• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat X Pro (10 and lower) won't start on Windows 7 (64-bit)

New Here ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, does anyone know why Acrobat X Pro (10 and lower) won't start on Windows 7 (64-bit)? It just doesn't respond whether I try to open files with it or double-click to start the program. Re-installation and Repair doesn't help. I had the same issue with the previous versions of Acrobat on this computer. 

Thank you!

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Please try the solutions outlined in this document: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 117 Replies 117
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually worked on my system (win7 x64 cs6 web/design premium) for a while anyway... this is a problem just like the others have said, Adobe X Pro just quits - refuses to run. Delete the cache file and follow the steps outlined above does make it work again - but the problem reappears in fairly short order. 😞  This became an issue with me right at the 30 day post install.  The prior versions I had were uninstalled prior to installing the latest verson.

We really need a resolution to this issue, I depend on the software to do my job!

Just in case it's needed:

Available Physical Memory: 4194303 KB

Available Virtual Memory: 4038828 KB

BIOS Version: DELL   - 2

Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  <--- my default browser is NOT IE, it's Firefox !

Version: 9.00.8112.16421 (WIN7_IE9_RTM.110308-0330)

Creation Date: 2012/06/12

Creation Time: 3:26:41 PM

Default Mail:

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M  

Version: 8.17.12.6594

Check: Not Supported

Installed Acrobat: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Version: 10.1.3.23

Creation Date: 2012/04/04

Creation Time: 1:53:58 AM

Locale: English (United States)

Monitor:

Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Resolution: 1600 x 900 x 60

Bits per pixel: 32

OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

OS Name: Microsoft Windows Vista  <-- the OS is Win7 Professional not Vista

OS Version: 6.1.7601  Service Pack 1

Page File Space: 4194303 KB

Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7  GenuineIntel  ~2292  Mhz

System Name: DEXTERDOGDESIGN

Temporary Directory: C:\Users\Benny\AppData\Local\Temp\

Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time

Total Physical Memory: 4194303 KB

Total Virtual Memory: 4194176 KB

User Name: Benny

Windows Directory: C:\Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all the users who have faced a problem where Acrobat did not launch after 30 days of serializing with a suite serial number, please execute the following workaround:

1. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
  2. Launch a regular  CS6 product other than Acrobat or Flash Builder (for example: Photoshop, After Effects, Premier Pro, InDesign, Flash Professional, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.)
  3. Click on Help->Deactivate .
  4. Deactivate the application. Quit application.
  5. Launch a regular  CS6 product other than Acrobat or Flash Builder (for example: Photoshop, After Effects, Premier Pro, InDesign, Flash Professional, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.)
  6. Accept Eula.
  7. Register trial by signing in. Let the app launch.
  8. Quit and relaunch the app. Wait for UI to come.
  9. Click on License This Software button on the UI.
  10. Click on Sign in .
  11. Serial number screen will come
  12. Enter the serial number in the serial number screen and click Next.
  13. Quit app and relaunch the app while connected on the internet .

After this if you launch Acrobat it will launch and run forever without trouble. In case you still face a problem , try relaunching the other CS6 app once more and then launch Acrobat.

Feel free to send me a private message if you need any more help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was experiencing the same problem as others.  I followed Amrita's instructions in message #42 exactly and now Acrobat is working fine, thankfully!  It was very easy, took about 2 minutes, and didn't require uninstalling or re-installing anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is still no proper fix for this other than a backwards workaround of deactiving some other program which works fine, then re-activating to fix another separate program? Sorry but it seems odd that we should be required to mess with something else that works fine to fix this. In my opinion there should be a critical update showing up in my Adobe Updater already that fixes this without my intervention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If past Adobe behaviour is any predictor... If Adobe does fix it, the solution will probably be that you need to buy CS7 to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The deactivate other product method and then re-activate worked on one of my computers but another one it says that deactivate failed and to try again.  Rebooted, tried again still not working.

I have serveral users that I recently upgraded to CS6 both Mac and Windows and I certainly don't want to have to visit all machines to fix this issue.  I'm not even sure what I've paid to Adobe over the years but just this CS6 upgrade alone I have serveral thousand dollars invested.  Even had to buy a new Mac because CS6 wouldn't run on one of my older units (yes I could have spent hours upgrading the OS but easier and in the long run probably wiser to just buy a new Mac that will be the latest OS and much faster than the old unit) - Now I run into this issue of Acrobat not working out of the blue and we use the program every single day in the graphics and marketing department.

I was hoping the forum would be a quick fix as Adobe Support isn't availabe except during business day time hours but seem no solid easy fix is to be had - so much for fixing this while my users are gone.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was exactly 30 days from my install.

This deactivate then reactivate worked for me.

Thanks Amrita!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, 30 days it is and the "fix" will likely last for 30 days as well, a fix is needed to rectify the "trial period" error with the purchased product.

Really reluctant to start fidling myself!

Later, renamed the .db file and re-activated, worked fine until "tools" was selected and then the problem came back! Anyone with similar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just summarizing here

My Setup: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, CS 5.5 and CS 6 Design Standard on a MSI GT783R

Issue: Acrobat Pro X launches once then disappears. After that the hour glass goes but no Acrobat Pro X. Also no .pdf files would launch either. Oddly you could access pdf files in Illustrator or Photoshop. Also you could combine your browser stuff into a .pdf file too but then if you tried to look at it using Acrobat Pro X...nada...squat (either by accessing the file direct or trying to launch Acrobat Pro X). I kept CS 5.5 Design Standard on my laptop and then upgraded the CS 6 Design Standard when I got it. I have to agree for me that it was 35 days before this happened not 30. As far as the rest of the Design Standard Suite goes no problem. Just the Acrobat Pro X like everyone else here.

Oh for the log, I also tried rolling back to a known restore point and updating to the latest Acrobat Pro X and dupicated the same problem with Acrobat Pro X/.pdfs not opening. I also could see Acrobat briefly appear in the task manager too. I also thought it was UAC from Windows, but alas, it wasnt. I just thought I would add this experience incase anyone else is thinking of those two approaches They didnt work for me.

Potential Solutions: Looks like there are 3 approaches working. I cant tell which is the official solution, but it appears that at least two of the three seem stable. Time will tell if these approaches need to be done again in 30 days.

S1: Refer to Entry 20. by David Kastendick. If you have the CS suite I would skip the cleaner tool as it tells you to not use this cleaner unless Acrobat Pro X is standalone. Just move to the install after the deinstall.

S2: This is the approach I tried and is outlined in Entry 42: by Amrita Chakrabarti. So far it works fine and no issues. I opened about 10 pdfs randomly and launched Acrobat Pro X 5 times (I just verified again now while typing this).

S3: Refer to Entry 36 by Evadobe1 There seem to be mixed results on this one .It runs the gambit from working for some and not for others or temporary for some.

There has also been a mix of the S2 and S3 together as an approach as well. Its in this thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/4492856#4492856  Entry 46 by mattlok1010 (also the "correct" under entry 1 if you dont want to scroll down to Entry 46).

Here are some other threads on the same issue:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4543084#4543084

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4493641#4493641

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4511201#4511201

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4492856#4492856

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1021632

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/trial--1-launch.html

Hope you all find the solution that works for you. I hope we get an official answer or patch on which is the correct solution instead of having to redo these steps 30 days from now. Good Luck all. If S2 fails I will report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SixRavenD, I should tell you that after doing what the Adobe tech told me that day, my problem did seem to be solved for a little bit, but then it came back to square one. I was about to write it on the forum, but I saw Solution #2 (Amrita's) ... and that has been the real solution to this frustrating issue in my case! ... I noticed that this solution was tagged as the "correct" one, and so far it is for me ... so I wouldn't really try the "cache.db" thing anymore. I think we're now going to have to wait until July 20 to see if Amrita's solution passes the 30-day-mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Design and Web Premium CS6 edition installed 30 days ago with a regular license but today i've experienced the same problem... Acrobat won't start!

I have read several messages... cleaners, reinstalling, fixes, etc.

This is how i have simply solved my issue (as somebody already suggested):

- open Photoshop

- deactivate

- reboot pc

- open photoshop and reactivated license

- that's all

Now Acrobat X Pro, and other program of CS6, work.

Probably there's a little bug.

Bye all and good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amrita, do you have a better fix?  After fixing the first time, another 30 days has passed.  Same problem came up.  I've fixed again,  presuming that  i'll be fixing this in 30 days again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2012 Aug 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will an update be coming? I am too lazy to go through the process just so I can face the same problem again a month from now. For now I'll just use the Adobe reader, which suits my need just fine. This is terribely disappointing from such a big company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am happy! thanks for the fix! ?8->

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem already three times since I installed CS6 in May this year.

Today again PDF would not open. Date is 2 Sep 2012, time 12.50 pm. This is now happening for the third time since installation. I read somewhere that it may have something to do with the 30 days period for trials.

As I tried before to fix it by uninstall and install freshly from DVD, which is time consuming, this time I went with the fix for Deactivating and then activating and licencing.

If they are correct, this will come again as an issue around 2 Oct 2012.

I made an appointment in my calendar to follow it up around that day.

I also checked previous installation files. Surprise surprise! The last installation of the two previous attempts to fix that problem in the past was: 2 Aug at 11.39am.

So this fix also worked. Even without rebooting in between. I just deactivated Acrobat from Photoshop's Deactivate command. Closed Photoshop and clicked Acrobat shortcut which brought it on as a trial. Followed the path for Licensing, and here we go: its working as new. And I bet any money that in 30 days it will stop working. Any takers? I'll accept even those from Adobe direct employees. As you have not done anything about it for last three months (that's when I read about this issue first time on Adobe Forum).

I had some update this morning for Adobe CS6 and this problem actually happened after that update. So it is still not fixed. I am quite sure you are not going to do much more for next thirty days either. Is ignoring such issues really OK to people who spent over two grand on upgrades for what you called Master Collection?

I buy your licenced software since Acrobat 4, which is 10 years now, and: Adobe, you disappoint me with every year more and more.

Very, very, very disappointed user. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerzdna & Alberberliu (and others who reach this page),

For what it's worth, I went through the procedure described by Amrita in message #42 in June and have not had any problems since then (more than 60 days later).  It's a simple procedure, and Jerzdna, it's much easier than uninstalling & reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.

1. I have checked again and what I did this morning, almost according to #52 (which was instead of reinstalling as I did not have time to play the same "Adobe games" from previous months) looks exactly as the workaround from #42. So fingers crossed, after 2nd October you will hear from me either way. I'd say it will be a dance "I told you so", but, according to my wife, I am not always right, so: Adobe! Good luck. I may be coming back with that famous Brenda Lee's first song to reach #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 (in 1959). 
  2. My point at the end of my previous comment was more towards the fact that I would expect the designers of the software (for more than $2000 to upgrade) would have enough time during three months period to implement proper fix into next software update rather than expecting the users to play with workarounds, which are acceptable only really as short term solutions. Unless I am from different planet and expect too much for my money.

Jerzdna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what if you only have pro 10 installed from the suite and cannot open it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amrita... Thank you so much.

Lee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all well and good and did work to fix the issue on my Win 7 64 laptop but now I have a stand alone version of Acrobat X on a Win 2003 server that will not start. So this "fix" is no good for me. Now what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2012 Oct 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just been hit by this farce!

Is there still no official Adobe line, fix, for this?

I purchased CS6 Suite in the belief it was the cutting edge, and they sold me something that stops working after 30 days, if it wasn't happening to me I wouldn't have believed it.

I now find they KNEW it was a problem months before selling it to me, surely that puts them up the legal creek without a paddle?

I'm nearvous about deactivating / uninstalling parts of the Suite, if it stops the other bits working over the next 10 days I'm further up the creek without a paddle.

Think I'll go back to the far cheaper, but reliable, Serif products in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if Amrita Chakrabarti's solution of deactivating and then reactivating ones's CS6 Suite (shown in Reply #42) will work with a volume license for CS6 (ie have you actually had it work with a volume license serial number)?

I purchased my CS6 Master Collection Suite upgrade from a authorized Adobe dealer and received a volume license serial number. The volume license is registered to my personal MyAdobe ID but does not show up there in the list of registered programs Instead it shows up in the Adobe Voulme Licensing Website (LWS) at licensing.adobe.com under my personal MyAdobe ID.

I initially installed the CS6 Master Suite from CD in mid July. The other day when I went to use Adobe Acrobat X Pro, I noticed it was not working just like everyone else has been reporting in this forum (I had not used it for a long time so I do not know the exact day it stopped working). Trying to open a pdf file or clicking on the acrobat shortcut would not start Acrobat (ie nothing happened). I scanned the web on how to resolve the issue and found a forum enty that I should deactivate and then reactivate CS6, but it did not give explicit details.

So I deactivated my CS6 in Photoshop. When I went back into Photoshop, I could not figure out how to reactivated it. So I initiated a chat session with an Adobe customer representative. I told them I had a volume license. The first rep did not know how to reactivate my CS6 so I got transferred to a second rep. The second rep told me the only way to reactivate my CS6 with the volume license was to uninstall the entire CS6 and reinstall all of CS6. It took me 5 hours to uninstall, reinstall using CD, and apply all the CS6 updates (did not update Acrobat X just in case the update was causing Acrobat to stop working).

So I think I am back to square one with the fresh reinstall, where my Acrobat X Pro will stop working in 30 days. This is why I want to know if Amrita Chakrabarti's solution will actually reactivate CS6 using a volume licensing serial number without having to reinstall it.

Any help or advice (especially from someone at Adobe) would be greatly appreciated. You may contact me by personal email if required or if more information is needed.

Thanks to everyone in advnace for their help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had a fruitful connect session and the issue was resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this information Amrita.  Working through this step by step process of deactivating the Creative Suite software, then reactivating worked perfectly and I have Acrobat X (CS6 Design/Web Premium) back up and running again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the solutions outlined in this document: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines