• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

activate adobe acrobat 8 standard [Acrobat 8 is dead]

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an older version that I wish to activate. How can I do that?

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

hi,

you can no longer activate acrobat 8.  follow the steps here to install an acrobat 8 that needs no activation, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/activation-fails-cs3-acrobat-8.html

if that fails read this, https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2385900

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

you can no longer activate acrobat 8.  follow the steps here to install an acrobat 8 that needs no activation, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/activation-fails-cs3-acrobat-8.html

if that fails read this, https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2385900

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When transfering my Acrobat 8 standard to a new computer, I thought I had solved the periodic reactivation nagging I used to get from my old installation by following (to the letter) the Adobe instructions re obtaining a new serial number and installing a version (that would not require activation) from the designated alternative server.  However, three weeks after doing this, I got messages on opening Acrobat that my grace period had ended, and that to continue using it I needed to get an e-licence from a link that no longer appears to be operative.

So I thought that the solution offered in thread 2385900 would do the trick, and after uninstalling Acrobat I also deleted ...\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD before redownloading the installation file.  But unlike the CS3 experience described in the thread, I got no mid-download request to point to a missing AdobePCD.dll file.  And after seemingly installing Acrobat 8 successfully, when I open it I get an error message "A serious error has been detected and Adobe EPIC_APP cannot continue.  Please reinstall the application and try again."

Does anyone have any advice for resolving this?  I do also have Reader DC on my computer, and I'm wondering whether I also need to uninstall that before deleting the ...\Adobe PCD directory for the procedure described in the thread for CS3 to work for my Acrobat 8 installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat 8 is very old and not compatible with any current operating system. It's time to get a new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true 8 works great with Windows 7 just will not activate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Not compatible" doesn't mean it doesn't work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is Windows 7 a current OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir, in my case... I could not activate with the usual Adobe telephone line. I was re-directed to adobe/com/go/activation. Unfortunately, Acrobat 8 Standard was not on the list... What do l do to be able to activate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing. It can't be be activated any longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is that relevant to Acrobat 8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

POPPYCOCK! It worked just fine in Windows 10 Pro.  Stop lying to people!  Do you get paid from Adobe to lie to people?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What lies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lie that Adobe Acrobat Standard 8 is incompatable with the newer systems. It is NOT incompatable...perhaps you need to look up that word.  If the program works it is not incompatable. Windows has a program to make such software compatible, if it doesn't work..LOL! That word "incompatible" is the catch all term for when companies want to force us to buy newer versions and it is tantamount to extortion.  Adobe can stop supporting any software they provide, however, when you purchase that software, they cannot stop you from using it, EVER! 

FYI...You can still run windows 95!  Microsoft doesn't support it...but they cannot stop you from using it. Believe it or not, there isn't 10 people in the world that know the full potential of Windows 95, and contrary to the opinion of WildP which you support, Windows 95 is STILL a CURRENT and POPULAR OS in many parts of the world.

Since you are obviously so loving of Adobe products maybe you should start a Class Action Law Suit instead of promoting the crimes Adobe commits of what is tantamount to extortion.  You know full well why Adobe killed the licensing prosess and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with support! You obviously didn't pay for the Adobe Acrobat Standard 8, but many people did...you just can't sell something and then take it back when you want them to buy a newer version.  I take that back, obviously you believe Adobe can extort from their customers.  Are you an employee of Adobe? You sure stand up for them like you are.

So again, I say POPPYCOCK to your claim that Adobe Acrobat Standard 8 is incompatable with any system, if it works, it is compatable!  That is why Microsoft places the compatibility portion of the OS in all Windows Operating Systems.  Don't believe me...ask Microsoft!

Same with 98, ME, Vista, etc. etc. Adobe has committed a crime when it sells something like the Standard 8 and then removes it by changing the licensing agreement.  They cannot do that but, it is sad that most people do not know that.  Since you are infactuated with the Adobe Company why not start a class action law suit and support the little people like Thorglis and others who Adobe now commits the act of extortion? Show the people here that you support them and not just a corporate criminal like Adobe. Show the people that you won't just act like an extension of the criminality of extorting money for new software.   LET'S FORCE THEM LITTLE PEOPLE TO BUY NEW PRODUCTS FROM US!  Yes sir, anyone who supports extortion on a corporate level is a criminal just like the mob enforcers.  

Next, Adobe may send people like you out in the field like the mob, to brow beat people into paying them for new software when the old software works just fine.  I think that upsets you Adobe guys the most...that acrobat standard 8 and others old software actually do work in the newer systems. lol!  How much does Adobe pay you to lie for them?  Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't lie!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you do lie and I proved it! You are just in that state of denial. How
much does Adobe pay you to lie for them? LOL!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! You think screwing people over is funny, huh? I guess that would be
funny to a criminal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the software world "incompatible" doesn't mean "it won't work", necessarily. It means it is not meant to run in that specific environment, and not tested to run on it. It could still very well work, but it's not a supported configuration.

Also, Acrobat 8 is dead anyway, so this whole discussion is moot. You can't activate it at all.

And please refrain from telling the users who post here they are liars. That's an excellent way to get banned from these forums. Oh, and the only people here who get paid by Adobe have an "Adobe Employee" badge under their names. The rest are users, just like you, volunteering their time and knowledge to help others, so be a bit more respectful, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I just came here today to find out what to do about not being able to activate my Acrobat 8 Pro that I just installed on a replacement laptop. In searching for an answer, I came across this thread.

I will try to be respectful, but I WILL state facts. I bought the program years ago, and used it, and now I installed it on areplacement unit, and it seems to function just fine, except it says I have 30 days to activate it. In doing my research, there seems to be no way to activate it, which will render it useless.

I fully understand the company ending its support. No problem. But the fact is that not supplying a way around the activation MAKES it useless, not the program itself. And it is dead not because it died, but because the policy killed it.

Just to point out what I mean, I have a 1981 truck I use very often. No, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does what I need. But wouldn't it be ridiculous to find out that if I needed to replace the tires, that would cause the engine to no longer function?

Adobe has fine products. But acting to force a purchase is not good business. I simply don't have funds to get a new replacement so I will do without. But this leaves me with a bad taste.

Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to complain and threaten Adobe to take them to court. I did that
and they acknowledged that my purchase of Acrobat 8 was a lifetime...they
then sent me the license for Acrobat X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very interesting precedent. Can you share some more information, please? When was this (Acrobat X is long "dead", too, so it's a bit surprising they gave you that version)? Where was this? Was there a court ruling, or did you just threaten and then settle out of court?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I purchased Acrobat Standard 8 it was a lifetime license. Then Adobe
changed the license to try to force us to buy the monthly version and I
complained about that. Then Adobe gave me the new license on Acrobat 8.
Here is the legal stand. Adobe has the right to stop supporting their
product. However, they cannot take the product away from those that
purchased it without providing a replacement. For instance, Microsoft no
longer supports Windows 95; 98; etc. etc. But, they cannot take those
products away from those that purchased them. Believe it or not, there are
still people in the world who use Windows 95.

Usually companies state how long they will support a product. But, as with
many, and companies love it, when people think they must purchase a new
product because the company no longer supports the product. Not supporting
the product and taking the product away when you purchased a lifetime
license are two distinct matters. One does not condone the other. Non
support does not mean they can remove or prohibit you from using the
product you paid for. If you complain loud enough, and show them you are
willing to take them to court they will probably send you the license to
Acrobat X.

Yes, you are correct, Adobe does not support Acrobat X. But, they did not
remove it and I am sure they will in the future.But, and I am sure their
legal department agreed, they simply have to replace Acrobat 8, 9, X etc
etc with another license for those like me who purchased the product with a
"GUARANTEED LIFETIME LICENSE".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware of the situation and agree with your description, but you didn't really answer my questions...

Did you actually go to court? Or just threaten them to? When did this happen? Where are you based?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines