• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to: Enable CUDA GPU Support for "Unsupported Cards" in CS6 (same process as in CS5+) :) for MAC

New Here ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I previously was involved in some discussion regarding GPU acceleration with CUDA in Premier Pro CS5 using an 'Unsupported card' with my Macbook Pro... I would like to show you this still works and will be here to show the process for anyone, and will post a video of the whole thing as a step-by-step probably tomorrow (its quite late where i am just now) but I'll give you a quick run through just now... Proof at bottom of page...

Ps. This only applies to Nvidia card Macs.. I have no ATI card mac to try this out as OpenCL etc but i would imagine it would be a similar process...

Step 1... Install Cuda drivers for your Mac (im using 4.2.7) here   CUDA DRIVERS FOR MAC ARCHIVE

Step 2... Install GfxCardStatus and force your graphics (if using a laptop) to discrete card only   gfxCardStatus

Step 3... Open Terminal... and run GpuSniffer... path as follows for original default installation directory, copy and paste then hit enter or change as required

/Applications/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6.app/Contents/GPUSniffer.app/Contents/MacOS/GPUSniffer 

This should give you an output as follows, while it may differ this is my output...

--- OpenGL Info ---

2012-05-02 01:00:28.642 GPUSniffer[6661:2403] invalid drawable

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-7.18.11

GLSL Version: 1.20

Monitors: 2

Monitor 0 properties -

Size: (0, 0, 1920, 1080)

Max texture size: 8192

Supports non-power of two: 1

Shaders 444: 1

Shaders 422: 1

Shaders 420: 1

2012-05-02 01:00:28.666 GPUSniffer[6661:2403] invalid drawable

Monitor 1 properties -

Size: (0, -1200, 1920, 1200)

Max texture size: 8192

Supports non-power of two: 1

Shaders 444: 1

Shaders 422: 1

Shaders 420: 1

--- GPU Computation Info ---

Found 2 devices supporting GPU computation.

CUDA Device 0 -

Name: GeForce GT 330M

Capability: 1.2

Driver: 4.02

Total Video Memory: 511MB

OpenCL Device 1 -

Name: GeForce GT 330M

Capability: 1.1

Driver: 1

Total Video Memory: 512MB

Not chosen because it did not match the named list of cards

Step 4... Using the name of your card from the above output, i have it underlined, in my case a GeForce GT 330M, copy this exact name as we will now add it to the list of supported cards...

Step 5... Using terminal still, again assuming default install directories, copy and paste then hit enter on the following...

sudo nano /Applications/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6.app/Contents/cuda_supported_cards.txt

You will then be asked for your computer password, type it and hit enter, it will not be shown as you type FYI... You will then see the default supported cards, add your card by pasting the name you have as in Step 4, then use ctrl+x to escape, type Y to save and hit enter a couple of times to get out...

You should now be able to run Premier Pro CS6 using the CUDA GPU option you can select in Renderer as you start a new project!!

Any questions i will try to answer them as soon as possible, and as i said i'll screen capture and record a video tutorial as i know that would be of help to some of you out there.. Some proof, here is a pic...

PS. It is a full 1080 pic so it is quite large...

Screen-Shot-2012-05-02-at-01.17.47.jpg

Message was edited by: StuCS5 - Changed Font Size

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. Easy to follow, and worked fine. Performed this on a MacbookPro6,1 (May 2010 MBP 17").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi great! any way to enable after effect ray traced 3d? i have the same laptop with mountain lion, i modified the after effect card list and activated the gpu but when i try to activate the ray traced 3d the text disappear! any suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked fine for me at first, but I just updated Premiere, and now not only is GPU acceleration not working, pasting the card name ( in my case an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX) does not seem to take.  Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OOPS!  I didn't notice your suggestion to "hit enter a few times to get out".  When I redid everything and did that, instead of just closing my terminal window after I hit "Y" to save it, it did work.  Thanks very much for your complete and should-be-idiot-proof instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very usefull! it worked perfectly on premiere cs6 on my macbook pro 2.8ghz with geforce gt 330m, Any suggestion for enabling ray traced 3d also in after effect? I inserted the  geforce gt 330m on the after effect card list, but when i enable ray traced 3d the text in the comp disappear!

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2013 Mar 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recall reading a while ago that only Quadro could enable the 3D? However, I'm not sure if that's still true. These things change/update so quickly you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines