• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recomend Me A New PC!

Jun 21, 2010 Jun 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for reading! i really appreciate your help! I am not just asking so you'll do the work for me... I figure you guys (and gals) are the experts and might have a brilliant idea or two on this subject. (and you could really help me avoid some SERIOUS mistakes when i go to purchase)

My name is Jonathan and i'm about to enter my 3rd year of a Bachelors of Applied Illustration at Sheridan College next fall.I'll be using CS5 to the max making 3D, Video, Photoshop and illustrator images.

My trusty old computer (betsy-loo) is far too outdated to run CS5....

So i was hoping i could find some advice as to what to upgrade to. Things to keep in mind:

I'm on a budget: about 1000$USD is probably max (not including monitor or any other peripherals)... My parents are kind, but they're not made of money.

It needs to be optimised to run Master Collection

It needs to be upgradable in the future. (i think this means it will have to be a standard case size)

Hopefully it will be the last computer i need to buy for a while (Betsy-lou lasted almost a decade before becoming obsolete thanks mostly to luck)

i personally prefer pcs but my classmates may want mac... So mac or pc!

Anyways... Thanks a bunch and i really hope i'll be able to pass your workstation recomendations to other classmates. The whole school is getting CS5 and i bet many kids are going to need an upgrade! So you may be helping more than one person here!

Jonathan barker

www.jonnydraws.blogspot.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 22, 2010 Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a place for comments on the forums.

Go to the forums for the products you will be using by selecting on the following page from the choices available

http://forums.adobe.com/

PS: There is no difference in performance between PC and Mac. Stay with the system you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

As John has pointed out, this is the wrong forum.

Considering your listed criteria, I would say that the 3D and the Video will be the most taxing uses. With that in mind, I would recommend that you go to the Adobe Premiere Hardware Forum. First, read all articles by Harm Millaard. He is the hardware guru in that group, and has published a dozen, or so articles on computers for Video editing. Then, when you've gotten some ideas, post there, for some tweaking on the computer of choice.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! Thanks alot...

I feel sorry for posting in the wrong fourm! Thanks so much for the helpful link!

Later!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel sorry for posting in the wrong fourm! Thanks so much for the helpful link!

It happens quite a bit. Not sure of all the reasons, but most here are quick to try and point a poster to the correct forum.

Here is a starter THREAD by Harm. That would be a good place to start. Remember, he's talking mostly about Video editing, but that will cover Photoshop pretty well. You will have a few additional considerations with the 3D, but considering things like the MPE in PrPro CS5, that part might be handled pretty well too.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not to be a pessimist, but the blog link in the original post could be seen as self promotion/spam...

good luck on getting a new system. yay fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I debated putting my blog in ... for the reasons you said... But i thought it hit home that i'm an illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 25, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

not to be a pessimist, but the blog link in the original post could be seen as self promotion/spam...

You know Dave... i always thought that personal promotion was not allowed in these forums / fora. However, the Dreamweaver forum is full of some of the *experts* self promoting themselves by pointing to their own websites or tom-tomming something or the other... Don't know about other fora but haven't seen it in Illustrator and don't remember seeing it in Photoshop (Windows).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not seen issue with personal sites in signatures, but if one is promoting, that would be another issue. Not sure what the final answer on this would be, but would assume that the forum FAQ's would have some fairly specific guidelines. Feel certain that I have seen such.

Now, adding personal info, like e-dresses and phone numbers, is not a good idea for personal security reasons, and it is gently discouraged, and often Abuse Reports will be filed, to help the OP's out. Just too many 'bots crawling about, looking for e-dresses, and who know what eyes will see phone numbers?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

I have not seen issue with personal sites in signatures, but if one is promoting, that would be another issue.

Hunt,

I'm talking about promoting or rather, self-promoting... just head over to the DW forum and see the sigs of some of the *experts*.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if your a newbie, or a no name (someone they never heard of) forget about it! Been that way even when part of MacroMedia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was me shunithD, and i also agree it can go way overboard. i suppose it's up to the forum mod. but back in the day (yea yea) the no self promotion rule was strictly enforced unless you were specifically directing a person you were helping to a (not for profit) solution on your site. the place to put a self promotion link would be in your profile.

if there are major self promo sigs, esp on regular's posts who should know better, i'd say it's up to the local moderator to clean that up as it's against the TOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

if there are major self promo sigs, esp on regular's posts who should know better, i'd say it's up to the local moderator to clean that up as it's against the TOS.

I think signatures should be limited to a maximum of two lines and this may include a link to a personal website where further info and alternative solutions could be found.

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shunithD wrote:

I'm talking about promoting or rather, self-promoting... just head over to the DW forum and see the sigs of some of the *experts*.

I think people posting on DW forums should be allowed to post a link to their personal website otherwise it is pointless to have a website. I don't have a website yet but as soon as I get a credit card to register and pay for my own website, I too would like to put a link to my site so that people can post comments about how it can be further improved.

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWILCOX01 wrote:

I think people posting on DW forums should be allowed to post a link to their personal website otherwise it is pointless to have a website.

And I think that the proper place to post one's website (URL) is in one's profile. One can always add something like "see my URL in my profile" in any message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

That is a good point, as usual. Were it me, that is where I would list such.

Just a personal observation,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

the_wine_snob wrote:

Claudio,

That is a good point, as usual. Were it me, that is where I would list such.

Just a personal observation,

Hunt

As personal as mine; I am not the forums manager. If I were, I would ban email addresses, URLs and the like in signatures.

Addition: I had not got the extra line at the beginning of quotations for months. The only difference today is that I am out of town for a long weekend and I am using a different type of connection (DSL instead of cable).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have no prob with stuff like that in a sig, in general. it's just a little more suspicious when it's a very low post count person. no offense...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have any questions on the policies with regards to links in signatures, please post them in a new thread with a proper subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines