• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat unable to open PDF file directly from zip file in Windows File Explorer

Explorer ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I have created a zip file with PDFs within it. When I browse into the zip file in Windows File Explorer and try and double click the PDF I get the error message "Windows cannot complete the extraction. The destination file could not be created". The reason I believe this to be an Adobe issue rather than a Microsoft issue is that every other file in the zip file opens just fine using this method. Here is a picture of the error message window.

Adobe PDF Zip Error.png

Thank you!

Chris B

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Hello Chris B,

We are sorry to hear this, as per the description, you are not able to open the PDF file from a zipped folder, Is that correct?

Please check for any pending updates of Acrobat from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after installing the updates and try opening the PDF file again.

You can also copy the PDF file from the Zip folder and paste it on your desktop and try opening the PDF file. Also, disable the preview in the Windows Explorer.

If you still experience any issue, plea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris B,

We are sorry to hear this, as per the description, you are not able to open the PDF file from a zipped folder, Is that correct?

Please check for any pending updates of Acrobat from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after installing the updates and try opening the PDF file again.

You can also copy the PDF file from the Zip folder and paste it on your desktop and try opening the PDF file. Also, disable the preview in the Windows Explorer.

If you still experience any issue, please refer and try the suggestions and solutions from the following Adobe article Can't open PDF

I have also shared few more links via private message, please check your email inbox and try the solutions.

If the issue persists, please share the following piece of information so that we can assist you in a better manner:

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have just as a problem as described above.

My system:

Windows 10 1809 (Build 17763.253)

Adobe Acrobat 2017

Adobe Acrobat is up to date (no updates available).

Unfortunately, extracting the file and then opening it is no solution. That works, of course. However, I get a lot of emails with ZIP files every day. If I save each ZIP file first and extract the files, it takes too long.

What else can I try? I thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Did you solve this problem?

Maybe someone else has an idea what I can still try?

Regards,

Dim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is exactly the problem I was having.

I created two simple MS Word files then zipped using the Explorer right click Send To>Compressed (zipped) folder. 

I confirmed that I can then open the .zip file and open the two Word files by double clicking - All ok 

I then converted both Word files to Adobe pdf (using Adobe Acrobat 2017) and then zipped the files in the same way.

When I opened the .zip file and then tried to open any one of the pdf file I received the 'Windows cannot completed the extraction' error message.  I closed and re-opened Windows explorer and found I could open any one of the pdf files, but on the second try to open a pdf file the extraction failed again.  This applied no matter which pdf file I tried to open.  If I closed and re-opened Windows explorer a second time I found I could again could open any one of the pdf files.  This result was repeatable several times.

After several searches I found this thread and the solution from AnandSri above.  The first thing I tried was to "disable the preview in the Windows Explorer."

This immediately solved my problem, and if I enable the preview again the problem returns.  As I said though this was only a problem with zipped pdf files.  Zipped Word files were unaffected by preview on or off.

Thanks AnandSri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same exact issue verbatim to Apt R1. Disabled the preview pane in file explorer and it fixed it. Issue still persists mid 2020..

Thanks AnandSri and Apt R1!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seems to persist, even in June 2022. The same error message when opening PDF from ZIP with Preview ON in File Explorer. The workaround (disable Preview - open PDF - enable Preview) gets quite tedious (even annoying) after all the years... And yes, I'd like to continue using the Preview window when using the File Explorer (one of the necessary functions when working with many files). Is there any prospect that this incompatibility might be solved in future?

All updated:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2022.001.20142 /64bit

Windows 10 Pro 19044.1766

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SLD25...some here. And it is getting me so mad...why do I have to turn off the preview to just open file ?!!!!!! It is MEGA ANNOYING!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed!!
Why can't this issue be fixed to allow you to extract files from zip with the "preview" selection marked?

I mean we can put a man on the moon, but we can't solve this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines