• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Not Allowing Longer File Names

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, when exporting an InDesign document to a PDF or going to rename an Acrobat PDF File I keep getting "the file name or path is too long" 

This has not been an issue in the past, as I have current file names longer than what I was trying to do. It seems it won't let me go over 25 characters 

Is this new? Am I missing some setting? Why am I just experiencing this in the past two weeks? 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

@Kayla23844191kdnc wrote:

"When I go to combine files and save them as a new PDF I get 'The file path is too long. Please specify a shorter file name or save to a location that has a shorter path.' "

@Test Screen Name is correct that it is the total length of the path. See this Microsoft help file for details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing that this issue is one of your operating system, not Acrobat itself. Are you saving to a network location (which may have a lengthy path involved?  The more you can tell us, the better chance we have of figuring it out.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kayla,

Thanks for reaching out.

Recently, when exporting an InDesign document to a PDF or going to rename an Acrobat PDF File I keep getting "the file name or path is too long" 

Are you getting this error with the files exported from Indesign only? How about opening a PDF file from within Acrobat? 

Also, have you started experiencing this issue recently after installing a new patch for applications or Windows?

Would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat/Reader you are using? To check the version, go to Help > about Acrobat and ensure you have the recent version 22.001.20169  installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once (you must save all the work before restarting)

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html 

This has not been an issue in the past, as I have current file names longer than what I was trying to do. It seems it won't let me go over 25 characters 

Can you share the exact error message, please? It might be 255, not 25 characters. 

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to combine files and save them as a new PDF I get "The file path is too long. Please specify a shorter file name or save to a location that has a shorter path." - I have not had a problem saving here in the past

When I go to InDesign and try to export I get "The file name you have entered is too long - try something shorter"

I am saving all my documents to a Microsoft Teams Group Folder with the following path (lots of folders for organization-took out actual name of path): C:\Users\xxxxx xxxxxx\teamxx namexx\xxxxx - xxxxxxxx (xxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx, xxxx)\xxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxx, xxxxxxx xxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

When I go to open current files with too long of a name I get an "There was an error opening this document. Access Denied" notification, if I shorten the file name it will open. 

However, this has never been a problem and I have the current version of Acrobat 

Is the path name too long? How long can a path name be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Path name limits aren't on the name only, but the total length. You need to look at the parent directory, which may have been renamed, made longer, or moved into another folder.

c:\This folder name\this too\and this very long folder name as well\plus this one long or\short\all add up to the limit of however many characters it is.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Kayla23844191kdnc wrote:

"When I go to combine files and save them as a new PDF I get 'The file path is too long. Please specify a shorter file name or save to a location that has a shorter path.' "

@Test Screen Name is correct that it is the total length of the path. See this Microsoft help file for details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines