• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC 2019 requiring testing server for PHP pages

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Dreamweaver CC 2018 (Win7 64 bit), a PHP page could be viewed in live view, though it would not parse any actual PHP in the page other than file includes. Since I was using it mostly to include files (which worked) and simply preview CSS changes, that was no problem. I was never forced to set up a testing server to use it.

In CC 2019, suddenly that ability to use live mode demands a testing server, and that server must be running both Apache and mySQL to render pages, even if they have no code in them, and no database whatsoever. Just by virtue of being name .php, it won't allow me to even choose that view (it ignores clicks). If I set up a testing server (local XAMPP), it's a convoluted process of editing the vhosts file, editing the Windows HOSTS file to point to the URL and opening/running XAMPP with both the webserver and mySQL running. If I go through that for each site, I'm graciously allowed to view that text only page in live mode.

I've reached out to support, who's first reaction was to request a remote session (erm, no) to my system. Denied that and had them request several more times, upon which I asked for the issue to be escalated. They stopped responding and I got a "this issue will be closed in a few days" email after.

Explained if I set up a  new site definition and create a simple page named test.php with only words in it, I can't preview in live mode. The same site and file opened in CC 2018 works fine. The tech said he tried it and it works for him, with the first attempt asking via popup if he wants to define a testing server. If he says no, another popup asking about using local files instead. I get no such popups, in either version. I get a bar across the top of the page window asking about the testing server, and can only choose to do so, or "X" it to close. That's it, and nothing works.

My question, finally, is am I alone with this issue? If anyone is willing to test, just create a new site in CC 2019, and in it a plain page with nothing other than a little text. Don't set up a testing server, and see what happens when you open the .php file. Do you get popups? Does it allow you to view in live mode?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Foolishly, I didn't check on a different system. On my laptop, also using Windows 7 64 bit, the first time I try live view on a PHP file there's a popup about testing server, and a second one to ask if I want to use a local file instead. Live view then works. This has to be something with my desktop PC, and not necessarily DW CC 2019. If I figure out what that something is, I'll post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Restore Preferences.

Unusual behavior in Dreamweaver? Try restoring preferences.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Genius. That fixed it, can't thank you enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines