Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Story Discontinued...

Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

I just saw that Sy has been discontinued and is going the way of OnLocation. It's a shame, but I'm not surprised. It seems Adobe wanted this one to die for a long time. I tried to use it several times, but the support and guidance was almost non-existent. It could have been a valuable part of the Adobe's so called creative process for video and related work. The fact it did not tie into other products isn't Story's fault...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just followed the instructions for submitting a feature provided by ​ProDesignTools above but had the same result as Screenway Media has reported. Anyone know of another way to get hold of the Adobe Story team directly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too used Story often. But then I always use OnLocation for location shoots. The scopes and note section is very helpful. I have an old Win 7 Laptop I take on shoots.

The various reports were a help, and just the ability to keep the script in with other production documents and be able to search by character or prop was a great perk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a good look for Adobe. Yes there are other screenwriting programs such as Finaldraft and Screenwriter, but Adobe missed a chance to integrate all facets of the creative process with Sy. Perhaps better marketing and more listening to from the people who actually use the program. Our feedback would have been essential to the success of the program. We could have helped Adobe improve on what they had with Sy, if they would have listened to our suggestions. Oh well, back to Screenwriter it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey... also... you mean to tell me Prelude has more users than Story?  I'm not buying it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well this is sad. I really enjoyed working in the Classic Story..and used it for every production we have done... really loved the scheduling component of it. I wasn't a huge fan of the new version, but as long as they kept the classic around, I was willing to wait. Wish they would re-think this or maybe go back to the original story and move forward with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too prefer Classic to the newer version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Our objective with Creative Cloud is to provide a connected set of tools that enable our customers to achieve creative workflows and not deliver a series of tools. Story is a tool with virtually no connection to other products in the family. As such it offered little value to overall creative workflows."

NO CONNECTION TO OTHER PRODUCTS? - I've used the integrated Story/script viewer inside of Premiere countless times while editing. I always thought it would have been great to also have a built-in storyboard generator with basic tools found in Illustrator or Photoshop to match parts of scripts too, but I guess that dream is gone. Maybe if Adobe could have spent more time listening to comments/suggestions on here and actually implementing new ideas...this "no connection to other products" wouldn't be the case?

LITTLE VALUE TO OVERALL CREATIVE WORKFLOWS? Are you kidding me? Script writing and pre-production is 1/3 of the entire video production workflow!! And arguably the most important.

Very disappointed with @Adobe on this one. Yes, the software could have used a few tweaks, but for the most part it was exactly what our company needed. Also, to just dump a program and then not give a solid recommendation as to where to go or offer a discount towards another service... just kind of stinks. Interesting timing though, just watched a few videos from other video professionals who've made the switch to Final Cut... maybe this is that nudge for me to do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is atrocious truly an evil thing, adobe story is one of those programs I just love I have written long winded long screenplays which I have enjoyed very much to write, and they are simply getting rid of adobe story. The program is so simple and really all we can do is bitch and moan because they have just decided to get rid of it. adobe cc is a god send with premiere, audition, after effects, and adobe story (which is my favorite program) I have been able to talk my filmmaking to the next level but they are just brushing adobe story under the rug as if its some sort of dog shit. I am incredibly skeptical of these points adobe brought up "Story is a tool with virtually no connection to other products in the family. As such it offered little value to overall creative workflows. It was also a solution that few Creative Cloud subscribers used." these facts are not because it was not a good program or because it wasn't seen as an essential tool it was because adobe never cared enough to advertise it or integrate it whatsoever at all I think if adobe consumers new of adobes story's existence they would absolutely use it but that just isn't the case. to conclude I am very very angry seething even and I am basically just reiterating what everyone else is saying if adobe thinks for a second more about the consumer they will rethink their idea about discontinuing this lovely lovely program. idk if they will ever read this crap but if they do I would enjoy it if you at least hold a vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm bummed it's going away as well. Like others, I will now have to pay for a new service or find a free one. It would be nice if they would just switch back to Classic and provide support, minimal if need be. Sad they're getting rid of it entirely. Here's to hoping it stays alive somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very disappointed that Adobe Story is going to be discontinued. It's my favorite screenwriting app and has been a joy of mine using it. Please reconsider... it can't be that much to maintain, can it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just finished porting over all our scripts from Celtx and into SY just before the new year. We changed our entire workflow around the SY integration into Premiere and we pay for a transcription service to help log all of our footage so I can pull up a scene in SY and see that exact spot in the footage! This is such a super powerful integration that i imagine really failed because Adobe's speech analysis was not great. However, using third party speech analysis and just importing the Srt I can find every take of an actor saying whatever lines are in the scene via SY. SO POWERFUL Why would you scrap this whole product!? Just integrate/buy a company that is doing speech analysis right and promote the hell of of this! I am pretty devastated to see this go. The thought of editing the old way is completely dis-hearting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was invited on a private message to join the conversation. While I understand your frustration, and I am very sorry you are loosing a program that you seem to deeply appreciate, I don't have a lot to add to this if not that I am really really sorry. You are surely all informed of the reasons why Story is being discontinued and I am happy to see some of you are finding replacements. While I am very sure Adobe is trying to give its best to the customers, they surely can't make everybody happy. Other tools disappeared before, it is a bit the cruel law of marketing, I might agree or disagree and be equally right, but at times it just s*cks.

In the message I received I was asked to put some words here and the idea was that the staff at Adobe would turn to the thread. I assure you that they are following your comments, your disappointment and all that follows. It's really just like that, sometimes investments need to go in other directions. While we ACPs are always happy to support you, we can't always do a lot about it, nor can developers at Adobe.

I suppose they are never happy when they see faithful users turn to competitors to fill the gap, and would surely do their best to keep everything alive. As much as I can, I try to interact with other users and if invited to a conversation I show up. I asked experts to do some workshops about Story, and I agree it was a great tool even if I did not use it.

More than being sorry I can't do but I see you find new solutions too and my opinion is that whatever helps other users is welcome. If Adobe is discontinuing the program, it is still good that the forum is used in a constructive way, sharing experiences on alternative tools. Very sorry folks, at times it really does not go as we hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called this when I peeked at the newly launched version and saw the gaping holes. Knew she was sinking.

Completely disheartened. Loved it being a part of the CC suite and LOVED how it was always in the cloud and I could hop on any machine anywhere with my credentials and start writing. I worry about finding this in other solutions.

Used it daily and wondering what I am going to do with all of my projects on there, ugh.

Also saddened that I am no longer willing to try a new upstart based on jumping all in with this experience and will have to go with one of the industry standards even though I've never been a fan.

Does anyone know if the original developers are retaining the code and willing to develop separately... or sell it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also love Adobe Story and have several screenplays in development using it - what a pain, if only they had developed it gradually - rather then never developing it at all -  it would have really caught on.. I never bothered with any of the metataging etc, I just used it as a Screenwriting software but liked the interface and almost 'typewriter' chunky writing  experience it offers. Another example of the screenwriter being overlooked in the production process I guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines