Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a color background in a box on a PDF document using Abobe Acrobat Pro Dc

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2016 Mar 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

How do I add a color background in a box on a PDF doc on Adobe Acrobat Pro DC? I initially drew the box, then I went to the background tab to add the color I wanted, and the whole page color was changed. I am trying to apply the color only in the box I have drawn.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Hi zolam56253661,

If you are trying to fill colour in the text box background, then select box and press "Ctrl+E". You will get the Text box properties.

Select the colour from fill colour icon. Check screenshot for same.

1.PNG

Let us know if this resolves your issue.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi zolam56253661,

If you are trying to fill colour in the text box background, then select box and press "Ctrl+E". You will get the Text box properties.

Select the colour from fill colour icon. Check screenshot for same.

1.PNG

Let us know if this resolves your issue.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did, thanks a zillion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I press "Ctrl+E" I'm still unable to change the fill color.  My properties box pops up like below.  I'm simply trying to fill a text box white in Edit mode, so that the text appears on the colored PDF background.  These used to be two separate options...

Untitled picture.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a comment text box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue and Ctrl+E only changes the alignment of the text in the box. If I do Ctrl+E without selecting anything, the Properties box opens up, but tells me there no current selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! This worked for me. I have been trying for months to figure out what I did that caused my text box not to show what I typed. I have Acrobat 9 which is an old version. I have newer versions on other computers and have not had this problem on those computers. This has been driving me crazy!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to Acrobat Pro DC several years ago  I've been unable to get any "response" from the color selection for text box fills.  Unlike previous Acrobat Pro versions, the identical text box fill color selections yield no results in DC version, in spite of correct selections.  The majority of my web searches merely parrot "correct" procedures, while often ignoring numerous Pro DC users' complaints about this apparent "bug".  I fully understand and follow correct DC Pro procedures for adding or modifying text box fill color selections.  Problem:  DC Pro is dysfunctional - it doesn't work.  I've used all Acrobat Pro versions since version 4.  I suspect I'll simply have to resume use of my Fully-Functional (and "portable") Acrobat 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I occasionally need to "white out" something on a printed form, I'll scan the document as a PDF then open the document in Photoshop where, using the paintbrush tool, I can cover the error in a color to match the document's color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you. The text box properties box has never worked. I've had this problem ever since I first got Adobe Pro. It simply doesn't work and I am questioning why I am paying out money each month for something that promises so much but offers so little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Ctrl-E does nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Acrobat Pro exactly (“latest” is not what we are looking for)?

Mac or Windows?

What tool is selected?

what tool added the box?

please answer all the questions thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue as the others. Cntrl-E doesn't really do anything. Sometimes the properties box comes up but all it says is "no current selection," even if I have the text box selected.

To answer your questions:

What version of Acrobat Pro exactly (“latest” is not what we are looking for)?

Is this what you need?

Mac or Windows?

Windows

What tool is selected?

I've tried using "add text" and "edit."

what tool added the box?

Add text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not what we were discussing here. You're adding static text. The properties for that are available in the panel on the right.

The floating properties toolbar that opens with Ctrl+E only works for comments and form fields (of a certain type).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to do the same thing (add colour to the background of a text box). I am not making a form and not adding a comment. It seems that there is no option in acrobat DC to do this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It it's not a comment, and not a form field, then what kind of text box is it?  If you are looking at it using the "Edit PDF" tool panel, then it is page content. If this is the case then there is no real text box. This is more of a text area. If you'd like to put a background behind it you have to do a bit more work. 

1) Place a rectangle markup on the page of the correct size with the backgound and broder you want.

2) Move this rectangle over top the text with the positioning you want.

3) Flatten the page content - you can download a free flattener here: https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Free_Acrobat_Automation_Tools.cfm

4) Open up the "Edit PDF" tool panel. 

5) Select the rectangle.

6) Select "Send to Back" from the editing tools on the right side of the Acrobat Window. TEst.png

That's it, you now have a background box behind the text.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then what's the answer to the person question.

I add a text box, then copied text into it. Cant get to properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following youtube video will show you step by step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFOWJa4F_90

In this video, I will show you, How to change shape color of pdf document in Adobe Acrobat Pro. ** Premium Service ** http://bit.ly/2TiFH5l http://bit.ly/2NaJtY9 http://bit.ly/2IezzWG Facebook Page: https://goo.gl/mVvmvA https://goo.gl/FmZ84U Please Subscribe My Channel: https://goo.gl/9kkcty ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Control E does nothing. Hoe can a simple color fill change within a box be so difficult@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a nightmare.  I'm also trying to change the background colour of objects.  It seems way complicated.  I've tried the above suggestions and still can't get it right. I have a shap/text box and select ctrl E.  No properties.  

Can someone explain what a 'text area' is.  All I want to do is insert a shape/text box and edit its colour. 

terryt28704289_0-1600436317649.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to make a quick text change to a scanned document. This is how I did it:

Open the tool "comment". Draw a rectangle. Right click on the rectangle and choose "properties".

Choose the color you want for the box. I chose white to match the paper background.

Now, if you want to type something over that white box, print document and save as pdf. Rename document. 

Open the "new" document, open tool "edit". Add a text box and type in your text. Adjust font to match your other text. Close your tool box and save document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I also realized you DON'T need to rewrite your comments in this new text box - just place the text box exactly where you want your background box border, then set opacity to 20% or so.  You may need to mess with colors to get the exact tone you want, but this will give you a nice lightly colored background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this helps someone.  The recurring problem is that the properties box to change the background of a box of text (i.e. <contrl><e>) is only available in a very narrow set of conditions in Adobe.  Who in the heck knows why this was designed like this, but I am sure the designers had a reason.  Anyway, the only  condition is if you following the following steps.  YOU CANNOT CHANGE TEXT BACKGROUND BY USING THE "ADD TEXT" ICON--you will be stuck in perdition and burn forever if you do this.

1.  open the document  you want to add text to.

2.  click on the tools button (just to the right of the "Home") whihc will bring up a list of icons, with groups such as create & edit, review & approve, forms & signatures, etc.  Click on the "Comment" icon  under Review and Approve.  

3.  Then click the text box icon on the Comment Ribbon (its a square box with text letter "T" in it).

4.  Creat the text you  want in the new COMMENT text box that appears, adjusting the text style you desire per the controls listed.

5.  Hit enter or click outside the box so the text box is set into the document.

6.  Click on it again and move it into the desired position.

7.  At this point point the back ground might be satisfactory for you since by default it has a white background.  If not, NOW  you can select the box, after you move it, and you can hit <contrl><e> and a properties box will come up.  Or, sometimes, you can click on the outside border and right click to   bring up the "properties" option.  Either way, on the right side of this box is a "Fill Color" option.  Use that to change the background color to what you need.  You can also select the box "Make Properties Default" so that future Comment Text Boxes will have the same properties.

8. Please, someone, have a better day! 

God bless!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou @russellg54391071 you have saved me from the fire, apprexciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines