• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

thanks for fixing email subjects ( cookie removed )

Advocate ,
May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday emails from my forum subscriptions reverted to sort into clean threads - this cookie turning the emails into singletons is hopefully gone forever.

Many thanks to whoever found the plug ...

Dirk

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>

Since yesterday emails from my forum subscriptions reverted to sort

into clean threads -

Well, almost... The original posts are not grouped with the rest (at

least in Mac Mail). Hopefully they'll do a real fix one day...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harbs. wrote:

>

Since yesterday emails from my forum subscriptions reverted to sort 

into clean threads -

Well, almost... The original posts are not grouped with the rest (at 

least in Mac Mail). Hopefully they'll do a real fix one day...

Harbs

They have this same problem in SeaMonkey. But is manageable. At least the show up together; but, they not linked. I think what the problem is that the system is not ignoring the "Re:" like almost all other Mail Readers do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should probably be gone from email notifications:

If you post by replying to this email, be sure to leave the square-bracketed text at the end of the subject line as it is. This will help ensure that your message is posted correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

They have this same problem in SeaMonkey.

Hi Philip... By now we all know you use and love SeaMonkey... but please give us a break. Most of us don't use SeaMonkey. We use IE or FF and, maybe, a few others. Your comments regarding the use of SeaMonkey are, therefore, not really helpful. Please check out your experiences in other browsers and then comment... or, refrain from the refrain of SeaMonkey.

Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harbs,

I just came back to report the same - some new topics arriving.

For OSX Mail it probably is sufficient if the "Re:" were moved to the beginning, but even better the server could support the "In-Reply-To:" header as of RFC 822: 4.6.2., This appears to work with other list servers even with completely rewritten subjects ...

Dirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dirk,

They are supposedly working on the headers. I think we're going to

have to sit tight until we get a real fix...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Harbs noted, they are supposedly working on the headers. I just want to add that I hope they include a proper References: header with the full chain of message IDs. Threading at its best and as designed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 on that !!

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 02:44:16PM -0600, Mark A. Boyd spoke:

As Harbs noted, they are supposedly working on the headers. I just want to add that I hope they include a proper References: header with the full chain of message IDs. Threading at its best and as designed.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2009 May 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of this weekend, we've made some changes to the subject line to remove the square bracketed text at the end of the subject line (which was unique), so that emails can now group, assuming people just hit "reply" and don't change the subject line.

Some of you have noticed that the "Re: " that appears in the subject line causes some email readers to consider it a separate message than the original - I believe Gmail is the only one that will group these together, and various other email clients will behave differently.

This fix doesn't allow true threading (which is driven off the headers) - this only allows grouping by subject line. While this is not a proper fix to address the desire for threading, it's an interim change for the time being which should provide some limited improvement to the situation. We have a separate request in our priority list to make the proper changes to the headers, though at this time we don't have an ETA on when this will be available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kanguyen wrote:

As of this weekend, we've made some changes to the subject line to remove the square bracketed text at the end of the subject line (which was unique), so that emails can now group, assuming people just hit "reply" and don't change the subject line.

Some of you have noticed that the "Re: " that appears in the subject line causes some email readers to consider it a separate message than the original - I believe Gmail is the only one that will group these together, and various other email clients will behave differently.

This fix doesn't allow true threading (which is driven off the headers) - this only allows grouping by subject line. While this is not a proper fix to address the desire for threading, it's an interim change for the time being which should provide some limited improvement to the situation. We have a separate request in our priority list to make the proper changes to the headers, though at this time we don't have an ETA on when this will be available.

Thanks for the update. They do seem to be still grouped together but not linked in SeaMonkey (a Mozilla Product). Its acceptable for the time being until a fix is found. In any event much better than the other the other behavior, by a long shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi [kanguyen],

Thank you for the work you're doing on this.

There is a glitch in the subject line code that I didn't notice before. It may have been there all along, but I didn't pay much attention before.

If the subject line changes at any time, email replies with the new subject get converted back to the original subject by the Jive software.

Of course I don't expect the new subject line to be grouped with the original subject until other headers are implemented, but this still breaks "Group by Subject" in such a situation.

I have a thread in Testing to illustrate the issue http://forums.adobe.com/thread/430889

Thank you for your attention.

[Edit: Oops! You're not John!]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Before the fix my email replies were arriving blank.

On the day of the fix, my email replies arrived as intended.

Today I have replied to two posts by email and they haven't arrived at all.

k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines