• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU Render Error | Nvidia GTX 1080 | Premiere Pro CC (2017)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

Recently we switched from a Mac Pro (Late 2013) to a Windows PC.

Here are our specs:

Asus X99-A II

Intel Core i7-6900K

Asus GTX 1080 STRIX GAMING NVIDIA 8GB D5X

64 GB Corsair D432GB 2400-16

Unfortunately everytime we want to render our sequence in Premiere we get the following GPU render error

15879590_10154800085677488_2075984352_n.png15934536_10154800034952488_1272769041_n.png

We tried rendering the sequence in 1080p or 4K.
Different formats like H264 and Quicktime. CBR, VBR 1, VBR 2, nothing really helps.
Old an new Nvidia drivers etc..

We literally tried everything.

The weird thing about this GPU error is that the point of failure is always somewhere else.

The footage we are editing is from our RED Epic-W mostly shot in 6K or 8K RAW.
Our composition is 3840 x 2160.

We used different dynaminc links between PR and AE, some with the RSMB plugin.
Setting RSMB to render by CPU instead of GPU doesn't help either.

We can render the sequence in three different parts and then combine them together.
But thats a big waste of time.

I can't imagine that one of the most popular graphic cards is not supported by Adobe.

We've run a few benchmarks to stress the GPU (FurMarck, Valley Benchmark, etc).
The GPU usage was 100% for a few hours, it stayed very cool at 57° and didn't fail at all.

Does somebody have the same problem? Any idea how can we solve this?

Thanks in advance.
Greetings,
Thibaut De Winter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Folks,

Just wanted to remind everyone the best action if you are experiencing this issue. Please visit NVIDIA.com/drivers to download and install the 378.49 driver. We posted this January 24, 2017.

If you are still seeing this problem, please send me a DM and we will capture your repo details.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there have been some problems with a few buggy nvidia drivers lately, you could try updating to the latest or try an older driver to find one that works. there are also some threads where the issue is caused by the lumetri color fx, like this

Render error - GPU Render Error Unable to process frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link, very interesting to read! It might be a similar problem.
Going to test some solutions mentioned in the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem multiple times and it can be very frustrating.

Basically, you have to isolate what's causing the issue. For me, sometimes it is Red Giant Universe plugins. Othertimes it was trying to render a non-standard size 6k sequence to a non-standard size 1080p or 4k size sequence.

Your best bet is to isolate the time using that error message, and set in and out markers, and begin tweaking and playing with everything you can to find out what's causing the file to not render. There are so many different ways the project could be bugging up.

Try turning off plugins, deleting clips, getting rid of adjustment layers, fades, clearing cache, everything you can until it starts to render, and then bring everything back one by one. Please update when you find out what was causing the render error.

Edit: I see you're saying the point of error seems to change. Sometimes I've found that after trying to render the full sequence multiple times, it would finally get through the first error, but then progress to a second point. Do the error times progress along the timeline? And if you delete previews and cache, restart Premiere, does the error time revert back to the first time? You can also try rendering out the sequence using Media Encoder and selecting the CPU as the render engine. Also, sometimes I find it helpful to "Render and Replace" dynamically linked clips (via right-clicking them and selecting that option). Makes render and work times faster at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi spnsir,

First of all thanks for the answer!

I'm going to try to isolate the problem.

The error times indeed progress along the timeline.

I tried moving the preview and cache to an other SSD-drive, that didn't work.

Deleting the scratch and preview chance also didn't help.

If I render the sequence with Media Encoder on 'Software Only'-mode, it takes about 3,5 hours to render a 3 minute project (mostly 6K and 8K RED clips).

When CUDA is turned on it takes about 25 minutes, but i get these annoying GPU error fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no solution unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep us posted! Hope you can isolate the cause. If you make a version of the edit with no plugins does it export? You can try making a new project and importing the relevant sequence via Media Browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got in touch with a Adobe engineer. Hopefully they can solve this problem.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. These days the first thing I do is delete the media cache, the media cache files and the peak files. If that fails, do the same again and reboot. If that fails, I then find the likely culprit clip and try exporting it on its own.  Sometimes I'll have to bounce clips that have a lot effects and re-import into the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Thibaut!

My name is Peter and I work for NVIDIA. I am very interested in your issue. Can you please help me to replicate the issue?

BTW - if you remove the RSMB plugin , does everything work?

NVIDIA Driver version:

Windows OS version:

Adobe PPro version:

Repro Steps: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank for replying on this topic, below you can find all the information.

NVIDIA Driver version: 376.33

Windows OS version: Windows 10 PRO

Adobe PPro version: 2017.0.1 v11.0  (11.0.1 6 Build 6)

If I remove the RSMB plugin the problem is temporary fixed for the current project. Unfortunately our client specificly wants the fast-forward blur RSMB effect, so we can't remove it in the final product.

However in an other project removing RSMB it isn't the solution.
There I had to use a morph cut (interview).

Feel free to let me know what I can do to make your investigation easier.

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the Environment details.

Would you be able to provide the repo steps? We need to obtain a internal repo case, this is where we can install our debugging tools to pin point the root cause. 

BTW, is your RSMB plugin from RE:Vision Effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This response may not help, but, I thought I would mention it anyway. On another thread with a different problem, the solution was to apply the effect to an " adjustment layer", and not to the clip itself. In that case, the problem was solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pkirst wrote:

NVIDIA Driver version:

Windows OS version:

Adobe PPro version:

Repro Steps:

I can reproduce this pretty easily as well.  The specs:

Driver: 376.33

Windows: Win 10 Pro 64-bit, fully patched and updated

PPro: 2017.0.2

GPU: 2 Titan X (Pascal) cards

1.  Have any sequence with OEM accelerated effects including dissolves, scales, etc.

2.  Try to export (in my case: h.264 mp4 file)

3.  Export either fails by just sitting at 97% requiring you to Cancel, or errors out with GPU Render Error.

4.  If the latter, preview window does dark for video (audio still plays).

This started a driver revision or two ago.  I can't remember exactly when.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

Thanks a bunch for your machine info and repo steps. Can you help me with being very specific on step #1.

Would you be able to provide a project or sequence that I can take in-house?

Are you able to reproduce this 100% of the time? Say out of 5 attempts this shows up 5 times.

thanks!

peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter -

pkirst wrote:

Hi Jason,

Thanks a bunch for your machine info and repo steps. Can you help me with being very specific on step #1.

Are you able to reproduce this 100% of the time? Say out of 5 attempts this shows up 5 times.

I've been thinking about that very thing since I posted my response.  Let me work on something small enough such that it's easy to transfer, and I'll re-post when I succeed in that.

I can reproduce a failure 100% of the time.  Whether I get the "GPU Error" seems to be somewhat random.  But 100% of my exports do fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pkirst wrote:

I have a 17+GB ZIP file that I can upload somewhere.  Ping me via PM or what have you and we can go from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth: I've provided Peter from NVidia with a link to a Pr project file (and associated video/audio clips) that I can reproduce the problem with 100% of the time.  My gut tells me this is a Pascal (10x0-series) code thing, but I could be mistaken.  In any event, hopefully what I've provided him helps NVidia figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jason and Peter, thank you for your efforts in getting to the bottom of this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quick update - i got i've downloaded jason's package. we will have a look internally here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the exact same problem. it was very frustrating, i tried switch effects on and off, render just parts, export to different formats, nothing seemes to help and the error is on a different point every time.  it took me many hours of costly time to re-build the project back into 2015.3 of premiere to be able to export...

rendering in the timeline and then playback is fine, only with the final export i get the error at random points. i always put effects on an adjustment layer so (as suggested earlier) moving effects there / off the video files certainly isn't the solution.

it looks like something has changed in Lumetri in 2017 version, i did not use any particular third party plugins. my video driver is the latest Nvidia. I really like some new bits of 2017, but if it's this unreliable, i cannot use it. (i'm on windows 10, geforce GTX970M)

adobe error.PNG

it would be great if this is solved.

david

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Please try the latest NVIDIA drivers. www.nvidia.com/Drivers

If this does not solve the problem, shoot me a PM and we can discuss offline.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi!

thanks for your message. i'm using the latest drivers.

i'll get back in touch later next week, i don't have the troubled project file with me.

thanks,

david

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deeeeeeeee wrote:

thanks for your message. i'm using the latest drivers.

Please note that NVidia dropped a new driver as of Monday this week.  When I updated my system with it on Monday, I could no longer reproduce this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great news! i'll check when i get back next week and keep fingers crossed...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines