• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting a new graphics card

Participant ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are some inexpensive graphics cards to add to a new Windows tower computer system that will be good in 5 years in Premiere Pro, Illustrator, After Effects and any other CC program I may get into? I understand the need for 6+ gigs of GPU memory. We can ignore VR in this discussion.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, even though the GPU pricing is (much) more sane than it was a year ago, it is still somewhat more expensive than they originally should have been. And if you want to keep your GPU budget on the low side, I'd strongly recommend an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB based card as a starting point. I do not recommend any AMD Radeon GPUs for Premiere Pro as that program chokes on OpenCL 2.0 (which is the only GPGPU API supported by AMD for Windows systems, which officially do not support anything newer than OpenCL 2.0). Don't go with anything older or cheaper as in the case of an extremely low-budget "new" GPU the GPU may not have a hardware encoder or decoder at all, forcing everything on the CPU (or technically "software only") - while in the case of old GPUs, their support may already have been placed into "legacy" status, which means no new feature fixes and only critical security fixes are being made to newer drivers for those oldies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moved to the Video Hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines