• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat X Pro: Really slow opening files

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the last upgrade (I got it last week a couple of days after I installed the program), it takes forever sometimes to open the simplest files. Up to 10 seconds to open a one-page file. More if the file is larger. This is really annoying, as I am opening files all the time. It doesn't help if I close the program after each file is printed, or leave it open and just closing the file. Anybody else experiencing this who knows what's happening?

Version 10.1.0.534

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

All my problems disappeared after the last update (10.1.1). All files open quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently this isn't a priority for Adobe.  But I noticed that recently it is taking FOREVER for me to open PDF documents that are on a network share.  I am using Reader 10.1.1 and it is unusable.  I went into Edit -> Preferences and disabled everything under Security and unchecked "Enable Protected Mode at startup" and it will open the first document fairly quickly now, but if I want to open 5 or 6 documents from the share, forget it.  This is not an upgrade and Adobe, who IMHO does a really good job with software, really screwed the pooch on this one.  I would like to downgrade to 10.0 but I can't seem to find it so I will end up downgrading all the way to Reader 9.4.  I'm on Win7 x64 Ultimate, 4GB ram, Intel quad core at 3.0 GHz. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original issue posted by lenahanson was fixed in Acrobat/Reader 10.1.1 and many people who responded to this thread also found the 10.1.1 update to fix their issues.  However, from reading the latest responses there is still a few file opening performance issues/bugs. 

So that Adobe can isolate the current/remaining  issues people using Acrobat X 10.1.1 or Reader 10.1.1 are still having, can we have some fresh responses with additional details?

Are you still experiencing performance issues?  Is your version of Adobe Acrobat X or Reader X  (at least 10.1.1?  If the answer to both questions is yes it would be helpful if you respond including as much the following information as you can:

• Operating system (Windows 7 64 bit SP 1, XP SP 3 etc)
  • Additional computer details - Processor speed and how much memory (RAM)
  • Are you opening PDFs in web browser, from the local file system, or from a - network shared drive
  • If you are opening PDFs in a web browser, which browser and version (Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 6, Chrome etc) and what version. 
  • Browser Plugins:  Listing other browser plugins could be helpful.
  • Do you have any plugins installed in Acrobat such as "PitStop"?
  • Is the issue with the first PDF you open, or second/third/fourth etc?
  • How are you opening the files (double click from Windows Explorer, link in a web page, from the Recent Files in Acrobat etc)
  • Is Acrobat/Reader already opened/running before opening the files or is opening the file launching the application?
  • Is Reader or Acrobat the default application to view PDFs? Please list the version # by choosing "About Adobe Acrobat/Reader" from the Help menu.
  • Do you have Reader only, Acrobat only, or both Reader and Acrobat installed on your system?
  • If you have both Reader and Acrobat installed, which versions of both Acrobat and Reader are installed?  (Acrobat Pro 9 and Reader X, or Acrobat Pro X and Reader X etc including the specific versions of all Acrobat/Reader on the system like 10.1.1).
  • Settings in "Security Enhanced" from Acrobat/Reader Preferences - Is "Enable Enhanced Security" checked? 
  • Settings in "Security Enhanced" from Acrobat/Reader Preferences - Protected View settings?
  • If you are comfortable doing it: Does disabling the video driver on your system so the default VGA graphics are used fix the issue (one of the posters stated that this fixed their performance issues)?
  • Is there anything you know running automatically when PDFs are opened such as the Share pane in Acrobat?
  • Anything else you find relevant (anti-virus running, enhanced network security environment etc)

Adobe definitely wants to address these issues and the more current relevant information we can provide the easier it will be to determine what problems remain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it takes over 10 seconds to display a small 80kb dynamic PDF in 32 bit IE 8 on Win7 using adobe acrobat pro 10.1.1

several static PDFs in the same app render with sub-second speed in all browsers

the dynamic PDF renders with sub-second speed in all browsers except 32 bit IE using acrobat pro 10.1.1

the 64 bit IE 8 browser renders quickly

the desktop I am usig to reproduce the issue is Win 7 pro 64 bit with 6gb ram and dual Xeon 2.66

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's our environment:

• Windows 7, x86 SP1
  • Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM
  • We render PDFs from our networked file servers. At times, from IE8, but main issues are from our file servers
  • Issue is most noticeable with first/initial launch of PDFs. Subsequent launches are quicker.
  • We typically double-click from Windows Explorer, open UNC links, or open attachments from Outlook 2003.
  • We have Adobe Acrobat X Pro, 10.1.1. With 10.0.0, we had no issues with networked PDF files
  • Users typically multi-select a number of PDFs, then open from Windows Explorer - but that operation is very slow now.
  • We have a mixed Adobe Reader X/Acrobat X installation
  • By Default, Enable Enhanced Security and Protected View is enabled (Acrobat)
  • Our workstations and servers are on the same Trusted Zones.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the same app locally and without SSL and was unable to reproduce the issue. Wonder if the issue has something to do with SSL + IE 8 32 bit + Adobe 10.1.1

also here are the HTML headers:

The headers of the dynamig report that is loading slowly over HTTPS look like this when loaded over HTTP

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1

Content-Type: application/pdf

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:18:56 GMT

%PDF-1.4

The headers of the static PDFs that we are not having issues with look as follows when loaded over HTTP

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1

Expires: -1

Cache-Control: private, no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate

Content-Type: application/pdf

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:25:19 GMT

%PDF-1.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Protected View was added in 10.1  Have you tried turning it off in 10.1.1?

When you say "Our workstations and servers are all on the same Trusted Zones" you are saying they have been explicitely listed as "Priveleged Locations" in Acrobat (or have checked the "Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones" in Acrobat and have locations listed in Windows)?

I would recomend testing with Protected View "Off", not that Protected view should be slow but you could find out if that is the cause you log a bug report: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform  The more details provide about your environment, the more Adobe has to work with.

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh,

We have checked the "Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones", which is a default setting. In our domain, all our devices are on the same zone. Assuming that setting works, we are not explicitly listing any servers or paths.

It's likely that sandboxing (Protected View) in 10.1 is buggy, since 10.1 also introduced support for Windows 7. We will experiment with disabling Protected View. Since we're in a controlled, secure environment, we may just disable that feature altogether. Here's an example of some application error events:

--------------

Faulting application name: Acrobat.exe, version: 10.1.1.33, time stamp: 0x4e64e9d5

Faulting module name: FileOpen.api_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d7803c8

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x1006a29b

Faulting process id: 0x13fc

Faulting application start time: 0x01ccaf9ae7b26ba4

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Faulting module path: FileOpen.api

Report Id: 28c88f24-1b8e-11e1-ba4a-000ffef77ded

-------

jmvillago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh, if what you say here:

“Adobe definitely wants to address these issues and the more current relevant information we can provide the easier it will be to determine what problems remain.”

Is true, then you would have joined this discussion as soon as you became aware of it. Adobe has clearly been aware of this issue as you state that it had worked to fix it in version 10.1.1. Instead, you allowed all of us to waste our time trying to work out what the heck was going on.

So, now that you're here in the forums, why not fix the privacy issue detailed over here http://forums.adobe.com/message/4089417

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh,

I was going through your list, and while doing so it appears that un-checking "Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones" under Preferences -> Security (Enhanced) fixes the problem in Acrobat X 10.1.1.

This same setting is checked in Acrobat X 10.0.3, but it is working fine.

Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issues people found related to opening files slowly started in 10.1 and most of it was fixed in 10.1.1, so your observation about 10.1.1 and unchecking "Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones" is helpful and interesting.  As for 10.0.3 I would expect it is OK, it was before the enhanced security which appears to be what these issues are related to. 

Does anyone else still finding their updated Acrobat/Reader 10.1.1 to be slow opening files have the same experience?  Does unchecking "Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones" fix the speed issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2012 Jan 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having problems with this josh_corey (unchecking win os = no help in ie8/chrome)

MY sysytem is IE 8 + Vista Bus o/s, downloading/opening PDFs through a browser was no problem prior to Adobe X update, now it's an excercise in adding grey hairs waiting for the damn thing to open pdfs, anything over 100k can take upwards of 30 mins.

I have had a 2.65mb file opening since 12.15 and it is now 14.00! (IE8)

Anyone advise on how to revert to a previous version that works, this is affecting clients too, I can't tell them to install prev version but I am losing the will to live here.

some posters suggested using Chrome, I tried that it is just as bad, HOWEVER Firefox 9.0.1 is an absolute JOY!!!!! pdf, click download Whhoooooosh! Done!

Does this testing help anyone?

Adobe screwed up I think.

McP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RobMcP, that sounds really painful.  Can you confirm that you have updated to the latest Adobe Reader, the version = 10.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Josh,

Sorry for the dig, frustration.

I can give you a breakdown on various browsers if you wish. I currently rub Adobe reader 10.1.1. IE8, Vista Bus

My problems are mainly trying to download PDFs though a browser, some are worse than others. What happens is that I connect ok, then - say the PDF is 2.5mb I see in the systray area 25kb of 2.5mb downloading, then it goes up to about 200k, if I'm in luck I may see the 44 page 2.5mb doc after an hour or two, no kidding.

IE8 is the current browser I use, yes I know, I have to use  a selection of browsers - as a consultqant I have to see what others see so I tend to be behind the crest of the wave in installing latest kit (except updates - security etc)

It won't kill me to use FF to do what I have been previously doing, it is just the annoyance factor if I forget and use IE.

FYI I will try this again using IE9 Win7 64 bit (which is also lacking IMHO, when are MS going to abide by the rules?) (New, alternate PC)

I'll update you with the result of this test later today (Fri 6th).

Regards Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe 9 was way more better than Acrobat 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines