• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Receiving unsolicited email notifications

LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2009 Dec 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I wrote here 81., this morning I started receiving what I now see are email notifications of messages posted in that thread, starting with, and including, my own message #79. Apparently, these messages are associated with my other identity, Claudio_González, which I haven't used in two weeks.

I know I haven't asked to be notified by email of anything happening in these forums, so I would be very grateful if someone could put an end to this. If this also means removing my second identity, so much the better.

Message was edited by: Claudio González

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Claudio González wrote on 12/7/2009 11:17 PM:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/16640/cookies.JPG

Curious thing is that I deleted all Adobe related cookies early in the morning, so there seems to be a discrepancy. Unless the way the 30 years are being counted introduces an eight day shift or something.

Leap years.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I don't use email notifications, I don

't know if these normally include one's own posts. In any case, I posted a further message in the other thread, and received an email notification for it.

Incidentally, I cannot login using my other personality, so I cannot see if there is a request for notifications associated with it.

Extra linefeed kindly provided by the software (Firefox/Mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

It has been my experience that one can set the e-mail notifications at several levels, and in several places. One of the options is to notify on "All Posts by Me," or similar. If that is checked (default maybe?), then ALL posts, including the original will trigger e-mail notification.

Here's a look at some of the major places to look:

E-Mail_Profile_01.jpg

E-Mail_Profile_02.jpg

With the Jive software, there are several possible places, so some investigation might be in order.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information, Hunt. The problem is that I cannot log in

using my second identity.

Extra linefeed kindly provided by the software (Explorer/Vista).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I had not picked up on that. It's your "dobbleganger" getting all the e-mail then. Hope he's also not surfing unsavory sites...

At least my alter-egos must not have e-mail notification set to ON. I count myself lucky, though none of them have posting privileges - at least not that I have extended to 'em.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Email notifications do not send you your own posts (though I wish they did so you know that your message got posted)

It sounds like your other account's preferences are set to automatically subscribe you to any threads you post in. The Claudio_González account has 7 email subscriptions. I can remove those, but I cannot go in and change your preferences. You should stop getting those emails now, but if you log in with that account again and post a message you will get subscribed to the thread that message is in unless you first change the preferences on that account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information, John. Some observations

:

Email notifications do not send you your own posts (though I wish they did so you know that your message got posted)

Yes, I see now, posts by Claudio González are been sent to Claudio_González, not the same person for the software.

It sounds like your other account's preferences are set to automatically subscribe you to any threads you post in.

The email notifications started this morning, and are only affecting that particular thread. And I haven't used the other account in two weeks.

The Claudio_González account has 7 email subscriptions. I can remove those, but I cannot go in and change your preferences.

Yes, by all means, please remove them.

You should stop getting those emails now, but if you log in with that account again and post a message you will get subscribed to the thread that message is in unless you first change the preferences on that account.

I did try to change the preferences, but I was unable to log in. I used every combination of IDs/passwords I could think of, including my email address as ID (which I'm sure I have never used), buy none worked. I am logged in automatically as Claudio_González when my 24 hours as Claudio González end, but if that problem has been solved, it could well happen that I can never log in again. Which would be a blessing unless I misteriously start getting email notifications again.

Extra initial linefeed kindly provided by the software (Explorer/Vista).

After posting, I see that I am getting the extra garbage at the beginning of quotes. I'll try to remove it manually in the last quote.

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: Addition

Partially succeeded; cannot remove the first line; will clear up the other quotes. Now moved to Safari; got fed up of been taken back to the first message.

Message was edited again by: Claudio González, for a new addition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a new message in the affected thread over half an hour ago, and so far I have not received any notification. Thanks, John?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My identity has just been changed to Claudio_González in Safari/Vista (I think my 24 hours have ended). Although I am welcomed in the store and the forums, I cannot access my account to eliminate eventual subscriptions.

Captura.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forums just pick up whichever account you log in with at Adobe.com. We have no control over which account you log in with.

What happens if you click on the Your Stuff link in the gray bar at the top of the forum and click on Profile? What does it show there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not logged in at Adobe.com. I was correctly logged in the forums, got my identity changed without my intervention, and have no Profile button:

Captura2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your identity is NOT changing. You have more than one account in the Forums and at Adobe.

The screen shot you posted shows your Adobe.com login. I'm asking you to look at your forum profile in the gray bar at the top of the forum (below the Adobe banner, not at the top of the page)...

Without giving out your email address here is information from your accounts:

Account 1

Name: Claudio González

Adobe ID: a name, not an email address, begins with cor...

Screen Name: Claudio González

Email: Claudio@xxxxx

Forum account ID: 218230

Number of forum messages: 3,035

Account 2

Name: Claudio González

Adobe ID: your email address

Screen Name: Claudio_González

Email: Claudio@xxxxx

Forum account ID: 38868

1. of forum messages: 401

If, when prompted to log in at Adobe.com (the forums do not have a login page), you enter your email address and password you will be logged in as account #2 (with the underscore in your name).

If you enter the cor... name and password, you will be logged in as account #1.

The Adobe sign in page doesn't normally keep your information, but you may have asked your browser(s) to remember which account to sign in with. So maybe try clearing out the remembered info for adobe.com and then log in again with the name/password, not email/password, and see if that gets you in with the account you want to be using.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio, if the system continues to vascillate and sometimes identify you as account 1 and other times account 2, can I have someone from Jive contact you directly?

Looking at the history of message posts, Account 1 is the one that you associated with your old WebCrossing ID and the message history there goes back to 2002 in the PageMaker forum (which was on the WebX system).

Account 2 looks like the one you used in the old Macromedia/FuseTalk forums. All of your message history there is in the adobe.com feedback forum which came over from the Macromedia forums.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I don't seem to be explaining myself very clearly.

I have not logged in using my email address ID (Account 2). Even if I wanted to do it, I cannot because none of my normal passwords is associated with my email ID. And as used the same email address for both accounts, if I click on the Forgot Your Password? button, I am sent the one of my Account 1 (cor... ID).

In short, what is happening is this. After following the complete logout procedure of the FAQs, deleting cookies, and closing and reopening my browser, I log in using my cor... ID (Account 1). After that, I remain logged in as Claudio González for about 24 hours, regardless of what I do with my browser, and even through shutdowns. After those 24 hours, when I enter the forums, I am no longer logged in normally, but I am welcomed as Claudio_González, completely without my intervention. This can happen immediately after a shutdown, or long after one. I get the same behaviour in Firefox/Mac, Explorer/Vista and Safari/Vista; and I have not instructed any of my browsers to remember my login information.

Hope I have been more clear this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfectly clear. That's why I'm asking to have someone contact you directly.

There must be a cookie on your system that logs you back in after those 24 hours.

In the meantime, I'm going to try sending you a password reset for account # 2.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But in Explorer I have no choice and have to delete all my cookies...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which makes your situation even more confusing. There isn't an automatic login for either Adobe.com or Forums.adobe.com.

When logged in with account #2 (as your screen capture in message #9 shows), can you click on the Your Account link there and go to your Adobe.com account settings? Or does it prompt you to log in again at that point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

Which makes your situation even more confusing. There isn't an automatic login for either Adobe.com or Forums.adobe.com.

When logged in with account #2 (as your screen capture in message #9 shows), can you click on the Your Account link there and go to your Adobe.com account settings? Or does it prompt you to log in again at that point?

I am prompted to log in again. And yes, you may ask someone from Jive to contact me directly (sorry, I had missed that message).

I did receive, and followed, the instructions to change my password in Account 2 (email address ID). Only that I have no interest whatsoever in using or keeping that account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not change the username to

something not so close say Rumplestilskin (just and example)  so they can't get mixed up. Mayb ethe names are so close the dtatabases for user names are getting confused.

Just a suggestion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, I would expect the software to operate with IDs and not with screen names... My two IDs are completely different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought maybe if your renamed it you could at least indentify which account was showing up.

I have two accounts as well one I want to get rid of too. If I sign in using my username and password the account I don't want anymore shows up. If I sign up using my email address this one I am using now shows up. the both are tied to the same email address. because at the time when I signed up at Macromedia I didn't know adobe wasn't going to takeover Macromedia. so I used basically the same user name and password for both except,  my name here is Phillip Jones, and there was Phillip Jones, CET.  At Macromedia the database was based on your username while here is based on your email address. So I have to use my username here in order to use proper name and username.  If you change  the username to something off the wall maybe it won't be as likely to be mixed up.

Also there is a another dilemma   presented. According to directions at adobe.com if you change email address you are in essence creating a new account.  But what happens if say your cable company is bought out , changes hands, or your DSL - ISP goes out of business or is sold.  You now have a new account created simply because of circumstances beyond you control by having to change your email address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2009 Dec 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, my problem is not tha

t I have two identities, but that I am automatically logged in with the second when my 24 hours period with the first expires.

What you say about changes of email addresses is what has always prevented me from accepting the invitation to use one as my Adobe ID. I have no recollection of having used one in my second account, and my records say I didn't, buy it is there.

Extra linefeeds kindly provided by the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a friendly suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Also there is a another dilemma   presented. According to directions at adobe.com if you change email address you are in essence creating a new account.  But what happens if say your cable company is bought out , changes hands, or your DSL - ISP goes out of business or is sold.  You now have a new account created simply because of circumstances beyond you control by having to change your email address.

Where do you get that from (changing email address creates a new account)? All it does is change your email address (Adobe ID).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeaMonkeypicture002.jpg

Okay here it is see above this text the alert message. You change your email address you Change your ID.  In other words new account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines