• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat X Pro (10 and lower) won't start on Windows 7 (64-bit)

New Here ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, does anyone know why Acrobat X Pro (10 and lower) won't start on Windows 7 (64-bit)? It just doesn't respond whether I try to open files with it or double-click to start the program. Re-installation and Repair doesn't help. I had the same issue with the previous versions of Acrobat on this computer. 

Thank you!

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Please try the solutions outlined in this document: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 117 Replies 117
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That patch is what fixed the problem for me. I put the link up in some other threads yesterday...I get lost sometimes around here.

Anyhoo, Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I found that when I tried to open version X Pro, the mouse would spin but nothing else happened.  I then went into the Master Collection CS6 folder in Start and right-clicked on Adobe Acrobat X Pro and went into Properties.  The 'Start in:' field was blank.  There was no path indicated for the application to launch from.  Went into the Control Panel>Programs and Features, and it shows that the app is installed.  Launched the Adobe Application Manager and ran updates to update to Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.  Now it launches just fine.  Did not have to uninstall the entire collection and spend hours re-installing it.  Hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing works for me - none of the fixes make a difference. I have to get this solved, as I'm losing hours of work time and cannot send Indesign files to print without Acrobat.

Part of CS6 suite (installed, not Cloud), installed way back in 2012 and everything worked fine till a week ago. Acrobat Pro X now returns a spinning wheel, then times out without starting; not a 30 day issue unless it's 30 days from some patch. Acrofix patch doesn't make a difference. Uninstall/reinstall made no difference. Deactivate and reactivate then reboot (only after a reboot) worked a couple or so times, but now makes no difference. The Properties start in box for the link was empty - typed in that to replace it but no difference. This is nuts - how do I fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything, too. Solved everything by reinstalling Acrobat 9.x. No problems, and Ver. 9 is really a better program, easier to use and understand. Only issue I do have is Adobe keeps wanting to update my Ver. 9.5.2. Of course it fails as I already have it. Adobe must be hiring from the public schools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I want to thank you very much for this patch. I had to combine some files for school and adobe reader x doesn't do that. So when I tried to launch Adobe Acrobat X Pro, I panicked due it not opening.

But the patch worked great! It opens flawlessly now!

Again thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue, Adobe Acrobat Pro X (as part of Master Collection CS6) wasn't working on my PC with Windows 7 x64.  When you went to launch Acrobat Pro, the mouse pointer would spin once and then nothing would open.

David's fix in post 88, worked a treat and it opened fine after the quick install.

Thanks David!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2013 Jun 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, thank you. The patch worked perfectly for me also. I had been tearing my hair out!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also came across this problem today, June 30, 2013, about a year late to the party.

Solution #3 in the document that David K. provides a link to above fixed my problem with launching Acrobat X Pro.

I'm so happy my wife found this discussion thread and sent me the link! Thanks, honey!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this also work for the eLearning Suite (6.1)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We got new computers so we deactivated eLearning Suite 6.1 and then reinstalled on the new laptops (64 bit)

Now Acrobat doesn't work. It launches, sits there for about 20 seconds and then closes. my pdf creaters attached to everything are also failing to work.

I have tried every solution on this post. Lots and lots. Have rebooted over and over uninstalled/reinstalled and it still isn't working. the patch looked like my last option. Didn't change anything.

I can't work!

I have deadlines!

HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathryn,

have you tried the Standard troubleshooting steps :

> Enable the hidden Admin Account on Windows 7 ( Ref :  http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-adminis trator-account-on-windows-vista/ )

> Disable all Non-Microsoft Startup Services. (Ref : http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-startup-items-servic es-windows.html )

> Disable all the Antivirus softwares like CA, Norton,Mc Afee etc. temporarily from the computer.

Reboot and try installing and check.

Did you encounter any errors during the install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem for over a year, despite hours spent trying to fix the non-starting Acrobat X Pro (and hours with Adobe tech taking over my computer). After every reboot, Acrobat does nothing (no error message, just does not start up). Uninstall, reinstall, nothing helps.

Solution on Win 7 64: start up Task Manager, select the Processes tab and find one or more instances of Acrobat running (if you tried to start Acrobat, more than if not). Highlight each and stop (ignoring warnings). Now Acrobat will start up normally, but with no preferences (you have to redo those each time) and works fine until another reboot.

Really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting. I've been unable to open .pdf files for the past few days on my Windows 8 laptop. Each time I try the document won't open and I'll eventually get an error, "Acrobat Failed to Connect to DDE Server". The only way I've been able to view pdf documents is via the Reader app (Not to be confused with Acrobat Reader Xi; I hate stupid Windows 8 and the retarded use of Apps).

Once I opened the Task Manager I found three associated processes running, two of Reader and one of Acrobat Reader Xi. I killed them all and was able to open and read a pdf in Acrobat the way I'm used to. Now, to check and see if this is what was preventing me from updating my other Adobe programs. Fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this issue but hadn't had time to address the issue (was opening text PDF's in Word and image PDF's in Illustrator or Photoshop for a workaround --eeash).

Kastendick's link to the patch worked for me.  THANK. GOD.

What an annoying month of Adobe Acrobat nonsense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Dave. (post 88) You saved my bacon or a lot of inconvenience at least. The CS6 patch worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called tech support re: this issue instead of trying any of the fixes listed here. The tech knew exactly what was going on. In my case I upgraded from CS5.5 to CS6. The upgrade confuses Acrobat. Here's how we fixed it:

Go to the control panel and uninstall Acrobat X Pro ONLY. Go the the start menu and there you will find the Abobe installer. Click install and when you get to the page that list the programs choose Acrobat X Pro ONLY.

Install and you are done.

It worked perfectly for me. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Knightlightning, when I go to do this uninstall procedure it gives me the choice whether I want to uninstall the "Suite Shared Configuration CS6" with the Acrobat X Pro ... do you recall if you had to check that as well? I assume that I'll also have to check the box that says "Remove Preferences" too, right? ... just to make sure.

I can't believe I STILL haven't been able to fix this piece of CRAP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not get those choices. Are you uninstalling from the control panel > add/remove programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I went to the control panel > add/remove programs ... and then the application manager opened and gave me those options. Anyway, I uninstalled without touching the "Suite Shared Configuration CS6", just in case ... and now I'll re-install it, but I don't get the "Acrobat Installer" anymore if I go to the start menu. I'll probably have to use the CD again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope it works for you. Let us know how you did...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe products is a nightmare. I had nothing but problems with earlier Acrobat and related Creative Suites. Someone recommended revouninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/) to cleanly uninstall CS suites. They offer a fully functional trial version for 30 days. As far as Adobe products are concerned revouninstaller is now part of my toolkit.

However, as far as the solution to the the problems in this thread is concerned it's decribed in the posts #65 and #42. At least that worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem start  on Monday on both my Windows desktop and laptop (both running Windows 7 64-bit), and it wasn't the 30-day issue (I had already gotten past that one a few months ago). I appear to have fixed it by uninstalling Acrobate X via the Programs and Features part of Control Panel. I then rebooted, launched the Adone Application Manager program, and at the bottom of the list of apps was an option for installing Acrobate XI (yes, a new version -- not X). I installed that, accepted the EULA, and life has been good for the last three hours. We'll see what tomorrow brings, though.... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as all of you (30 day trial error rubbish) which I solved following the instructions above 30 days ago...

Now Flash Pro is not working either - major problem!

And Acrobat Pro is just driving me nuts... the fix only works for 30 days and then you get the same problem... SO I have just done exactly the same thing and downloaded the latest version of the Adobe Application manager (6.2_all) and all that did is download a TRIAL version of Acrobat XI - which is a total waste of time!!

C'mon Adobe - this is the WORST customer service I have ever experienced!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evam, tried your (their) solution, appeared to work until "tools" was selected and then same old problem came back. Work offline mainly as have byte chewing mobile wireless so not sure if that has an affect??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C:\\ drive > Program Files (x86) > Common Files > Adobe > Adobe PCD > Cache > Cache.db

Deleting this fixed it!  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines