• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to change speed of a SELECTED PORTION of a track /in multitrack? in waveform?

Enthusiast ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thaat's my question. There's an adorable default effect which will stretch the audio, but only to slowit down. So will it be necessary. for me to chop up my clip and extract the section I want to speed up a little bit without changing pitch (like I can do in Audacity using the "tempo" filter). And then open it in multi track to get the global stretch thing and the properties thing.... Whewww. ?? And then put that bit back into the clip I took it from???  It's like three WORDS in a talking track. If there's no alternative I'll wait and put that. track into audacity and use the "tempo" filter on my. selection. Surely a cool app like Audition willlet me do it? Or a plugin?

TOPICS
Feature requests , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

You appear to be trying to make this too complicated! Double-click on the clip or track and open it in Waveform view. Highlight the words you want to alter and then use Effects>Time and Pitch>Stretch and Pitch. Here you can speed them up, slow them down either with or without pitch alterations. Play about with it until it sounds the way you want and then go back to Multitrack and there it will be - just the way you did it. At some stage you will be asked to save the changes to the file you did t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You appear to be trying to make this too complicated! Double-click on the clip or track and open it in Waveform view. Highlight the words you want to alter and then use Effects>Time and Pitch>Stretch and Pitch. Here you can speed them up, slow them down either with or without pitch alterations. Play about with it until it sounds the way you want and then go back to Multitrack and there it will be - just the way you did it. At some stage you will be asked to save the changes to the file you did this to, so if you are going to do this, make sure it's a copy you are working on rather than the original - otherwise you'll lose the unaltered version. In an ideal world, you should only be editing copies anyway, of course...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that it's possible to do this directly in Multitrack, but I think it's slightly more complicated, as you have to split out the range of the few words, enable stretching on the clip and then you can drag it using the stretch handle to either be longer or shorter - without altering the pitch. The trouble with this is that you then have to shift everything else after the clip back in time, either to get rid of the silence you just introduced, or make room for a stretched version. I think that the Waveform version is better, personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thank you thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some amibuity in your answer.   You say "Highlight the words you want to alter".   Where do it do that as I could not find this option to be done.    Please post any video demonstrating the steps.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no ambiguity, otherwise others would have commented last year sometime - you're just misunderstanding. 'Hightlight the words' means use the mouse to swipe over the part of the waveform relating to the words, just as you would to make any other selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your clarification on that point. I will check that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,
I tried dropping the markers (start and end) and then tried to apply slowdown and fade options.  It worked.
Had I responded to this question, I would have mentioned applying markers, first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't mention them because they are not necessary. As far as I'm concerned, that's a good reason for not mentioning them, especially as the OP wanted a simple solution, not one with additional unnecessary steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What you're describing is exceedingly complicated compared to what I'm trying to do. I simply want to grab the edge of a clip and stretch it to change the tempo to have it match the clip above it. Very simple. I know I've done it before, but I can't remember what settings needed to be in place in order for that to become an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines