Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reply versus Reply to original post in Adobe Forums

Explorer ,
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

1. What is the difference beteween "Reply" and "Reply to original post" in Adobe Forums?

2. What will happen if we Click on the Reply option?

3. What will happen if we Click on the Reply to original post option?

ReplyVSReplytooriginalpost.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Reply posts your message as a reply to the specific message/user you are replying to. Reply to original posts the reply to the message/user that started the discussion.

The forums display the threads in "flat" view, so there isn't a big visible difference, except for the first line in each reply that says "...in response to: name"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply posts your message as a reply to the specific message/user you are replying to. Reply to original posts the reply to the message/user that started the discussion.

The forums display the threads in "flat" view, so there isn't a big visible difference, except for the first line in each reply that says "...in response to: name"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change your thread view from Flat to Threaded in preferences. Then you will see replies indented. But then replies may appear to be out of date order because of the threaded view. Personally, I find forums much easier to follow in flat view like a real conversation going on in real time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

That was one of the repies that I supplied in the thread that Creative had posted in the PS forum, and is often either unknown, or overlooked my even some "old hands."

If one were taking Jive "feature requests," I suggest a toggle in the thread viewing page, so one would not have to go to their Options...

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also add that, as a posted message can be edited only until it receives its first reply, repliying to the original post may give more time to edit the message you are answering to...

And yes, unless you quote totally or partially the message you are replying to, it is a way to indicate to whom you are replying. Although many posters do not notice this and limit themselves to automatically replying to the last post...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2011 May 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claudio,

As you may have guessed, I only saw your post (today), long after posting mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Hi Claudio,

As you may have guessed, I only saw your post (today), long after posting mine.

Don't worry, Jacob. You added my trick for cases in which a poster includes what looks to me like private information that the author wouldn't really want to publish in a public forum. I noticed after posting that I had left that part out, and afterwards I was too lazy to post a new message to add it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is strange, Claudio.

When I read the thread and decided to post, your post had not turned up yet, and I did not reread the thread after posting, so I cannot tell for sure.

But as far as I know, the time stamp of the post always reflects the latest submission, whether edited (once or more times) or not. And your post was 5 minutes before mine.

So I believed that you posted and edited long before I was even beginning.

But now I seem to remember that I edited my post as well, so we may very well have been cross editing.

Another reason to reply to the OP whenever possible.

Usually, when I wish to do that but need to quote something from one of the other (non OP) posts, I copy it before pressing the Post Reply button. If I need to quote more than one post, I have the thread in one Tab (Firefox speak) and the reply in another one so I can go back and forth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, as I recall things, I saw your message quite later than posting mine, although they now appear with a 5 minute difference; but unless JC also edited his message immediately before mine, it couldn't have been more than some 47 minutes after his. I also seem to recall that I added the last sentence of my message some time after posting, but couldn't say how much later. Don't trust my memory too much, though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't trust my memory too much, though...

Nor mine (at least in this case), Claudio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative,

In addition to what John said there are a few important things more.

When you click one of the Reply buttons, you can (only) see and copy from the post you are replying to.

Any post can be edited, but only until someone replies to it; from then on, that post is locked. This is especially important if someone posts private details that should not be public. If someone replies to that post with a warning, John or one of the hosts will have to remove the information; if someone replies to the original post, the post is still editable so the poster can remove the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative1977 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

1. What is the difference beteween "Reply" and "Reply to original post" in Adobe Forums?

Another major difference is that you can only quote from the message you replied to; in this case I replied to your original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Deleted by myself; I made a mistake).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2011 May 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ,

Well - So how did you do that? It did not happen to me. Just now few minutes ago I replied to my original post and then again replied to reply option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another major difference is that you can only quote from the message you replied to; in this case I replied to your original post.

Pat, this is quoted from your last message, but, I am replying to the original one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Claudio is showing (I think), one can Quote from many sources in a thread, but can only do so easily, without prior planning, or later editing, directly from the message to which one is replying. One can also do a Block Quote from any text, say from a Web site, or a document.

Hunt

Example:

Guy Hamilton was again chosen to direct, and since he was a jazz fan, decided to film in New Orleans. Hamilton didn't want to use Mardi Gras sinceThunderball featured Junkanoo, a similar festivity, so, following suggestions of a friend and searching for locations in helicopters, he decided to use two well-known features of the city, the jazz funerals and the canals.[2][3]

From a recent post, that involved the James Bond film, Live and Let Die.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Again Everyone,

Again thank you for your responses. Replying to Reply option from Bill Hunt's most recent comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your responses. Indeed very helpful answers from all.

( Replying to original post option )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2011 May 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Creative,

This is what you get if you just Reply to the original post using the Quote button (top left with the "):

Creative1977 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Then it is possible to delete parts (and maybe insert ... to show where the deletion is)

to get a partial quote (especially relevant in connexion with key words/phrases/parts in a long (original) post),

Creative1977 wrote:

It is also possible to just select and copy parts,

And change into a (partial) quote (by selecting it and using the Quote button),

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines