• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat only Scanning First Page

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat had been working great until today.  I was scanning multipage documents no problem.  Now, out of the blue, acrobat will pull all of the pages through the scanner but only first page shows up scanned within acrobat.  I can add single pages to that original scan but I want to scan multi-page documents all at once again.  I uninstalled and re-installed my printer/scanner and still no luck.  I am going to try and uninstall and reinstall acrobat here shortly.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Hi,

This issue stands fixed now.

Please check for the updates.

This should work fine now with this release of Acrobat.

Thanks for the patience.

Regards,

Gaurav Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Hi All,

Thanks for your time and patience and for your cooperation on this.

As correctly mentioned by Gaurav, the fix is available with the latest update of Acrobat version 20.009.20065, please install the latest update from the help menu of the application>select check for updates, reboot application and try scanning.

For detailed information about the latest update, please see the Release notes.

Please let us know if you experience any issues.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! It would be nice to have an update of something.  My users are also scanning 1 page at a time until a fix is sent out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates Anand?

bp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.   Acrobat scans all pages, then freezes on the screen "Processing 1 of 1...Optimzing..."    I'm running Acrobat DC Acrobat 20.009.20063 under Windows 10.   Scanner is HP Officejet 6978.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working now with recent update, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem today  (Windows 10, Brother scanner).   Using the scanner's own software (as suggested by someone from Adobe in this thread) is not practicable as my Brother utility is far to clunky to scan multiple double-sided documents efficiently.

Any idea when this will be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This issue stands fixed now.

Please check for the updates.

This should work fine now with this release of Acrobat.

Thanks for the patience.

Regards,

Gaurav Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. All working now 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks for your time and patience and for your cooperation on this.

As correctly mentioned by Gaurav, the fix is available with the latest update of Acrobat version 20.009.20065, please install the latest update from the help menu of the application>select check for updates, reboot application and try scanning.

For detailed information about the latest update, please see the Release notes.

Please let us know if you experience any issues.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Pro 2020 version 2020.001.30005 - have checked for updates but says I have the most recent version.  Scanning multiple pages does not work.  Scans the first page then stops.  Although I did go through the process of uninstalling my printer / scanner / imaging device and reloading, this does not work.  We are aware that it is an adobe problem as I can use other software to scan multiple pages.  This is really a basic function of the software that needs to be fixed.  You say there is a fix for the older versions of the software - but the newest version still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sheralll0,

I spent 3 hours on the phone with Tech Support two weeks ago.  He dialed me back to the old working one but it does have it moments.  If you have time to spend you can call Adobe Tech support and they can dial you back but then I also had to remove all my HP software and download and try different drivers for them.  I had 3 options for a scanner when it was fixed - only one of the actually works for multiple sheets.  It still says "Unable to read some text" after every page. The guy said they know of the problem and are supposedly working on it.  Sorry I cannot be of more help.  Kinda crazy to pay for software that doesn't work.  If they do dial you back make sure automatice updates are turned off.

Rene'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed on my end!  Thanks, Guarev and team.

bp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Acrobat DC today.  I have Win10 and HP OfficeJet 9010.  Both have the most current updates as of today.  Adobe will only draw and scan 1 page from the autofeeder. Since the fix you are suggesting is there a way to have Adobe go back to that release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat 2017 and I have the same probem with scanning more than one page.  I have chatted online with Adobe support but they do not seem to be aware that this is a BUG that needs an Adobe fix.   From the previous posts in this conversation, it apprears that the bug is fixed by Optional Update 20.009.20065 but this is only for Acrobat DC 2020.

What about Acrobat 2017?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once a program has reached "EOL" (End of Life), it is no longer supported. I'm sorry but to resolve this issue you will need to update your application.

One alternative is to NOT scan via Acrobat. Rather, your scanner has it's own software and in fact, that's the software that Acrobat uses to do your scanning so the interface should look very similar.

As you scan your pages, have them show up in a logical, easily found location (Desktop?). I also suggest scanning as TIF documents. Then when you're done scanning that document, open Acrobat up, and select from this screenshot:

2020-11-17_09-10-54.png

Yes, this does take a few more seconds to create your documents but it works without having to buy a new copy of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks gary_sc.

I find it unacceptable that I only bought Adobe Acrobat 2017 about 18 months ago and it has now reached End of Life!!   If any other product - say a car for example - reached End of Life after only 18 months, I think the company concerned would find themselves with problems under Consumer Protection Legislation!

Thank you for your suggestion re scanning.  I do have another scanning program from HP, called HP Scan and Capture.   It works fine with scanning multi page documents so the problem is definitely with Adobe.

One query, why do you suggest scanning to TIF?  The HP Scan and Capture allows scanning to TIF or PDF.

Thanks again for your suggestions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI XerXes,

First off, my BAD. I was in error: 2017 is still being supported. I just read the info on that wrong. Here's the page with the information for your reference:

https://helpx.adobe.com/support/programs/adobe-support-policies-supported-product-versions.html

OK, TIF versus PDF versus jpg

There are basically two different kinds  of image format: lossy and non-lossy. Here, lossy pertains to how the image is compressed to decrease storage size (if at all) and is image data tossed out to achieve that decreased storage size. When you save a JPG image, you are offered to define the amount of compression (aka data tossing). If there is a high number, there is less data tossed, less compression, less image degredation and higher image storeage size. If you save it with a low number, there is more data tossed, greater compression, more image degredation, and smaller image size. 

What does this image degredation look like: Here's a quick sample. Note, I really pushed the compression a lot to show this as easily as I could. The one on tops is the original and the one on the bottom is with degredation, notice the little tiny dirty spots all around the letters. The more degredation, the worse it looks and the less likely the OCR will be of any value.

sample.png

[Let me add here that there is two ways to decrease an image's size: 1) some kind of compression or 2) decrease the size of the image (if you decrease the width of an image by 50%, you will decrease the storage size of the image by 75%. But a smaller image size can be too small to read at some point.)]

If you take a jpg image, make some alterations and save it (as a jpg). Then open that same image is opened, altered, and saved again (as a jpg), you are doing what's called jpging a jpg. Cumulative saving can cause considerable image degredation. If you takeA TIF image is lossless, no lost of data. A PDF is/can be lossy for images (not for text because those are vector after OCR-ing the document).

So, what I do to insure better OCR-ing is to provide the best possible content going into the OCR process to get the best out. In addition, I want the greatest resolution possible. So 300 ppi minimum, 600 ppi preferred.  Let me add that these will give you VERY LARGE FILES. A letter page at full size could easily be 30 MB. But once you convert that into a PDF and after OCRing you will have a page of about 40-100 kb depending on how much text is on the page. If there are images, they will increase the storage size.

Yeah, I know, a lot more information that you probably wanted but I feel I owe it to you after giving you wrong information. But wait, there's more! Here a blog I wrote for adobe on how to get a good scan:

http://photosbycoyne.com/Gary's_Help/Scanning/clean-scanning.html

This should have some information that you may find helpful. Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you gary_cc!!  That sure was a detailed explanation.  I think I get it because I can see the analogy with music reproduction;  our vinyl disks are lossless as all the music that enters the microphone gets recorded on the disc.  When we listen to CDs we are essentially listening to lossy music because the original music is digitally sampled ie not all the signal is taken and then saved to the CD.  So I assume that TIFF is like the vinyl disc and the jpeg or pdf is the CD!!

GOOD NEWS!   I managed to speak on the phone an Adobe technician in India who was very smart.  He deduced that my problem might be the kind of drivers that were being used by my Brother scanner.  It appeared that I was using WIA drivers so he suggested downloading TWAIN drivers from the Brother web site.  I did this and then switched to TWAIN in Acrobat and hey presto - it worked!!   I can now scan multiple pages with my Acrobat 2017!

This has been a most edifying experience for me.  Thank you gary_cc for all your advice and assistance and of course many thanks to my Indian Adobe technician!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a Brother MFC-L5850 and I am having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent three days chasing this monster and it is still not fixed and the support agent told me I just have to wait for a fix from the fix team.  My law firm is crippled with this situation.  I am using Adobe Pro 2017.  It worked fine up until the beginning of the week.  Today I reached my limit and wrote the Adobe CEO in San Jose, California a very nice four page letter.  I know he won't read it but possibly someone might.  Maybe if they get enough letters someone might notice. I have HP Pavilions, Adobe Pro 2017 and HP OfficeJet Pro 8710.  If I use the HP app I can scan multiple pages at a time.  But even using Microsoft Paint I only get one page at a time.  So I am wondering if this is not a bug introduced by a Windows 10 update.  It is unnerving to have the support agent tell me that I just have to live with the problem.  I tried to find the update 20.009.20063 and could not locate it.  I would appreciate any help in tracking it down. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally problem solved 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this problem returned across the board - or am I just lucky?  I have tried removing and reinstalling the scanner (Brother MFC-L2710dw), updateing Adobe pro DC, ppowering everything on and off.  None of those things seem to be the trick.  I was operating fine as recently as last week.  Thanks, Gar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. Would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 21.07.20099 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here - https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau... and see if that helps

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi garr25739395

I had exactly the same problem in November last year (see my previous posts above).  Apparently I was using WIA drivers for my Brother scanner so the Adobe tech suggested downloading TWAIN drivers from the Brother web site.  I did this and then switched to TWAIN in Acrobat and hey presto - it worked!!  

It is still working for me.  Maybe try this and see if it fixes your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same issue with Acrobat. Checked for updates and my software is up to date.  Using Adobe Acrobat 2020 (20.005.30334)  Only scans 1 page of multi-page document.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the guy said above - update to 2020.009.20065.  See if that works! It worked for me but I had to have Tech roll mine back.

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines