• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: Waiting for forums.adobe.com...

LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2011 Sep 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the new software helps some, but you guys reeeeeeally need new hardware.  I'm still getting those dreaded five words "Waiting for forums.adobe.com..." on a 15/5 FiOS connection.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Branched this off to a new thread, as all the content in the old referred to a different hardware platform.

I am not seeing slowdowns. Where are you located?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was seeing them this morning around 10:00AM also. That's the last I've seen of them though. Now it's pretty zippy.

I'm in Olympia Washington.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vancouver WA USA, campus network on a shared T3 (three T1 lines, I think) I have noticed intermittent slowness all day

But... after once talking to our IT department about spam (our little branch campus gets about 100k per month) this could just be an overloaded Internet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am temporarily out of town and using a very slow 3G mobile conection, so I cannot really compare with what was the "normal" behaviour before the upgrade. My general impression, though, is that things seem at least as fast as usual. I'll probably be able to check better tomorrow afternoon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although much faster there is a wait time. I sent a movie clip concerning another iss and told him to disregard the yellow screen That was screen when wait for site to come up.

I now have a 3 GB DSL which is 4 times faster than my Old DSL line.

I'll show it here: http://screencast.com/t/P8l5f9p78IAf

Now watch the the movie and pay attention to the yellow screen. THis is about average wait today. It is much faster than the old system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the Northeast USA.  The waiting message does not happen as frequently, maybe once or twice today, but my point is that it should not happen at all.  The browser makes the actual connection to the Adobe server in milliseconds, then just sits there waiting for the server to do it's job and serve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>browser makes the actual connection to the Adobe server in milliseconds, then just sits there waiting for the server to do it's job and serve

I agree with Jim... initial contact takes less than a second, and THEN the wait time for the server to serve is highly variable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read 3 longish threads in the Google SEO forum waiting for this page to load and hoping this post gets through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

Though I have only been on the new Jive for a very few days, I have not seen those issues, and I am on a Wireless-G on this laptop, though the main connection is high-speed cable. Things seem (no benchmarks) to be about 20% faster, at least for me.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>about 20% faster

Most of the time (both home & work) I agree that the forum "seems" faster

But, as before the upgrade, things are not faster 100% of the time for 100% of operations (again, both home & work)

But, as I've mentioned before, I've talked to IT where I work, and also read online magazine articles, so I know that a large % (as much as 80% ?) of web traffic is spam, so a new & heavy spambot operation could certainly slow the entire Internet to a crawl at any given time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t have the exact figures available, but we are seeing 4x as many bot/crawler page views in forums as user page views per month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delays logging into the forum seem about as bad as they ever were. Clicking login on this page and entering my adobe id/pw, there was about a 10 second delay before I was returned to this page with an active "Reply" button.

I suspect some of this is the horribly slow adobe.com servers involved in the adobe id authentication. I've observed similar nighmarish slowness trying to login to both adobe.com/go/supportportal and also partners.adobe.com.

I don’t have the exact figures available, but we are seeing 4x as many bot/crawler page views in forums as user page views per month.

If so, I would like to hope Jive does something clever to slow down the crawlers so they don't take up precious server resources and slow everything down for the rest of us. Like inserting artificial delays before serving them content, rate-limiting or traffic-shaping them, etc.

Or is that too pie-in-the-sky?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just received a notice from Adobe Jive was replacing a faulty cache card on a system aray, causing unusuallyslow load times.  said would be between 8-9 PM.  Problem is received the notice at 8:50 pm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is only 5:57 here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why I thought the system was based on East coast.

No wonder it takes so long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why I thought the system was based on East coast.

Not sure that the servers are located in the Official Adobe Compound, but would assume that they would be close by - maybe the Santa Cruz Mountain version of Cheyenne Mountain Complex in Colorado Springs, CO.

Just my guess,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Servers are Jive's and are in Colorado. But Jive's offices are on the west coast, so most forum things happen in pacific time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, Colorado. Maybe they ARE in Cheyenne Mountain... ?

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Servers are Jive's and are in Colorado.

You should get your money back.  (Or find another host.  Or better yet, build your own!)

30 seconds to load a web page is unacceptable.

3 second to load a web page is unacceptable.

.3 seconds needs to be the norm for all page lods all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2011 Oct 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For that they'd need more than better servers.  There is a HUGE amount of software running locally just to support this forum.

Out of curiosity, what page load times do YOU actually see, Jim?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2011 Oct 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Jim, but I am seeing ~ 01 sec. for Adobe pages to load/update now (10/08/2011, and as of Noon PDT). However, when I posted this THREAD, times were often up to 05 mins. (longest that I actually timed, though others were in that range too). Things DID get better, so something changed.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2011 Oct 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I tend to overlook the occasional slowdown, because I understand that maybe things fail, or maybe a system backup is using up some resources, or something.  But the implication that Adobe needs new servers needs to be backed up with measurement data.  Generally speaking, I'm not seeing long enough delays to make me want to ask them for new server hardware.

But what I *DO* suspect is that the software Jive loads onto the client system (i.e., your computer while browsing the forum) is quite inefficient.  Hence the request for timing info along with some idea of the computer power you have (I know you have some pretty good systems, Bill).

On my iPhone it takes an age for any page here to be displayed - 10 seconds or longer!  Using the very same fast Internet connection I can bring up the same page on my powerful workstation in 1 to 2 seconds.

This leads me to believe that a large part of the delay many people see is because of inefficient forum scripts running on the client computer.

I'd love to confirm this.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 09, 2011 Oct 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these scripts being sent by Jive?

I tend to think Adobe is penny-pinching and just don't have enough servers to carry the load. Or using antique or archaic equipment. And not using state of the art Output connections (FOIS), or better.

Thank goodness the speed issues are about the only thing we still have issues with.

My own experience some days there are no delays. Then other days, every post can take up nearly a minute to post. Or some not post at all. I end up having to mark as unread and wait for the next day in the hopes Ican read post.

Its either as you say poor scripting by Jive, or  the possibility I suggest, or there is simply a break down in one of the server links the post are passed to get from one desination or the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote:

Are these scripts being sent by Jive?

I tend to think Adobe is penny-pinching and just don't have enough servers to carry the load.

Yes, several quite large blocks of script are transferred from the forum site to your computer.  But even small scripts can be inefficient - such is the beauty of object-oriented programming.

While occasional faults can be explained by failures or excessive load, it's all too easy without thinking too hard to blame a server for consistently slow web page response, but if some folks are seeing fast response then it's likely not the server that's at fault!

Good things to know in trying to nail this down would be:

• Do you ever see it go fast (as in 1 to 2 second response) or is it consistently slow?
  • What browser version are you running and how much computer power do you have?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines