• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Preview BSOD in Windows 10

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, since about two updates ago (not 100% sure on time), when I build smart previews, Lightroom Classic will BSOD about 75% of the time. The stopcode is always different. I've only noticed it more significantly recently because I've been changing my catalog around (some deleting, some moving, etc) and then (re)building Smart Previews. I've upgraded Nvidia drivers (last time just yesterday) and I've disabled GPU usage and it still continues. memtest run from a USB drive comes back 100% ok.  Still happens. System info is below.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Crossing my fingers, I'm stuck at this point - cheers!

===

System Info

===

Lightroom Classic version: 8.2.1 [ 1206193 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition

Version: 10.0.17763

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3.6 GHz

Built-in memory: 65459.4 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 65459.4 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 8521.9 MB (13.0%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 8983.5 MB

GDI objects count: 967

USER objects count: 2494

Process handles count: 2207

Memory cache size: 11210.5MB

Internal Camera Raw version: 11.2.1 [ 159 ]

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 5143MB / 32729MB (15%)

Camera Raw real memory: 5148MB / 65459MB (7%)

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 3440x1440

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (25.21.14.2531)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC

Library Path: D:\photo\lr_catalogs\catalog_all\catalog_all.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\noahk\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) AdobeStock

2) Facebook

3) Flickr

4) LogiOptions

5) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Message was edited by: Mod to remove unneeded text.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blue Screen of Death is always due to hardware malfunction or corrupted/bad/out-of-date drivers. So the easiest thing is to re-install all of your drivers (video, motherboard, and any else you might have). If it consistently happens while generating smart previews, this sounds like it could be the CPU overheating due to the (partial) failure of the cooling system in your PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As above you have hardware problems. Could be something simple like the system is overheating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can post some of the stop codes I can give you an idea of what's happening with the system/OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies, folks. I was hoping there was some magic setting (or combination of settings and Windows bits) dealing with Smart Previews that I had been missing that was known to cause issues. It *ONLY* happens when building those.

I've been running some basic hardware monitoring stuff and everything seems ok. I'm going to run some more in depth stuff this weekend when I have time, just to be sure. I suspect, though, it might be Windows 10 needing a clean install - this PC has been due for a bit now. I'm going to redo things step by step - Windows install, do initial critical updates, install LR, try and build previews, and then go from there piece by piece with other drivers and software.

If I come across anything incredibly interesting, I'll follow up, but this is likely a pure back-to-basics kind of thing.

Cheers and thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Building smart preview might be taxing the CPU to the point it is overheating. Check all the fans in your system, especially the one on the CPU.

Is this a desktop or notebook?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So you all got me thinking in the right direction.

I was running hwmonitor to watch fan speeds, voltage, cpu temp, etc. Running it without LR to get a baseline and I see a clock speed number that seemed odd on the CPU. Which made me think to check the BIOS. I've got an ASUS board that allows you to do some pretty extreme overclocking, which I don't do, but I've had ASUS boards that have "magically" changed these settings in the past.

I went in and did a "Load Optimized Defaults". BAM. I just built Smart Previews for 40 subdirectories and 2500+ photos. No issues - fans didn't even break a sweat. Processor hit 100% for most of it.

So thanks for setting my mind on the right path!!!

Cheers again, and seriously thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines