• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Urgent question: forum or newsgroup?

LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2009 Mar 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to convince Spanish speaking users "from the other side" (ex MM forums in Spanish) to post here their opinions about the changes that are almost here, but have not been succesful. All of them do not use browsers as such to access the forums, and they seem convinced that they are participating, not in a forum, but in a newgroup, housed but not controlled by Adobe. In fact, in the topic lists they are identified as "newsgroup users" while browser users are identified by their screen names.

One of the oldest and most respected participants there has just posted a message in which he states that NNTP users do not access those forums through the Adobe site, so they don't need an Adobe ID, just an email address which doesn't even have to be a real or existing one.

I find this strange, as it would discriminate against those of us using normal browser access. I cannot post in there if I'm not a registered Adobe user, and that means that at some stage I have to provide a valid email address, an identificator (the Adobe ID), and a screen name. But he insists that they don't have to register and have never done.

Could someone please clarify this matter for me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 24, 2009 Mar 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>happened like magic

Bless :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I'm saying that was part of what we paid WebX to administer as part of their service. And they wrote the software to make it relatively seamless for John. It's just a box on setup pages labeled "Email list and/or newsgroup name:" that he filled in with the appropriate name. The rest was done by WebX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my original question has been completely answered, and I have also received plenty of additional historical information I did not require but has been enlightening and entertaining.

If we were in the new version of the forums, I would have marked my question as "answered" at about message #5, and given points to those who contributed to complete the answer I seeked. And we would have missed all the subsequent fun... XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, of course, Mike's concise and accurate answer to your question was posted from the newsserver ;)

.jive-points {
display: none;
}

(Not a real CSS version. Just made it up down here in NNTP land.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>If we were in the new version of the forums, I would have marked my question as "answered" at about message #5, and given points to those who contributed to complete the answer I seeked. And we would have missed all the subsequent fun... XD

It is kind of spooky, especially since the "filter" provided offers just "all threads" "open questions" and "answered questions" as options. What I want is "all threads" or "unread topics or posts".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

Of course, it was posted by nttp. That is the most efficient method as
long as you don't need to do things like attachments (Webex nttp server
doesn't accept attachments) nor other hostly duties.

My first experience with nttp for support was with CE Software that ran
its own private nttp server as its primary internet-based support eons
ago. I thought it was the cats meow.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 25, 2009 Mar 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

Absolutely!

My first experience with NNTP was back when I had a .mil address and cat's meow says it well. Along came that hyper text tranfer protocol thing which was cool in its own way. I was able to jump to related documents on different computers around the world without manually opening connections, logging in, etc. (Terminal).

I was curious when I started seeing [image] in the pages, and looking at the source, it was clear that things were changing. A real eye-opener when I obtained a Mosaic browser for my OS!

Sadly, the trend now seems to be to use the Web for all things Internet. Slow and full of disadvantages (at this stage). I suspect the real drive behind it, in the corporate world, is data collection and statistics. HTTP is better suited for bean counters, statisticians, and marketing departments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebCrossing has an NNTP server built-in. That is why you can authenticate logins and why you can edit/delete messages. One didn't come before the other.

The FuseTalk application has a gateway to an external NNTP server. That works well most of the time--until you need to do something like delete some spam or edit a message because someone entered some personal information, or anything like that. The version of the message on the NNTP server doesn't get updated if the web version is edited. And if you delete a message from the web version the NNTP gateway sees that it isn't on the web server any longer and posts it again. It also makes all messages posted via NNTP associate to one user account. And without authentication anyone can log in and post as someone else. See the messages at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=35&catid=216&threadid=1414882&enterthread=y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite sophisticated, and thank you and Dorothy for the clarifications.

There may have been an improvement to the edit feature, though. In one of my posts from from NNTP, I left a regular newsgroup quote in by accident. I edited it via WebX and the NNTP version shows the edited version.

Of course, I may not have downloaded the NNTP messages until after I did the WebX edit, but I thought it was interesting. FuseTalk edits definitely do not make it to the NNTP server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind about the edit feature. I just realized that you were specifically talking about FuseTalk when you mentioned it.

FuseTalk is even worse for coders, though. It converts things often found in code snippets to its text formatting syntax, and flat out munges other parts of code. Horrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
> And without authentication anyone can log in and post as someone else. See the messages at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=35&catid=216&threadid=1414882&enterthread=y

I'm not sure I'm following you there. The OP in that thread was posted via FuseTalk, which requires login. The other two were posted from NNTP, but all they changed was their From: header. The rest of the headers make it clear that they likely are from the same person. At least they came from the same computer according to the NNTP-Posting-Host: header. (I don't think JC [you?] would leave his computer logged in in the wrong places)

Such spoofing is a small problem with newsgroup posting, but people doing that are easily spotted and routed out. Actually, I don't recall seeing anybody do that on the MM newsgroups. It happens in the Usenet alt.* groups sometimes, but there are all sorts of kooks out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines