Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewing linked images

Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community Feedback,

Is there a good reason why it is apparently not possible to view a linked image in browser? An example in the topic below:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/there-is-an-error-in-the-vector-path/td-p/10867380

Users often link images in this way instead of posting them inline. I can see no way to view it from the forum; I am forced to download and open the file locally. This is a slow and annoying way to work.

TOPICS
Bug , Enhancement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is the default behavior for clicking a link to a file, it has to be saved.

But I think I have also come across the behavior you want, so it's probably possible, may be with javascript.

I have previously suggested that jpg, png and gif files should not be allowed for attachments, that would solve the problem.

When a user tries to attach one of these file types, a message should appear, telling the user to use the Insert photos button.

Also, the Attach file icon should be moved to the toolbar.

The whole image viewing system has major issues, ideally, it should work like this:

Click the thumbnail to open a modal window with the image.

This modal window should fill the screen if necessary.

Clicking in the modal window should open the full size image in a new tab.

No metadata, including icc profiles should be stripped out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encourage users to a) don'tuse e-mail to attach files. And b) do use the forum's rich-text editor tools to insert an image directly into the reply.  That way, no file downloading is needed.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is because your browser options are set to auto-open that file format in external application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That file does not auto-open in any application, it just downloads. Are you saying you can view the file in that linked topic in your browser without that step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What setting do I need to look for? I browsed through a bunch of likely places and couldn't see anything that said "Download attachments before opening"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This is because your browser options are set to auto-open that file format in external application."

I couldn't find that setting in  Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines