Exit

This discussion is locked

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whose idea was it to lock this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1118517?tstart=0

How can we post a woprkaround for people still using old products. 

The thread was started on 20th December 2012 and closed soon after that.  I thought these forums are meant for support of Adobe products so why close the thread.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to me that the last link in the thread is a link to a post

that links to the solution, so I think it's actually OK. No?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

It appears to me that the last link in the thread is a link to a post

that links to the solution, so I think it's actually OK. No?

Without giving the OP the chance to say if that solution worked for him or not, and to say thank you in case it did, or even to say tyhanks for the link? No, I think this is not in the least OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I don't believe in locking any threads.  All threads should be kept open irrespective of whether answered or not because the solution given may not work for everybody and so they may want to post a follow up.

But this is Adobe Forums where rules are made on the hoof and ordinary people have simply no right of reply.  This is the only forum where there are no written rules to follow.  You look at Google, Microsoft, Twitter, Facebook  and Corel all have more or less open door policy where people can post anything relevant about the topic.   I have been analyzing the number of posts in DW forum and it is surprising to find that month after month the numbers are falling.  Perhaps I should post a summary in January.

Perhaps this thread should be locked as well because it is not likely to result into some concrete results of changes to the rules of these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, I see some things a bit differently. Some threads should be locked.

However, I failed to see the reason for the cited example, so am not sure of the "why." Maybe the MOD, who locked it, will comment. There could be a good reason, though I failed to notice it.

Just my observation,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

All threads should be kept open irrespective of whether answered or not because the solution given may not work for everybody and so they may want to post a follow up.

These forums serve multiple purposes both to customers and internally, they are not just a user-to-user chatroom. We have a duty to keep the content efficiently-organized because it's indexed by the Community Help system. Redundant threads serve no purpose whatsoever, we absolutely do not want people replying in several places to an identical question, so in this case it was perfectly correct for the staff member to lock the duplicate question and redirect to the primary discussion. Every moderated forum  does it.

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

But this is Adobe Forums where rules are made on the hoof and ordinary people have simply no right of reply.  This is the only forum where there are no written rules to follow. 

Wrong, wrong and wrong - not only are there very clearly published guidelines and terms of use linked at the bottom of every page, but you are talking about this in Forum Comments. If that's not a 'right of reply', I don't know what is.

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

I have been analyzing the number of posts in DW forum and it is surprising to find that month after month the numbers are falling.

The number of new posts has nothing whatsoever to do with the  effectiveness of the site. As with any knowledgebase system the more answers we have in the database, the fewer new questions are necessary. As a normal user you cannot see the statistics, but I assure you the site is as popular as it ever was. We want to see fewer questions, because it means there are fewer customers with unresolved problems. It's why the default entry point is to search the existing content rather than create a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

These forums serve multiple purposes both to customers and internally, they are not just a user-to-user chatroom. We have a duty to keep the content efficiently-organized because it's indexed by the Community Help system. Redundant threads serve no purpose whatsoever, we absolutely do not want people replying in several places to an identical question, so in this case it was perfectly correct for the staff member to lock the duplicate question and redirect to the primary discussion. Every moderated forum  does it.

Obviously then, staff members are not watching the Reader forum. There are dozens and dozens of threads in which Pat Willener, graffiti and others, myself included, have given the same answers to the same questions posted by poor lost souls who have never come back and therefore the threads are nor even marked as Answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The moderators in that forum are free to prune the questions if they wish, and it is agreed policy that questions should be marked as 'answered' if the original poster doesn't bother. I can't force them to do it, but staff presence has nothing to do with the moderation - in fact most staffers on here aren't moderators at all.

Claudio González wrote:

Obviously then, staff members are not watching the Reader forum. There are dozens and dozens of threads in which Pat Willener, graffiti and others, myself included, have given the same answers to the same questions posted by poor lost souls who have never come back and therefore the threads are nor even marked as Answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I only mentioned staff members because you had written

it was perfectly correct for the staff member to lock the duplicate question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed: the thread is locked, but the question is not marked as Answered. Peculiar if the thread was closed bercause the question was considered as Answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines