• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sigh - Another Problem: Failure To Launch Editor Pane

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so what's new that the following is now intermittently happening with the web interface?

1.  Hit Reply.

2.  Post Reply to...  page opens.

3.  Editor pane fails to open, it just stops with a minimal window showing and nowhere to type...

FailureToLaunch.jpg

This is intermittent, but seems to be dependent on something external...  Some days it almost never happens, sometimes it happens almost every time.

Just hitting refresh, after the above occurs, will virtually always lead to a fully functioning reply window, including editor pane - so it's not a huge deal, but it's just another irritation.

-Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote on 11/04/05 17:12:

1. Hit Reply.

2. Post Reply to... page opens.

3. Editor pane fails to open, it just stops with a minimal window showing and nowhere to type...

Happens when one of the .js files fails to load. Clear all caches /

proxies and try again. If it continues to fail we need your geographical

location (so we can see from which proxy they should come) and the

filename of the file that doesn't load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, it loads sometimes and not others, so cached data is probably not the issue, but I've done as you say and cleared the cache.  I'll turn on tracing and see if I can get info on what script is failing.

I'm in southeast Florida, USA, accessing the net through HotWire.  If it's helpful, here's a tracert to your server:

Tracing route to adobe.hosted.jivesoftware.com [209.46.39.53]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.2.1
  2     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  173.199.192.1
  3     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  10.52.0.53
  4     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  10.52.0.41
  5     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  10.52.0.77
  6     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  10.50.0.17
  7     2 ms     2 ms     2 ms  10.50.0.13
  8     2 ms     2 ms     2 ms  10.50.0.29
  9     2 ms     2 ms     2 ms  10.50.0.42
10     2 ms     2 ms     2 ms  ae5-191.edge2.miami1.level3.net [4.59.84.93]
11     2 ms    14 ms     2 ms  ae-31-51.ebr1.Miami1.Level3.net [4.69.138.94]
12    31 ms    31 ms    30 ms  ae-2-2.ebr1.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.140.133]
13    31 ms    30 ms    30 ms  4.69.151.161
14    31 ms    30 ms    30 ms  ae-92-92.ebr2.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.151.166]
15    45 ms    50 ms    53 ms  ae-2-2.ebr1.Denver1.Level3.net [4.69.132.105]
16    46 ms    64 ms    46 ms  ae-11-51.car1.Denver1.Level3.net [4.69.147.67]
17    46 ms    46 ms    46 ms  SUNGARD-NET.car1.Denver1.Level3.net [4.53.0.118]
18    46 ms    46 ms    46 ms  209.46.54.39
19    47 ms    46 ms    46 ms  65.168.255.156
20    47 ms    46 ms    47 ms  209.46.39.53

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reproduced the problem and captured the traffic.  As well, I've captured the same network activity when it worked OK.  You should be able to discern the problem by comparing these two XML files...  They are here:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/NetworkData_FailureToLaunchEditorProblem.zip

Note that I was not able to reproduce the problem in about 10 tries if I cleared the cache each time immediately before hitting [Reply].  Thus, the problem may be timing related - this is a very fast workstation.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing all sorts of antivirus headers in the traffic that do not

originate on Adobe servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avast Pro is checking my web traffic, yes.  From what I can see it's not flagging anything as a problem - they all say "Clean".  I'm not getting any notifications that it's blocking anything from your site either.

Avast doesn't get in the way of anything I can discern, except real malware.  But hey, I'll disable it and reproduce the problem.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go.  As expected, it still fails without the AV software on the job:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/NetworkData_FailureToLaunchEditor_NoAV.zip

Please let me know what else I can test or provide for you.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still doing this today.  Just thought you'd like to know.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same results, without any active AV programs. The Edit screen to load properly is very intermittent, and seldom happens twice in a row. Without keeping tabs, I'd say that it happens about 1:50 times, though when the forum is "acting up," that ratio goes up. The same thing happens with the Attach Link - most times it opens the Link dialog box fine, but sometimes hangs with it partially open. In both instances, a cancel and a second attempt is almost always 100% successful. This is with both Chrome and IE7.

The above are just observations, and I have done zero tracking, as the failures are so seldom for me.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2011 Apr 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This evening this has started to happen every single time I respond to a post.  Talk about a concentration breaker!

It feels like a timing issue to me.  On my system something's finishing before it's expected to.

I've just cleared the browser cache to see if it will help.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2011 Apr 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

I have never seen it THAT bad, but have encountered it at about a 1:3 ratio.

I have also had issues with the same thing happening with the Link function, where that dialog never loads fully. I've had that happen at about a 1:4 ratio. Cancel and do-over, almost always gets things working - at least until the next time.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, well, sooner or later it'll get fixed, probably right after the programmer gets a fast new computer.

Today it's running about 50:50.  Definitely timing related.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys are late to the party.  I have seen this happen occasionally for years. Probably about once every 10-15 posts.

The editor pane opens eventually, but it may take at least another 10 seconds.

FireFox browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this behavior is not related to the Read Tracking change, as it has been going on for some time. It does seem that the frequency will pick up - spike - then diminish. I had gone maybe a month, without seeing it happen, but then this week, the frequency picked up.

IE 7 & Chrome

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Curt Y wrote:

The editor pane opens eventually, but it may take at least another 10 seconds.

Nope.  I've left it for 10 minutes or more to test just for that.  In this case it never appears.

Sounds like a different kind of failure.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines