• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding custom paper size to Adobe Acrobat.

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm a performance librarian and I recently just got my xerox machine connected to my network. We do not use conventional paper sizes so Acrobat doesn't recognize that the PDF is 10x13 and when I chose "print by source PDF" it changes the page size in the window where it displays what's being printed to "10.13x14.33" and it should just be 10x13.

how can I add these dimensions as congenital paper sizes to Adobe so it can recognize it? 10x13 and 9x12?

any suggestions would help. 

and to further be 10 steps ahead of "did you mean this...?" No, I do not mean scaling down the PDF or resizing it to these dimensions. I need it to recognize the actual sized source to print to.

thanks.

examples are posted below. As you can see it scales it down 80 on the page. Which is wrong, and scaling it to the full 100 oversizes it. 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat can "recognize" page sizes of any dimensions. The issue is most likely with your scanner settings. Could it be adding a fixed border to the pages you're scanning with it? Or it might just not generate the PDF files correctly. If you could share a sample file with us it will be easier to help you with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a sample of the same in the picture above. It will suggest the size of paper is larger than what the PDF was originally scanned at. 

I just want to know how to add custom paper as 10x13 or 9x12 so it will automatically "fit to size" when printing orchestral material on the paper I have precut. AS it is standard regulation with MOLA for Orchestra's to perform off from. Thanks. 

I've tried going into the Adobe PDF and adding a custom size and it doesn't accept it. I'm not entire sure where else to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, clarity here -- going into "Device and Printers" and then "Print Preferences" in the Adobe PDF and it gives a custom paper entry but when I add it rejects it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean now, but this is not a good way of scaling the pages. To do that you should use the Preflight tool, but a better solution is to check the scanner settings, as I've suggested before.

Also, I don't see why this is necessary. If you print the file using the Fit option it will work just as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, I'm not on MacOS. I'm on Windows. I did figure it out in the end in the original printer page settings.

Im curious if there's a much easier solution. Because if I do have 8.5x11 scans that I want to enlarge to 10x13 or 9x12 page, a fit to scale would be nice. But Adobe doesn't do that on Windows. Hmm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually doesn't work well. Because if the print options are scaling it down to fit to 8.5x11 and I'm printing it onto 10x13 and need to fit to size and centered it doesn't do that. Just prints 8.5x11 size but centered on 10x13... you see??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> you see??

No, not really... The page is scaled automatically to fit the paper you print it on when you select the Fit option. If the width/height ratio of the two is not the same (like in your scenario) it will scale the page contents as much as possible and will leave a blank border at the edge of the side that can't be matched. It will not distort the contents to fit the page perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> But Adobe doesn't do that on Windows.

Actually, it's the other way around. The Adobe PDF printer only exists on Windows, not on Mac computers. But using it is not the right way to solve your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right.... But the Preflight tool is also on Windows too?? It's only on MacOS, pal. I know. I use both platforms.

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is, "pal"... But it seems you know better, so good luck with your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But the Preflight tool is also on Windows too??

The preflight tool is available in Acrobat Pro on Windows and Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines