving step that has to be taken.

It was yet another BAD decision by Adobe.

The real reason that Adobe got itself into a mess was corporate greed: the desire to swallow -up  and control the entire graphic arts software segment. They paid an exorbitant amount for Macromedia and made no provision for a possible downturn in the economy.

Now they are compounding their errors by infuriating their Customers with abysmal Customer Service and kowtowing to the Macromedia faction by merging the Forums into this decidedly Macromedian standard of format and performance.

They are also infuriating their overseas customers with totally unfair pricing because of ill-advised trading agreements that they have made with foreign distributors.

I know of numerous professional Users in Europe, Australia and South Africa who have not upgraded to CS4 because they are so angry about the prices being charged in their countries.

The previous CEO of Adobe has a great deal for which to answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Shelbourne wrote:

Now they are compounding their errors by infuriating their Customers with abysmal Customer Service and kowtowing to the Macromedia faction by merging the Forums into this decidedly Macromedian standard of format and performance.

The Macromedia Dreamweaver NNTP side worked perfectly well... The 'experts' there  (in the true sense of the term) were perfectly courteous and helpful. Suffered a lot from the ignorance of 'newbies' but never lost their cool ... Unfortunately, with the demise of NNTP, virtually all of them have left these forums .

Can't speak about experiences in the forums for the other products such as Freehand and Fireworks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only possible way to use the Macromedia Forums was probably by NNTP — the browser experience in them was perfectly dreadful and very similar to what we are now experiencing in the Jive format.

I have always preferred Browser access particularly as I frequented the image-rich environment of the Photography and Photoshop Forums.

We also had highly experienced and knowledgeable Forum Hosts in those Forums who knew how to participate in discussions with grace and charm,

Now we have no NNTP (for those that preferred it); an abysmal Browser experience in ALL Forums; and this new breed of "Moderators" who appear to have little knowledge of the Products or Industry Experience, no clue as to how to be a welcoming "Host", no charm and no manners either.

The result is that virtually all of the REAL experts who used to frequent and contribute to these Forums have left.

So Adobe, by their own stubborn stupidity, now have no Customer Service worthy of the name — and no expert help in the Forums either,

Brilliant!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tragedy is that the clock can't be turned back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Shelbourne wrote:

It was yet another BAD decision by Adobe.

The real reason that Adobe got itself into a mess was corporate greed: the desire to swallow -up  and control the entire graphic arts software segment. They paid an exorbitant amount for Macromedia and made no provision for a possible downturn in the economy.

They are also infuriating their overseas customers with totally unfair pricing because of ill-advised trading agreements that they have made with foreign distributors.

I know of numerous professional Users in Europe, Australia and South Africa who have not upgraded to CS4 because they are so angry about the prices being charged in their countries.

The previous CEO of Adobe has a great deal for which to answer!

I'm glad you brought up corporate greed. It's like the Grinch that stole Christmas. As LRK says "we used to have Camaraderie" but now all we have is memories of better times. We are told by new community 'experts' to not look back, but why not? The past brings pleasant memories, more than can be said of the stagnant conditions we are forced to comply with on these forums today. It will probably take the complete collapse of the Adobe empire before someone will recognize that economic downturn can be directly attributed to corporate greed and unwillingness to listen to customers.

We want our old forums back! (If no one is there to hear this, did I really say it?)

Kenneth of Mac Factor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If no one is there to hear this, did I really say it?

They are listening all right Ken.

But no-one has the guts to say "We got it wrong and it's too late to go back".

Not that will turn the tide of adobe's mounting loss of customer loyalty.

It seems that "corporate greed" can't see beyond its current share price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saskatchewanobie wrote:

I'm glad you brought up corporate greed. It's like the Grinch that stole Christmas. As LRK says "we used to have Camaraderie" but now all we have is memories of better times. We are told by new community 'experts' to not look back, but why not? The past brings pleasant memories, more than can be said of the stagnant conditions we are forced to comply with on these forums today. It will probably take the complete collapse of the Adobe empire before someone will recognize that economic downturn can be directly attributed to corporate greed and unwillingness to listen to customers.

We want our old forums back! (If no one is there to hear this, did I really say it?)

Kenneth of Mac Factor

According to our current Moderator there is  no reason for Camaraderie on the internet. I believe it was he that said (though I may not be quoting exactly) that if he wants to talk to someone he would go to a restruant or bar. That the internet sole purpose is to get information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines