• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why "Assumed Answered" when there are no replies?

Community Expert ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do some posts appear marked as Assumed Answered when there have been no replies?

Photoshop for Beginners

assumed-answered.png

If this is in error, is there any way of un-marking it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen it a few times, too.

I believe it is an unintentional marking by the OP, who would then be able to change it, as would a moderator, presumably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would the software even offer to set a question without any replies as "assumed answered"?

And no, once it is set, it can't be undone from what I've seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And no, once it is set, it can't be undone from what I've seen.

That's my conclusion too.

Leads me not to trust the green Answered icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I am afraid that the answer to your original question is because "that's the way the Jive software works". As in many other cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I struggle to believe that this is by design.

Many questions will go unanswered if they are assumed answered for no reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is just a bug and needs to be looked at by the developers.  By posting here, I doubt anybody is working on this so it won't be fixed in the near future unless Maddison Murphy sees it and takes some positive action to report it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I've alerted Madison to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detail, everyone. Alerting jive now- sorry for the delay! I'll keep you updated here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2014 May 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this is what I was told… doesn't appear that any replies are needed for it to be marked. Weird.

"When a discussion thread is marked as a question, the following kinds of users can mark replies as Helpful or Correct answers:

• Community administrators
  • Space, group, or project owners where the question was posted
  • The user who posted the question

In addition, all of these users except the user who posted the question can mark the entire thread as Assumed Answered if the question was answered through the course of the discussion. These signals make it easier for people reading the thread to see which responses were on track. This could save them time if they've got the same question."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we understand the principle of Assumed Answered but that response does not address the question at hand.

Did Jive actually look at the question being asked here? Sounds like a canned response to "What does Assumed Answered mean"?

To my mind, a thread marked Assumed Answered which contains only a question with no responses is a flawed design.

The whole point is that there is no discussion in the thread (or discussion) so Assumed Answered is meaningless.

It also frustrates people searching the forums later who see a question they've got and see the green answered icon, click on it to find ... nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I see exactly when you mean- Jive was just informing that this is not a bug. Do you think turning off the "assumed answered" feature would be the best option? I really doubt we would be able to edit the existing figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think there's any point or hope in Adobe getting Jive to change what is obviously core behaviour.

However, according to Dave Merchant, it has a backend purpose in cleaning up legacy questions apparently:

"Yes it seems strange to be able to mark a thread with no replies as AA, but it makes sense if you think the OP never came back, so must have found an answer someplace else. Marking these 'dead' questions as AA clears them from the task lists. Remember SBS has a bunch of features for tracking open questions and nagging people to do something, which can get annoying."

That answers this particular question far better than the response from Jive.

I see both points of view: user and admin. However, it looks very odd from the user POV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines