• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat X Pro won't start

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My old PC died and I installed all my old software on the replacement. Adobe CS6 Web Premium has all worked for a month but now (only) Acrobat X Pro will not run. It is associated with PDF extensions but I can neither open it from the link in the Start menu nor when I try to open a PDF file. I haven't installed Acrobat Reader so there cannot be conflict with that. I ran the Adobe updater app but Acrobat wasn't showing so I don't know how to force an update of just Acrobat. The only other thing I can think of trying is to re-install the whole CS6 suite again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

for acrobat part of a suite, use:

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

restart your computer after cleaning and then reinstall acrobat using the suite installation files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Commiserations to cassiej0m. If you find a successful fix, please share.

Kglad, I'd consider that solution but the machine was brand new on 21 Dec. 2017 and the first thing I did was install a new download of Office and my original CS6 dowload. Yes, the data is on another drive but the OS & software drive is untainted. During setup Win10 installed the Creator Update on 21 Dec. and all worked fine for a couple of months. When I look at "View installed update history" (under control panel/setup) I notice that the first and second instance of the Acrobat failures coincide each time with a "Cumulative update for Win10" and also a "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64". If I restore my OS drive, presumably I'd be stepping back before these updates and I'd need to do the full Win10 update sequence before installing Acrobat 10? If I'm right in assuming that the automatic Win10 updates are having an effect I could be affected any time there is another update, couldn't I?

I'm pretty sure I could go through the Acrobat removal like last time and re-install it and all would probably be fine (possibly until the next Patch Tuesday). If you could share your thoughts on my comments I'll either restore the OS drive or uninstall and then re-install Acrobat. Either way I want to get to a place where I can continue working without further failures – and having to line software publishers' pockets despite the software I've paid for being completely adequate for my needs.

Many thanks

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if ms is breaking your installation the only options are update win and fix acrobat every month or so, or forego some of the ms updates.

to be sure, adobe's not going to fix the problem by issuing an update to acrobat x making it compatible with your os.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I went through the uninstall>AcrobatCleaner>Reboot>re-install>reboot. All back to normal now, so I think this will be a monthly headache I'll have to bear. I may switch off the automatic MS updates so that I can see if next Patch Tuesday I can still use Acrobat. That'll be quite interesting.

Thanks for your help, kglad.

Good luck to Cassie!

Cheers

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resurrecting an old thread, but only because I found a relevant answer today. This is a known issue with CS6/Acrobat and reinstalling will only buy you another 30 days. There is a fix described here: Doesn't launch after 30 days | Installed as part of a CS6 suite

You can run their .exe which will handle the command prompt work for you, or manually do it if you prefer.

This problem only happened for me after I wiped my HD, switched to UEFI/GPT, and installed Win10. Previously this machine had Legacy BIOS enabled (it came with Win7 and was upgraded to Win10) and I had no issues with Acrobat. Since reformatting, I've had the issue every 30 days. Fingers crossed that this fix works as advertised.

UPDATE: Reporting back on 1/7/2019 after over 40 days. The problem has not resurfaced, so the linked solution seems to be a permanent fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm. I had this issue come up a month ago, reinstalled CS6, then came up again today.

Thanks for this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix provided by Josh worked for me as well.

Had the same exact problem as the OP, and after reinstalling, it worked. But stopped again after some time.

I was actually reading a PDF when the application just shut down. Trying to open Adobe again didn't work.

But the fix worked after running the executable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing as I'm the OP, I'd like to thank Josh for bringing this fix to all our attention. I've just tried it after my usual monthly Acrobat death throes and it fixed it without having to do the re-install. Brilliant!

Let's hope that next month it doesn't die all over again.

Thanks again, Josh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortinately I read through all of the posts and found Josh\s that for now provides the answer to the initial issue of not being able to open Acrobat X in Windows 10.  I was about to start following the steps shown above when Josh seems to have found the fix . This probelm occurred for me on February 28, 2020.  

Thanks Josh for your diligent research for a much simpler solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad you posted this fix.  It's been driving me mad for ages!  I'm now happily able to use Acrobat X Pro again! Woohooooo!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that link. It's really helpful. I'll try to check back in a month or so to confirm the problem is actually gone now! But even if it itsn't it was an easier fix than uninstall/clean/reinstall!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to the thanks for the Adobe Acrobat Pro string. Today is 10/05/2020 and I just found this post. Thanks to Josh for sharing his knowledge/find. I tried it today and, as of now, it seems to have fixed my problem of the Pro version being dead. So very very Cool, dude! Wahoooooo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12/23/20 - I was also running into the same problem.  Every 30 days my Pro X would fail to open and i would have to uninstall and reinstall the program (been doing this for about a year).  Today this happened again where in the program closed while reading a file, sure enough it's been 30 days since reinstall.  Found Josh's post, ran the "fix" file and was noted, worked on step #1, extremely easy. 

After running the file, was able to open Pro X right off the bat (no uninstall / reinstall required). 

Thanks for the help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can this please be marked as the correct answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've used Acrofix.exe numerous times over the years, each time I installed Acrobat X Pro on a new machine or had to reinstall on an old one.  Had to reinstall again today and Acrofix doesn't fix the problem.  Acrobat closes after 15 seconds.  Anyone know if this is still supposed to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this repair .exe disabling hole program ( adobe acrobat x). big thanks to person can solve this broblem.
any dll repair dont work /dll32 (some help on internet site). and adobe own program to solve program problem
and destroy whole (adobe acrobat x : full lisense).thanks adobe, what i can do? if i buy this in Finland you are
sell this law in europe/finland and this kind of disabling in some options or part of lisensed program is NOT
LEGAL in this country. please contact direcly for me. pnieminen74@ you know me adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines