Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unusable

May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unusable for me today. between 404 errors and waiting for stats.adobe.com and wwwimages.adobe.com and the posting box never appearing when i go to place a response to something. i think i've made like 2 posts today. i'm not willing to wait 2-5 MINUTES for things to finish downloading or to hit reload then reload again (at 30 secs a pop) to clear out 404 errors.

guys, THIS IS THE ONLY SITE I VISIT THAT BEHAVES LIKE THIS!!!

we're months into this cr*p experiment. don't you have a lemon clause in your jive contract? i suggest you exercise it and go back to web crossing.

i'm actually shocked i was able to get the posting box to appear for this. i'm going to copy and save this message out to notepad before posting because i fully expect to be logged out when i hit the post button.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, golly! i hit "post" and it didn't ask me to log in (again!) AND it went pretty quickly... under 5 seconds.

edit: THIS reply took about 10 seconds to show after hitting post. UNACCEPTABLE ADOBE!

UNACCEPTABLE!

Message was edited by: dave milbut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

well, golly! i hit "post" and it didn't ask me to log in (again!) AND it went pretty quickly... under 5 seconds.

edit: THIS reply took about 10 seconds to show after hitting post. UNACCEPTABLE ADOBE!

UNACCEPTABLE!

Message was edited by: dave milbut

lol I'm sorry, the only way I can read this post is in the voice of Professor Farnsworth because of that avatar pic... it's just so in-character. 

We should do what he would in this situation: create an army of evil mutant cybernetic robots to storm Adobe's HQ and re-establish non-Jived up forum functionalities.  That, or an angry letter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

waiting for stats.adobe.com and wwwimages.adobe.com

JC's just explained in another post that those wretched things are on the Adobe site, it's not about Jive in this case. Not a problem before because we weren't on the image-heavy, short-cache-timed main site. Of course in here we get to wait for the chunky silver swimmer image file even though it's covered up and we don't see it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wwwimages.adobe.com holds a bunch of css and javascripts too, not just images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Of course in here we get to wait for the chunky silver swimmer image file even though it's covered up and we don't see it

Kath, what is the "silver swimmer image"?

Wonderful.  I was logged in and surfing for the last 20 minutes, go to make a reply ... it won't let me.  I got logged out. 

Could *someone* please, PLEASE fix the reply box so that the backspace moves at an equal pace to clicking it?  I swear it takes nearly 1 second per backspace stroke.  That's not normal for any other forum that I visit, just this one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't duplicate your experience in the text editor box. I can't get ahead of it while typing (I'm pretty quick).

I even tried holding down a key ...................................... and it zips along.

Backspace to delete text is just as fast as typing. No slowdowns or delays.

Do you have the spell checker toggled on and running in the background? You can tell that is happening because the abc-check icon has a line around it and a blue background when it is running. And incorrect spellings are highlighted as you type. I think you have to have an incorrect spelling in the text already for it to be able to turn on and not just do a "spot check."

That could possibly slow things down as it re-checks spelling every 15 seconds. But nothing as drastic as what you are describing.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my Mac/Firefox and in my Vista/Explorer, I have always observed since the trial version a very small slowness when typing, but about a 1 second delay when using the backspace key. This is most annoying, as almost always I manage to delete more characters than I wanted... And no, I have no active spell checker; I don't even know if it works at all, or in which languge it will check if it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

I can't duplicate your experience in the text editor box. I can't get ahead of it while typing (I'm pretty quick).

I even tried holding down a key ...................................... and it zips along.

Backspace to delete text is just as fast as typing. No slowdowns or delays.

Do you have the spell checker toggled on and running in the background? You can tell that is happening because the abc-check icon has a line around it and a blue background when it is running. And incorrect spellings are highlighted as you type. I think you have to have an incorrect spelling in the text already for it to be able to turn on and not just do a "spot check."

That could possibly slow things down as it re-checks spelling every 15 seconds. But nothing as drastic as what you are describing.

John

can't duplicate it.... isn't that the story of my life! 

My message box is always slow.  Typing is pretty close to spot on, but backspacing has always been slow.  I know there were a couple of other folks in here complaining about it.  With regards to the spell checker, it's off for me.

In case you need this info:

I am running FF 3.0.10 with greasemonkey (disabled), adblock plus, forecast fox and move media player (didn't know I had this one??) installed.  I am on a PC running Win XP Pro, SP3

hopper

edit:  ahhh, thank you Claudio, I *knew* I wasn't alone! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

ahhh, thank you Claudio, I *knew* I wasn't alone! 

Don't worry; when you behave, you have friends all over the world...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ hopper: standard background image on Adobe pages - it's still here although it's covered up.

screenshot_06.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

@ hopper: standard background image on Adobe pages - it's still here although it's covered up.

You couldn't make this stuff up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similarly we have this, where a plain black bar would be fine:

screenshot_07.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, this is down to being within the main Adobe site, can't blame Jive. In fact a lot of slowdowns people see just might be down to that, being in the main site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 20, 2009 May 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Again, this is down to being within the main Adobe site, can't blame Jive. In fact a lot of slowdowns people see just might be down to that, being in the main site.

Good point, Kath.  The performance of the Adobe site, including the store, has been abysmal for years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

The performance of the Adobe site, including the store, has been abysmal for years!

Absolutely!   They keep piling new stuff on over old, most of it laden down with scripts and animations.

Maybe it's meant to be visually exciting   —   I find it a pain in the neck.

It has got beyond the point of needing a cleanup; they have to start again from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe site used to be such a clean easy to use site then they bought out Macromedia and we got all the Sh!t

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2009 May 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They keep piling new stuff on over old, most of it laden down with scripts and animations.

It has got beyond the point of needing a cleanup; they have to start again from scratch.

Are you talking about Adobe.com or Illustrator? Because that could apply to both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2009 May 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott Falkner wrote:

They keep piling new stuff on over old, most of it laden down with scripts and animations.

Are you talking about Adobe.com or Illustrator? Because that could apply to both.

Let's just say, anything with Adobe in the name.  

Even their promotional emails are practically unreadable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2009 May 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

Let's just say, anything with Adobe in the name.  

Even their promotional emails are practically unreadable!

That's why I tag them as Spam. If we all do it in our webmail interfaces, then eventually Google, Yahoo, et al will start doing it for us (and for everyone else).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 23, 2009 May 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Scott Falkner wrote:

That's why I tag them as Spam.

Not really a good idea at all.

Adobe sometimes notifies us of updates, upgrades, reward offers and general discount offers—for instance the registration rewards—as well as special events that sometimes turn out be significant by email.

As a matter of fact, I have specifically added the sender of any and all legitimate Adobe emails to my address book, just to prevent their ever being classified as spam.

Scott Falkner wrote:

If we all do it in our webmail interfaces, then eventually Google, Yahoo, et al will start doing it for us (and for everyone else).

Aha!  If it happens, we'll know where to send the goons to beat you up.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered why we hadn't been hearing from you dave.

For me it's still a pain compared to the BJ days but not as extreme as you describe.

Sorry to hear it mate.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am constantly wondering about all these complaints about this forum's performance

For me, this is one of the fastest forums (fora?) on the web. I never see/feel any delay - anything I do here is instantaneous. Could it be because I am located at the other side of the world (from the US), that when I'm using it, there is almost nobody else online?

In which case a little server upgrade (RAM) may solve the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

I am constantly wondering about all these complaints about this forum's performance

For me, this is one of the fastest forums (fora?) on the web. I never see/feel any delay - anything I do here is instantaneous. Could it be because I am located at the other side of the world (from the US), that when I'm using it, there is almost nobody else online?

In which case a little server upgrade (RAM) may solve the problem?

From my own experience, and what I read in here, I would say you are extremely lucky. I am also very far from the USA, but at a similar time zone. However, I am an early riser, and very often I visit these forums 2-3 hours before the sun rises in the East coast of the USA. No difference; for me, these are definitely the slowest forums I frequent, by very far, at any time of the day or of the night. And as I have explained repeatedly in other threads, this slowness affects only these forums, and only since the first day of the trial period, so it can't be linked with my setup or my connection to the Internet -they haven't changed at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The performance of the forum is ok here, at work, in Sweden, but a more annoying problem to me is that I get logged out every once in a while. I have ticked the keep me logged in checkbox, but perhaps the session times out anyway, and also loggs me out.

There's also the search motor of the forum - by default searching in all of the forum and just in the "Indesign Scripting" forum which I'm interested in. Setting the filter to that forum only involves finding InDesign Scripting in a very long list of choices, and doing that for every new search (the filter set, is not remembered/stored for my user). The old behaviour when the search was performed "below" the forum part you were currently in, was better then getting results from everywhere.

-- Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines