• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Runs Slow/Not-Responding

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company recent upgraded from Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 to Adobe Acrobat DC. We had to upgrade due to licensing and support ending for that product.

After upgrading Acrobat we have noticed when using Adobe ie: Opening/scrolling/etc the program runs slower. A normal PDF document will have about 40 Pages. Another thing we noticed is when you print from Microsoft Excel to Adobe PDF, we notice Excel will lock up and not respond. After about 30sh seconds, you will be able to see the Adobe PDF printer dialog box. After you save the document, Excel will then respond. The normal amount of pages we print from Excel is 6 Excel sheets.

What I was wondering is what I can do to improve the performance of Adobe PDF documents when you have them open and scrolling through/zoom in or out/etc. Along with what I can do to improve the performance when someone prints from an Excel document to an PDF document.

Thank you for you Advice!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trav2016,

As per the issue description mentioned above, Acrobat DC is running slow also printing takes time when printing to Adobe PDF printer in excel, is that correct?

Could you try following steps:

1- Reboot the machine once if you haven't already and check.

2- Check if an update is available for Acrobat using "Check for updates" option under "Help" menu, reboot the machine after installing update and try again. You may also download updates from here: Adobe software and product updates

3- If that doesn't work, try resetting preferences for Acrobat using the steps given in this link: How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default. , reboot the machine after resetting preferences and check.

Also, let us know dot version of Acrobat and the operating system installed on the machine? You may refer to the steps given in this link on how to check the version: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know my response is a little late to the game, but I haven't found my solution suggested anywhere and thought I would share it, although it probably will affect a small number of people.

In my case Acrobat Pro would not access my menu items or scroll without the spinning beachball, sometimes lasting for more than 10 seconds. This was making the program unusable. After removing preference files to no affect, it occurred to me that my virus scanner (Intego VirusBarrier) was set to Real-Time scanning. Once I turned it off, the program was back up to speed. As I can designate VirusBarrier to skip certain folders or files I can still leave it on for downloads with turning it off and on. I don't know if other virus programs will cause the same issue, but it is something to consider if you use one that scans files as they are opened.

iMac OS X 10.14.1

Intego VirusBarrier 10.9.16

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eclecticscribe,

ThankYou for sharing your findings with us. It will surely help fellow users facing similar issue.

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam,

I think Adobe needs to work on re-writing some of its software. Especially the part that deals with the Anti-Virus. I just checked, our Windows 10 workstations that are experiencing this issue all run the same hardware, same OS, and same anti-virus. PLUS, the real-time protection is enabled (aka Advanced Active Protection).

On my Anti-Virus, I can set it to scan real-time, and any time a file-extension that I set is run.

I'm using VIPRE Endpoint Security.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trav2016,

Could you please use the following link to share your feedback to the product team: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi electricscribe

I too have Acrobat 2017 for Mac which worked great until I installed Mojave OS.

Now I have spinning beachball for so long that the product is unusable!

I too am using Intego VirusBarrier. When I turned off Real time Scanning my problems went away!

So now what do I do?

Am loathe to leave scanning off.

Regards

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open VirusBarrier and click on the Trusted Files tab, you can select specific applications, files, and even entire folders for VirusBarrier to ignore. For example, I download bank statements as pdfs directly from my bank's webpage to a folder called "Bank Statements." I've identified that folder as trusted and no longer have any issues with Acrobat when I open files from that folder. Of course, when you download a pdf you can send it to your download folder, where VirusBarrier will scan it, then move it to a folder that you told VirusBarrier to ignore.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Jared (aka electicscribe)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this is a very late reply, I do not see the dates these posts were created.

Windows 10 Dell laptop and Acrobat DC is extremely slow and the bar at the top turns white and says "Unresponsive" for a few seconds, then becomes responsive. It's painful because I use this app all day at work.

I also have a Mac and Acrobat is very slow there too, especially compared to the built in PDF viewer, Preview, from Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So have you resolved the problem on your MAC?  I too have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ScotW - again did you ever resolve this problem on your Mac - I cant find anything that I understand to fix this.

slow Acrobat problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We just had this problem and fixed it by clearing the recent documents. Selecte File>View all REcent Documents (second from the bottom)  Then "Clear All" is a link at the bottom of the panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines