• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working solution to Corrupted Site Prefs

Contributor ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... I struggled for months with a baffling bug regarding the "Related Files" panel in Dreamweaver. With help from respondants & a random inspiration from an unrelated post I finally found the solution. The thread (found here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/Dreamweaver/Incorrect-Related-Files-Showing/m-p/10617592#M54753 ) has an incorrect & innefective solution marked as correct. I've now had my attempt to post the actual solution deleted twice as "spam"

Here is the text of that post containing the actual solution:

I'm gonna protest the marking of the correct answer here. The automated Process to reset the preferences shown in the linked article did not work. That process did not resolve this issue.

The linked article also gives the wrong path to both the Site Prefs files and the Preferences files and makes no mention of deleting them maually or the fact that there will likely be more than one. It also fails to mention that the .Library folder is hidden by default which could be confusing to some & leaves them no clue what to do if it is not effective.

The actual solution was as follows:

1.) Set your finder to show hidden files: https://setapp.com/how-to/show-hidden-files-on-mac

2.) Navigate to: user/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/ (.Library is a hidden directory)

3.) There may be multiple data folders here with DW version numbers for names such as 18.0 or 19.0

4.) Copy or move all of these folders to your desktop in case you need any of it later.

5.) Delete or move all of the numbered directories out of the "Common" directory or identify the specific offending directory/file & move or delete it.

The actual file you want to look at is:

user/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/[VersionNumber]/Sites/Site Prefs

This file contains the configuration data for all of your Dreamweaver sites.

It can be opened & inspected in a text editor if needed.

6.) Restart

7.) Reconfigure your Dreamweaver site(s) to generate a new "Site Prefs" file

8.) Have a look if you want to see the newly generated Site Prefs file or check its contents.

9.) Test Dreamweaver behavior to see if the problem is resolved.

Having done the automated process many times, with no luck I had to find the offending Site Pref file manually (amongst many), by reading through them looking for references to the the bad location that was causing the problem. I then had to manually trash the whole folder (19.0 in this case) containing the Site Prefs file & re-index all my sites from scratch to stop the problem from reoccurring.

I looked through the newly regenerated file thoroughly to make sure the info was correct. Since the bad file had a mix of good and bad data I wanted to be sure the problem was not persisting anywhere in the doc even though things seemed ok in Dreamweaver.

The answer marked as correct here provides an unrelated statement about network & cloud drives based on some sort of missunderstanding then links to an article describing a process that did not work & gives bad, misleading info. I appreciate the help & resetting the prefs is obviously a valid suggestion but that answer will not solve this problem.

If this happened on my system it will likely happen on others as well. It could be due to migration from one mac or another, the presence of multiple Dreamweaver versions on the same machine, issues with Adobe cloud or bugs in Dreamweaver itself or something else... all common issues.

It would be better to mark this detailed walk-though as the actual correct answer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to mark an original post as a correct answer.   Sorry.

Insofar as your remarks about the help article on restoring preferences, you  didn't read it thoroughly.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Reset preferences for Mac OS

Some of the procedures below require accessing your user library folder. In Mac OS 10.7 and later, this folder is hidden. For instructions on accessing your user library, see Access hidden user library files.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm well aware that a separate post can not be marked as the correct answer for a totally different post. I was calling attention to the fact that my solution had been deleted from the thread twice. I posted it here for the admins where I thought it would not be deleted.

I did read the article thoroughly and was already familiar with this process & had (as I said in the thread) tried it many times before posting the issue.

That article gives the WRONG LOCATION for the files that were causing the trouble & it does not describe the process that actually fixed the problem.

I don't see what good it does for some ACPs to continue being rude to me & deleting my attempts to post the working solution. I thanked everyone repeatedly, was polite, patient & tried & tried to explain the actual issue no matter how many times people insisted the problem was not what I thought it was and continued to suggest unrelated issues. In the end I was correct & it was a separate post, by a different user, outside the thread that lead me to the proper file location & a solution that would actually work.  The issue is fixed, my own answer is now marked as the correct solution. It's over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody here has been rude to you.  If your post was rejected for spam, that didn't come from me.  Adobe staff are running the queue now.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My first interst was in solving the issue. My second interest was in making sure that the final, correct solution was shown for the benefit of any future users struggle with the same problem. The full, more comprehensive,  step-by-step wall-through is still not present in the thread but my last comment there is close enough. The spam issue may simply be because of the external link.

You might want to check again on the part about rudeness. Or don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines