• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing DNG files. How to match smart previews to original raw files ?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, in one of my lightroom catalog, I am missing all the original dng files (not sure what happened ?). 

All my photos had been edited in Lightroom Classic, spent days on them and I do not want  to redo everything. I have about 5000 files in this catalog.

Good news, I sill have the smart previews and the original raw files.

Is there a way I can re-import the original raw files and associate them with the smart previews in the catalog so I do not have to re-edit them all over again?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

You may get a "get out of jail" card with a little effort- only taking some 'time'- if lucky!

If your catalog referenced the DNG versions of your photos, you could -

1) Use the (free-standing) Adobe DNG Converter program to create new DNGs from the original raw camera files.

*Do NOT 'Import'  by [Copy as DNG]

2) Place these DNGs in exactly the same location that Lightroom thinks they should be (as shown in the Lr Folder panel).

The DNGs will also need the same Filenames as referenced in the Cata

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Yes it should be possible. If the originals are proprietary raw files you may wish to use the stand alone DNG converter. Keep the original file naming format. Then use separate source and destination folders. Move the DNG’s from the destination folder into your original folder. The message under the histogram should then change from smart preview to original photo & smart preview.

You will probably get a metadata conflict but simply select all and click the metadata overlay to update by overwr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may get a "get out of jail" card with a little effort- only taking some 'time'- if lucky!

If your catalog referenced the DNG versions of your photos, you could -

1) Use the (free-standing) Adobe DNG Converter program to create new DNGs from the original raw camera files.

*Do NOT 'Import'  by [Copy as DNG]

2) Place these DNGs in exactly the same location that Lightroom thinks they should be (as shown in the Lr Folder panel).

The DNGs will also need the same Filenames as referenced in the Catalog. Maintaining the same Folder structure will be your major hurdle.

Your catalog will be back to where it was- DNGs referenced.

Recovering from the Smart Previews would be an absolute last resort, as they would require a new catalog Import with all edits lost. As would creating JPGs from the Catalog Previews (by available plugins)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks @WobertC, it worked!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it should be possible. If the originals are proprietary raw files you may wish to use the stand alone DNG converter. Keep the original file naming format. Then use separate source and destination folders. Move the DNG’s from the destination folder into your original folder. The message under the histogram should then change from smart preview to original photo & smart preview.

You will probably get a metadata conflict but simply select all and click the metadata overlay to update by overwriting with the catalog settings – see image below. All your slider values stored in the catalog should then be preserved. I suggest testing it to begin with, perhaps using a folder with a small batch of photos.

MetConflict.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A big thank you @99jon, it worked and thank you for adding the part regarding metada overlay. I really appreciate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines