• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat crashes when searching text

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the last couple days I've had a problem where Acrobat keeps crashing when I try to search text in a PDF. Every time I search, the program immediately crashes and closes. I've restarted my computer and uninstalled/reinstalled the program several times, but this keeps happening. I am working from a Mac and my system is completely up to date. I've never had this problem searching before, and this is functionality I have to have. What else can I do to fix it?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

I faced that problem too. I fixed it easily by repairing the installation;

This feature is available in the help button.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Thank you for this tip. I also had the same issue, and after repairing the installation the problem is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Repairing or reinstalling did nothing for me. I solved it by disabling the Quick Search option from the Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sparkle, 

We are sorry for the trouble. Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs. Please try to search in a different PDF file and check. If its a file specific issue please share the file with us for testing. Please upload the file to the document cloud (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/) generate the link and share the link with us.

What is the version of the application you are using? To check the version of the application please use the link (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html). Ensure that you have the latest version 20.006.20034 installed. Go to Help  > Check for Updates.

You may also try the following steps:

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks 

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I can confirm that I am using version 20.006.20034. Also, if it helps, I am on macOS Catalina 10.15.3.

Interestingly, it appears that the issue is now justs happening with one of the files I am using (please see the link below). When the issue first arose, it was with all PDFs, so it would appear that one of the reinstalls partially fixed the issue.

I am now finding with this particular file that it isn't every search I try, but only some. I tested by typing search terms that I know to be within this file, and most searches I try are now working. However, I am running across one that still instantly crashes the PDF in this file. When I type "co" (as in to search the word "corporate"), it crashes instantly. I have tried removing this file from my computer and re-downloading it, but am still having the same result. I'm not sure what would cause only certain searches to be problematic. 

Document Link:   https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/file/?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Asc%3AUS%3A24fb8082-a584-4c35-a195-517aee...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sparkle

Thanks for sharing the information and your observation around it. We are not able to download the file sent by you as it's either corrupted or not supported. Please try to recreate the PDF file from the source file and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've re-downloaded the PDF from its source and uploaded it again. Does this one work?

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/file/?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Asc%3AUS%3A5bf89da4-4aa8-472c-81dd-6e4a3a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sparkle

We are still not able to download the file as it's either corrupted or not supported.

Screenshot.png

Please try to recreate the PDF file and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the exact same problem.  As soon as I hit ctrl-f or click on the Find... option the search box opens for a split second and then Adobe Acrobat Pro DC crashes.  It happens on every pdf file, it's not limited to specific files.  I'm on Windows 10.  Clearly this is a fairly widespread problem that needs to be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, I'm currently on version 20.013.20074 which is the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rawdmon,

Sorry for the trouble.

As per the description above, the application crashing when trying to use the Find tool. We did try replicating it at our end and the feature works fine.

You have mentioned that the issue occurs with all the PDFs Could you please try creating a new test PDF in Acrobat and check if the issue still occurs.

Also, try the troubleshooting steps as suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-crashes-on-windows-os.html 

If the above steps do not help, please remove the application using the cleaner tool (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html) and reboot the machine once.

Then install the application from this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/download-install-acrobat-subscription.html 

If the issue still occurs, we may need the logs to further investigate the issue.

Let us know if the issue still occurs.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also had this issue on Windows 10 running the newest Adobe Reader available (20.013.20047).

I solved it by reinstalling Adobe Reader. Now the search is working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I faced that problem too. I fixed it easily by repairing the installation;

This feature is available in the help button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this tip. I also had the same issue, and after repairing the installation the problem is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing the exact same issue as well. I did try the 'repair Installation' workaround, which worked for a couple days but the problem has reocured. Now even the installation repair doesn't work. This problem happends with every single PDF file.Using version 21.005.20058.47888

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi it really helped to repauir the install from the programms menu 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repairing or reinstalling did nothing for me. I solved it by disabling the Quick Search option from the Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same issue here. Windiws 11, Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020, latest version - cold crash on "search". 

Could the Adobe representatives that do take our money but leave the problem seemingly untouched over ** years ** be so kind as to recommend a good freeware product that allows same PDF editing capabilities? After all I already bought a license so all I now need is the functionality, and too lazy to web search myself. That'd be swell, cheers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on macOS Sonoma 14.3.1. and my adobe keeps crashing on me and my work is not being saved. 

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 2.10.21 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

PLease collect the Crash/freeze logs https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html and share them via any cloud storage. Just upload the log file to the cloud and generate the link and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards
Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines