• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessibility check: what is the "Table Header" asked for?

Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When making Word templates, I use the table design tools and make tables with header rows etc. passing the accessibility check in Word. 

When exported to PDF, I get this check result:

microsoft_table_header.jpg

The TD and TH check passed, but failed on "Headers". What headers are these? On the upper table, I added a visible header but find no way to connect it to the table... 

According to the Microsoft support, everything is correct in Word. So what can be done to get this check passed??

I tried to change the proporties for the second table in Adobe Acrobat, thus some of this information would be the Table Header, but still it doesn't pass the Table Header check...

microsoft_table_header2.jpg

Ulrika_G_0-1632734669399.png

What's the consequence on accessibility if I skip the Header check? Just as the Summary is skipped per default...??

Hope for helpful competence out here!

Best regards,
Ulrika

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

One more note,

Check to ensure you've updated both your Acrobat and MS Office software. Both companies have released updates and bug fixes since mid-September, and the new versions correct some of the massive accessibility problems from both companies.

Acrobat's releases are listed here: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Microsoft's are listed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/current-channel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ulrika

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described the table header is failing in the accessibility check of the document.

Are you using the Adobe Acrobat DC version 21.07.20091 and experiencing this issue? If yes, the issue is already reported to our engineering team and they are working on it to find the fix.

We will share the update as soon as we will hear any thing from them.

Thanks for your time and patience on this.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

Yes - that's the version I use!

Do I understand you right, that Table Header referred to are the actual headers in the table? (Those tagged TH)

So, one of the checkpoints (TH and TD in the report) checks whether TH and TD are children of TR.

And the checkpoint Table Header checks that the headers do have a content? Row and/or column headers, depending on the structure of the table? 

Thank you so much for helping me out!

Best regards,
Ulrika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amal. 

This is not a correct answer.

The bug is in PDF Maker that does not tag tables correctly, therefore making them completely inaccessible and in violation of national civil rights laws around the world.

The correct answer from Adobe would be:

"Yes, we understand the problem and will correct PDF Maker's programming as soon as possible. We are sorry for making this error which affects 1/3 of the world's population that uses assistive technology, and another 1/3 that must create accessible PDF documents for those with disabilities."

Quoting a friend of mine, this bug must be fixed immediately, if not sooner. <grin>

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ulrika_G, Hi.

When making Word templates, I use the table design tools and make tables with header rows etc. passing the accessibility check in Word...

On the upper table, I added a visible header but find no way to connect it to the table... 

By @Ulrika_G

In a Word table, the Table Headers are usually the first row of the table. They are a part of the table, not something that is added or connected to the table. So when you say "I added a visible header" and can't "find a way to connect it," I'm wondering if the tables are correctly constructed, regardless of what Word's accessibility checker says (it often misses accessibility items).

Generally, if a table is correctly made in Word, it automatically outputs correctly with the headers to the PDF and you do not get errors in Acrobat's accessibility checker.

Here's how to check in Word:

1. Select the table.
  2. In the top Table Design tab, make sure that Header Row is checked. You can also check the First Column is you want Row Headers on the table.
    In Word: Designating the first row of a tables as its column headers.In Word: Designating the first row of a tables as its column headers. 
     There's nothing to connect to the table because the first row of the table is now designated as the header row.

Can you verify if this is how you made your table in Word?

Thanks,

—Bevi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bevi,

Thanks for your answer. Yes, the table is correctly made in Word.

The reason I made an extra header was just to test - as the accessibility marked something lacking. I couldn't understand why two checkpoints in the accessibility check focused on the same table header and only one of them passed. But @Amal. s answer above did give me the answer there actually is an issue with that second checkpoint, which they are investigating. 
Many thanks for your input!

Best regards,

Ulrika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ulrika

Sorry to keep you waiting.

Please chek out the solution and the workaroind shared in the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/table-header-fails-in-accessibility-checker.html and see if that works for you.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again!

Thanks for your reply. The solution stated is to make table headers. But I already did, thus I still don't understand this.

I made another test document with two tables, to test. See enclosed files in Word and PDF.

The upper one has content in all header cells. The other one lacks content header in the first column's top cell, which is natural as this table has a first column with headers. All cells have TH tags.

But still, the accessibility check fails on both. So I still have problems in understanding why I should need a work-around.

What could be more "proper table headers"??

The workaround is not an acceptable solution - I suppose that's a step which will affect only my own Acrobat installation. The documents I work with are templates for my clients - and I could hardly tell them to make a workaround for every computer...

Hope for your help again to sort this out 😉

Best regards,
Ulrika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..The other one lacks content header in the first column's top cell, which is natural as this table has a first column with headers. By @Ulrika_G

Leaving the 1st (left-most) column header  blank is a violation of accessibility standards and, therefore, will always be flagged by all accessibility checkers.

Every column must have a valid header.

Traditionally, that 1st column was left blank but no longer. Put something for the column header, even something generic like "description" or "item."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bevi,

Alright, I understand.

But still, as I wrote above: the check fails for both tables.

Thus this is not a solution to pass the check anyway!

Still confused 🙂

//Ulrika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bev,

I've been fighting with Word and Acrobat all day on this very issue, on a document template that has always passed accessibility checks in the past and now does not.  Thinking it had been corrupted, I recreated a set of the tables from scratch and followed all access best practices in Word, and it is simply not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sara_VL and @Ulrika_G ,

Recap of what has been covered:

1. Format your Word document and table correctly. (See above.)

2. Don't use Adobe's PDF Maker to export the PDF. It is severely broken and makes an inaccessible PDF table. The error was mis-programmed into PDF Maker about 2-3 years ago and has gotten worse with the latest release from Adobe in Fall 2021.

Instead, use Microsoft's PDF export utility built into Word (see directions below). It tags tables correctly and you'll pass the accessibility checkers. (And it's FREE!)

Here are the errors you're getting from your PDFs made with Adobe's PDF Maker plug-in:

Stupid Adobe PDF Maker errors.Stupid Adobe PDF Maker errors.

These errors make the PDF inaccessible and non-compliant with the PDF/UA-1 specification, which Adobe's engineers write and chair.

Use this method to export a more compliant PDF from MS Office:

1. Ditch Adobe PDF Maker entirely.

2. File / Save As (NOT Save As Adobe PDF...that invokes PDF Maker again, GAH, no no no !!!).

3. Select PDF from the Type drop-down menu. And Select More options just below it.
     Choose Microsoft's built-in export utility.Choose Microsoft's built-in export utility.

4. In Options, set these parameters:

— Optimize for Standard

— Select Options button

— Create bookmarks using Headings

— Check: Document Properties

— Check: Document structure tags for acessbility

— Check: Optimize for image quality

UNcheck: Bitmap text when fonts may not be embedded (bitmapped fonts are a violation of accessibility standards)
Click OK/Save.

Accessibility settings with MS export utility.Accessibility settings with MS export utility.

I've attached 2 PDFs and their matching Word.docx files: One set uses Adobe's PDF Maker as of today's versions of software, the other uses Microsoft's built-in PDF export utility.

Hope this helps save your deadlines!

—Bevi Chagnon

IAAP ADS, and member of the ISO committees for PDF and PDF/UA standards (along with Adobe's engineers)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more note,

Check to ensure you've updated both your Acrobat and MS Office software. Both companies have released updates and bug fixes since mid-September, and the new versions correct some of the massive accessibility problems from both companies.

Acrobat's releases are listed here: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Microsoft's are listed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/current-channel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you som much, @Bevi Chagnon - PubCom.com . I will follow your advice and recommend my customer to do the same. Thanks for your effort. And @Sara_VL , I share your feeling of frustration 😡😠. The last days I have felt it in a Word issue... Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't tell for sure from your screen shots, but if you expand your <TR> and see a <P> tag  full of PathPathPath, then the workaround below should help. 

Here is a super dumb way past this bug:

In Word, do NOT use File >Save As PDF. Instead,

Go to File > Save As > [choose PDF from the file type droplist] > press Save.

No more PathPathPath!

MikeCraghead_0-1643908258802.png

It's objectively silly that File > Save As PDF should give you different results than choosing the file type manually. It doesn't create an accessibility nightmare like printing to PDF does, but those PathPathPath errors can really add up! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines