• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat pdf maker: The path of document being processed is too long.

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we want to save a Word or Excel document in PDF maker, we get the following message:

Acrobat pdf maker the path of document being processed is too long. Please save the file to a path shorter than 255 characters and retry

Please advise.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ls_rbls

I found the Credential Manager. Web Credentials had no entries. Under Windows Credentials, I had nothing in the first two categories beneath (Windows Credentials and Certificate-Based Credentials), however under Generic Credentials I had many entries. I removed these one by one until there was nothing left in the list. Then I tried to PDF a word document and had the same result as before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, 

Did the same error happened if you restarted the computer after clearing the Web Cresential caches.

I just helped  a Sharepoinr user the other day who was experiencing a similar issue and this method resovled the issue; this method resolved the issue for me with oneDrive.

However, did you get the same error "file to a path needa to be shorter than 255" or a different error like "Your credentials have expired" when using Microsoft Word?

Conversely, were you signed in to OneDrive when you tried to recreate the same scenario or completely offline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++ UPDATE !!

I must say again, that this issue is not related to Adobe Acrobat at all and there is no integration issue with the Acrobat PDFMaker COM Add-in that is shipped with Microsoft Word (in Office365).

The issue (depending on the point of view) is related exclusively between OneDrive and the Microsoft Windows operating system.

After much testing and researching patiently, I was able to find official Microsoft OneDrive guidance to resolve this issue.

It all points to how the OneDrive service syncs your account credentials accross all devices from Microsoft Windows; this applies to both of OneDrive's personal accounts and business.

Furthermore, although it is true that directory (or folder) pathnames do enforce a limitation in how many characters be use ( and that they also must be URL encoded), I tested  all available methods in how to convert a Microsoft Word file to a PDF from OneDrive folders to any desired folder locally in my computer successfully.

In the following link below see the sections that talk about syncing or resetting OneDrive:

NOTE: Clearing the cache also worked for me (in the OneDrive app, or also accessed online via web browser)

And in this other link see how to remove all credential on Microsoft Windows via the Credential Manager:

NOTE IN THE SLIDES BELOW THAT I AM USING A 32BIT VERSION OF ACROBAT ON A 64BIT VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 -- I REALLY WANTED TO PUSH THE ENVELOPE

So, below are a set of 7 different slides that I've prepared for you to illustrate doing all sorts of ridiculous things based on all troubleshooting attempts that the users have exhausted. For example, I created in OneDrive's Documents folder up to six subfolders; two of them with extremely long folder names.

In addition, I also used the files that @rosemarystone  shared with us and copied up to 72  of those Microsoft Word documents to my OneDrive without the need to make the filename shorter, nor copying to the desktop and renaming such files before saving them back to the OneDrive cloud space with.

So here we go:

FIRST SLIDE - Note in the More Details pane how long the folder path is. And also note that I kept the original file names even with the  brackets illegal characters as part of the file names (to include excessive blank spaces, dashes and parenthesis)

ONEDRIVE2.png

SECOND SLIDE - USING THE "SAVE AS" OR "DOWNLOAD AS PDF" METHODS, BOTH WORKED GREAT VIA ONEDRIVE THROUGH THE WEB BROWSER 

ONEDRIVE5.png

THIRD SLIDE - IT SHOWS THAT ALSO FROM ADOBE ACROBAT PROGRAM YOU CAN ACCESS THE SAME ONDEDRIVE FOLDERS AND USE THE CREATE PDF TOOL

ONEDRIVE4.png

FOURTH SLIDE - ILLUSTRATES OPENING THE SAMEONEDRIVE FOLDER FROM MICROSOFT WORD365.

NOTE THAT IN ORDER TO REALLY HIT THE DESIRED ONEDRIVE FOLDER YOU MUST USE "BROWSE" FOR YOUR FILE SEARCH

ONEDRIVE6.png

FIFTH SLIDE - THIS POP UP DIALOGUE WINDOW WILL EXECUTE BEFORE YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE ACROBAT PDFMAKER COM ADD-IN  DUE TO HAVING CLEARED ALL MY ACCOUNTS CREDENTIALS ON WINDOWS  AND RE-SETTING MY SECURITY CREDENTIALS FOR WEB SERVICES.

THIS IS NORMAL 

JUST FILL IN YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION AND TICK THE CHECKBOX "LOG ME IN AUTOMATICALLY"

ONEDRIVE7.png

LAST SLIDE - CLICK ON "CREATE PDF" FOLLOWED BY CLICKING ON YES

ONEDRIVE8.png

And there you have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use OneDrive for work and am having this issue. I have tried everyone's suggestions below but still no luck.

Anything that I can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try to save in your desktop and convert to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines